Blends of Silicone Rubber and Liquid Crystalline Polymer
Blends of silicone rubber (VMQ) and liquid crystalline polymer (LCP) were prepared by the melt mixing technique. Mechanical, XRD, thermal and dynamic mechanical investigations are reported for the pure silicone rubber and blends. The mechanical properties, viz. the tensile strength, tear strength and elongation at break, of the silicone rubber decreased with the addition of LCP. The SEM study on the tensile fractured surface of the blends revealed that they had a two phase structure, and that the failure was mainly due to fiber pull out, which suggests that the VMQ and LCP are incompatible in all of the proportions examined in this study. However, the FTIR study shows that there was a partial interaction between the VMQ and LCP, but which may not be sufficient to grip the fibrils under the applied load. In the XRD analysis, it was observed that the crystalline structure of the silicone rubber deteriorated in the presence of LCP. The DMA study suggested that the storage modulus of the silicone rubber was improved with the addition of LCP, due to the high modulus of the LCP phase. The thermal stability of the silicone rubber was greatly reduced by the addition of LCP, due to the latter having a thermal stability lower than that of silicone rubber.
- G.W. Calundann and M. Jaffe, Proc. R. A. Welch Conf. Chem. Res., Houston, 246 (1982)
- Y. Ide and Z. Ophir, Polym. Eng. Sci., 23, 261 (1983)
- S. H. Jung and S. C. Kim, Polym. J., 20, 73 (1988)
- H. J. Sang and S. K. Bong, Polym. Eng. Sci., 35, 6 (1995)
- A. I. Isayev and M. Modic, Polymer Composites, 8, 158 (1987)
- A. I. Isayev and T. Limtasiri, The International Encyclopedia of Composites, S. M. Lee, ed., VCH Publishers, New York, 1990, Vol. 3, pp 55
- N. G. Sahoo and C. K. Das, Polym. -Plast. Technol. Eng., 41, 619 (2002)
- G. Crevecoeur and G. Groeninckx, Polym. Eng. Sci., 30, 532 (1990)
- W. Huh, R. Weiss, and L. Nicolais, SPE ANTECH, 32, 306 (1986)
- P. J. Collings and M. Hird, Introduction to Liquid Crystals, Taylor and Francis, London, 1997
- T. Murayama, Dynamic Mechanical Analysis of Polymeric Materials, Elsevier, New York, 1978
- K. G. Blizard and D. G. Baird, SPEANTEC, 32, 311 (1986)
- S. Raychowdhury and C. K. Das, Polymers & Polymer Composites, 8, 177 (2000)
- D. Dutta, H. fruitwala, A. Kohli, and R. A. Weiss, Polym. Eng. Sci., 30, 1005 (1990)
- L. E. Nielsen and R. F. Landel, Mechanical Properties of Polymers and Composites, 2nd Ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 1994
- G. Kiss, Polym. Eng. Sci., 27, 410 (1987)
- A. M. Sukhadia, D. Done, and D. G. Baird, Polym. Eng. Sci., 30, 519 (1990)
- W. Brostow, Kunstoffe German Plastics, 78, 15 (1988)
- A. I. Isayev and S. Swaminathan, Advanced Composites III, Expanding Ttechnology, ASM, 259 (1989); U.S. Patent 4, 835,047 (1989)
- K. G. Blizard and D. G. Baird, Polym. Eng. Sci., 27, 653 (1987)
- A. Siegman, A. Dagan, and S. Kenig, Polymer, 26, 1325 (1985)
- C. U. Ko and G. L. Wilkes, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 37, 3063 (1989)
- L. J. Bellamy, The Infrared Spectra of Complex Molecules, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd Ed., New York, 1958
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2008. "" Macromolecular research, 16(6): 481~488
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기