Optimal Packet Scheduling Algorithms for Token-Bucket Based Rate Control
In this paper, we consider a scenario in which the source has been offered QoS guarantees subject to token-bucket regulation. The rate of the source should be controlled such that it conforms to the token-bucket regulation, and also the distortion obtained is the minimum. We have developed an optimal scheduling algorithm for offline (like pre-recorded video) sources with convex distortion function and which can not tolerate any delay. This optimal offline algorithm has been extended for the real-time online source by predicting the number of packets that the source may send in future. The performance of the online scheduler is not substantially degraded as compared to that of the optimal offline scheduler. A sub-optimal offline algorithm has also been developed to reduce the computational complexity and it is shown to perform very well. We later consider the case where the source can tolerate a fixed amount of delay and derive optimal offline algorithm for such traffic source.
- ？Z. Miao and A. Ortega, 'Optimal scheduling for streaming of scalable media,' in Proc. Asilomar Conf Signals, Systems, and Computers, CA, Nov. 2000
- ？The video trace files, available at http://www-tkn.ee.tu-berlin.de/research /trace/trace.html, May 2003
- ？C.-Y. Hsu, A. Ortega, and A. R. Reibman, 'Joint selection of source and channel rate for VBR video transmission under ATM policing constraints,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 15, pp. 1016-1028, Aug. 1997
- ？M. Hamdi, J. W. Roberts, and P. Rolin, 'Rate control for VBR video coders in broad-band networks,' IEEE J. Select. Areas. Commun., vol. 15, pp. 1040-1051, Aug. 1997
- ？P. Shah and A. Karandikar, 'Optimal packet length scheduling for regulated media streaming,' IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 409-411, Aug. 2003
- P.-Y. Cheng, J. Li, and C.-C. J. Kuo, 'Rate control for an embedded wavelet video coder,' IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 696-702, Aug. 1997
- ？D. A. Turner and K. W. Ross, 'Optimal streaming of a synchronized multimedia presentation with layered objects,' in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Multimedia and Expo, New York, July 2000
- ？S. Keshav, An Engineering Approach to Computer Networking, Addison Wesley, 2001
- ？A. Lombardo and G. Schembra, 'Performance evaluation of an adaptiverate MPEG encoder matching IntServ traffic constraints,' IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 47-65, Feb. 2003
- ？P. A. Chou and Z. Miao, 'Rate-distortion optimized streaming of packetized media,' MSR-TR-2001-35, Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, USA, Feb. 2001
- ？Z. Wang, Internet QoS: Architectures and Mechanisms for Quality of Service, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2001
- ？A. Ortega, K. Ramchandran, and M. Vitterli, 'Optimal trellis-based buffered compression and fast approximation,' IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 26-40, Jan. 1994
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기