Storey-based stability analysis of multi-storey unbraced frames
This paper presents a practical method to evaluate the effective length factors for columns in multi-storey unbraced frames based on the concept of storey-based elastic buckling by means of decomposing a multi-storey frame into a series of single-storey partially-restrained (PR) frames. The lateral stiffness of the multi-storey unbraced frame is derived and expressed as the product of the lateral stiffness of each storey. Thus, the stability analysis for the multi-storey frame is conducted by investigating the lateral stability of each individual storey, which is facilitated through decomposing the multi-storey frame into a series of single-storey PR frames and applying the storey-based stability analysis proposed by the authors (Xu and Liu 2002) for each single-storey PR frame. Prior to introducing decomposition approaches, the end rotational stiffness of an axially load column is derived and rotational stiffness interaction between the upper and lower columns is investigated. Three decomposition approaches, characterized by means of distributing beam-to-column rotational-restraining stiffness between the upper and lower columns, are proposed. The procedure of calculating storey-based column effective length factors is presented. Numerical examples are then given to illustrate the effectiveness of the proposed procedure.
- AISC (1989), Manual of Steel Construction: Allowable Stress Design, 9th Edition, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, III
- AISC (2001), Manual of Steel Constrnction: Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD), 3rd Edition, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, III
- Aristizabal-Ochoa, J.D. (1997), 'Storey stability of braced, partially braced, and unbraced frames: Classical approach,' J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 123(6), 799-806
- Bjorhovde, R. (1984), 'Effect of end restraint on column strength - Practical applications', Eng J., AISC, 21(1), 1-13
- Bridge, R.Q. and Fraster, D.J. (1987), 'Improved G-factor method for evaluating effective lengths of column', J. Struct. Eng, ASCE, 113(6), 1341-1356
- Chen, W.F. and Lui, E.M. (1987), Structural Stability - Theory and Implication, Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc., New York
- Duan, L. and Chen, W.F. (1989), 'Effective length factor for columns in unbraced frames', J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 115(1), 149-165
- Julian, O.G. and Lawrence, L.S. (1959), Notes on J and L nomographs for determination of effective lengths, Unpublished Report
- LeMessurier, W.J. (1977), 'A practical method of second order analysis, Part 2-rigid frame', Eng. J., AISC, 14(2), 49-67
- Livesley, R.K. (1975), Matrix Methods of Structural Analysis, 2nd Ed., Pergamon Press Ltd., Headington Hill Hall, Oxford
- Lui, E.M. (1992), 'A novel approach for K factor determination', Eng. J., AISC, 29(4), 150-159
- Majid, K.I. (1972), Non-Linear Structures, Butterworth & Co. Ltd.
- Shanmugam, N.E. and Chen, W.F. (1995), 'An assessment of K factor formulas', Eng. J., AISC, 32(1), 3-11
- Xu, L. and Liu, Y. (2002), 'Storey-based effective length factors for unbraced PR frames', Eng. J., AISC, 39(1), 13-29
- Xu, L., Liu, Y. and Chen (2001), 'Stability of unbraced frames under non-proportional loading', Struct. Eng. Mech., 11(1), 1-16
- Yura, J.A. (1971), 'The effective length of column in unbraced frame', Eng. J., AISC, 8(2), 37-42
- Roddis, W.M.K., Hamid, H.A. and Guo, C.Q. (1998), 'K factor for unbraced frames: Alignment chart accuracy for practical frame variations', Eng. J., AISC, 35(3), 81-93
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (5)
- 2007. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 26(4): 441~457
- 2007. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 26(6): 651~672
- 2007. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 27(3): 293~310
- 2009. "" Steel & Composite structures : an international journal, 9(6): 499~518
- 2010. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 35(4): 431~457
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기