Effects of strain hardening of steel reinforcement on flexural strength and ductility of concrete beams
In the design of reinforced concrete beams, it is a standard practice to use the yield stress of the steel reinforcement for the evaluation of the flexural strength. However, because of strain hardening, the tensile strength of the steel reinforcement is often substantially higher than the yield stress. Thus, it is a common belief that the actual flexural strength should be higher than the theoretical flexural strength evaluated with strain hardening ignored. The possible increase in flexural strength due to strain hardening is a two-edge sword. In some cases, it may be treated as strength reserve contributing to extra safety. In other cases, it could lead to greater shear demand causing brittle shear failure of the beam or unexpected greater capacity of the beam causing violation of the strong column-weak beam design philosophy. Strain hardening may also have certain effect on the flexural ductility. In this paper, the effects of strain hardening on the post-peak flexural behaviour, particularly the flexural strength and ductility, of reinforced normal- and high-strength concrete beams are studied. The results reveal that the effects of strain hardening could be quite significant when the tension steel ratio is relatively small.
- British Standards Institution, BS 4449 (1988), Specification for Hot Rolled Steel Bars for the Reinforcement of Concrete, London, UK, 11pp
- Ho, J.C.M., Kwan, A.K.H. and Pam, H.J. (2003), 'Theoretical analysis of post-peak flexural behaviour of nonnal- and high-strength concrete beams', Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 12(2), 109-125
- Kwan, A.K.H., Ho, J.C.M. and Pam, H.J (2004), 'Effects of concrete grade and steel yield strength on flexural ductility of reinforced concrete beams', Australian J. Struct. Eng., 5(2), 119-138
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1984), 'Seismic design of bridge piers', Research Report 84-2, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Pam, H.J., Kwan, A.K.H. and Ho, J.C.M. (2001), 'Post-peak behavior and flexural ductility of doubly reinforced normal-and high-strength concrete beams', Struct. Eng. Mech., 12(5),459-474
- Park, R. and Paulay, T. (1975), Reinforced Concrete Structures, John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA, 769pp
- Attard, M.M. and Setunge, S. (1996), 'The stress strain relationship of confined and unconfined concrete', ACI Mater. J, 93(5), 432-444
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2009. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 32(6): 705~724
- 2011. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 40(4): 541~562
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기