Statistical models from weigh-in-motion data
This paper aims at formulating various statistical models for the study of a ten year Weigh-in-Motion (WIM) data collected from various WIM stations in Hong Kong. In order to study the bridge live load model it is important to determine the mathematical distributions of different load affecting parameters such as gross vehicle weights, axle weights, axle spacings, average daily number of trucks etc. Each of the above parameters is analyzed by various stochastic processes in order to obtain the mathematical distributions and the Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) method is adopted to calculate the statistical parameters, expected values and standard deviations from the given samples of data. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov (K-S) method of approach is used to check the suitability of the statistical model selected for the particular parameter and the Monte Carlo method is used to simulate the distributions of maximum value stochastic processes of a series of given stochastic processes. Using the statistical analysis approach the maximum value of gross vehicle weight and axle weight in bridge design life has been determined and the distribution functions of these parameters are obtained under both free-flowing traffic and dense traffic status. The maximum value of bending moments and shears for wide range of simple spans are obtained by extrapolation. It has been observed that the obtained maximum values of the gross vehicle weight and axle weight from this study are very close to their legal limitations of Hong Kong which are 42 tonnes for gross weight and 10 tonnes for axle weight.
- Ang, A.H.S. and Tang, W.H. (1984), Probabilistic Concepts in Engineering Planning and Design, Vol. 2, John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Benjamin, J.R. and Cornell, C.A. (1970), Probability, Statistics, and Decision for Civil Engineers, McGraw-Hill Book Company, USA
- Hahn, J. and Samuel. (1994), Statistical Models in Engineering, New York, John Wiley
- Harman, D.J. and Davenport, A.G. (1976), The Formulation of Vehicular Loading for the Design of Highway Bridges in Ontario, Ontario joint transportation and communications research program
- Heywood, R.J. (1992), 'A multiple presence load model for bridges', Proc. of ASCE Conf. on Probabilistic Mechanics and Structural and Geotechnical Reliability, Denver, Colorado
- Heywood, R.J. (1992), 'Bridge live load models from weigh-in-motion data', Ph.D. Thesis, University of Queensland, Australia
- Illinois (1999), Programming with SPSS Syntax and Macros (v10.0 Revised), SPSS Inc., Chicago
- Kottegoda and Rosso (1998), Statistics, Probability, and Reliability for Civil and Environmental Engineers, McGraw-Hill International Editions, Singapore
- Lin, Z.M. (1990), The Reliability Design and Estimation of Structural Engineering (in Chinese)
- Miao, T.J. (2001), 'Bridge live load models with the special reference to Hong Kong', Ph.D thesis, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Miao, T.J. and Chan, T.H.T (2002), 'Bridge live load models from WIM data', Eng. Struct., 24, 1071-1084
- Norman, L.J. (1994), Continuous Univariate Distributions, New York, Wiley & Sons
- Nowak, A.S. (1991), 'Proposed LRFD bridge design code', Austroads Conference, Brisbane
- Nowak, A.S. (1994), 'Load model for bridge design code', Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 21, 36-49
- Nowak, A.S. and Collins, K.R. (2000), Reliability of Structures, McGraw Hill, New York
- Rohatgi, V.K. (1976), An Instruction to Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics
- Seshadri, (1993), The Inverse Gaussian Distribution: A Case Study in Exponential Families, Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- Tweedie, M.C.K. (1957), 'Statistical properties of inverse Gaussian distributions, I', Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 28, 362-337
- Tweedie, M.C.K. (1957), 'Statistical properties of inverse Gaussian distributions, II, Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 28, 696-705
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2016. "" Smart structures and systems, 17(6): 995~1015
- 2016. "" Smart structures and systems, 17(6): 1087~1105
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기