An approach for failure analysis of composite bridge deck systems with openings
Design details pertaining to the connection between some recently developed fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composite deck systems and the supporting girders require openings through cells of the deck. This significantly changes the stress distribution in these components. As a result, the conventional assumptions that deck designs are controlled by their stiffness, and not strength, needs a closer examination. This paper proposes an analytical method to investigate the stress states and failure mechanisms using a type of "global-local" modeling perspective, incorporating classical lamination theory and first ply failure criterion with use of appropriate stress concentration factors around the cutouts. The use of a "smeared-stress" approach is presented as a potential means of simplifying certain FRP specific complexities, while still enabling prediction of overall failure.
- ASME-RTP-1d-1998 (1998), Addenda to ASME-RTP-1-1995 edition, Reinforced Thermoset Plastic Corrosion Resistant Equipment, ASME, New York, NY
- Bakis, C.E., Bank, L.C., Brown, V.L., Cosenza, E., Davalos, J.F., Lesko, J.J., Machida, A., Rizkalla, S.H. and Triantafillou, T,C, (2002), 'Fiber-reinforced polymer composites for construction - State-of-the-art review', J. Composites for Construction, ASCE, 6(2), 73-87
- BS 4994 (1987), 'British standard specification for design and construction of vessels and tanks in reinforced plastics', British Standards Institute
- Head, P.R. (1998), 'Advanced composites in civil engineering - A critical review at this high interest, low use stage of development', Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Composites in Infrastructure, 1, Tucson, AZ, pp. 3015
- Henry, J.A. (1985), 'Deck girder systems for highway bridges using fiber reinforced plastics', MS Thesis, North Carolina State University, Department of Civil Engineering
- Hollaway, L.C. and Head, P.R. (2001), Advanced Polymer Composites and Polymers in the Civil Infrastructure, Elsevier, Oxford, UK
- Karbhari, V.M. and Seible, F. (2000), 'Fiber reinforced composites - Advanced materials for the renewal of civil infrastructure', Applied Composite Materials, 7(2/3), 95-124
- Karbhari, V.M., Seible, F. Burgueno, R. Darol, A., Wernli, M. and Zhao, L. (2000), 'Structural characterization of fiber-reinforced composite short - and medium - span bridge systems', Applied Composite Materials, 7, 151-182
- Karbhari, V.M., Seible, F., Hegemier, G.A. and Zhao, L. (1997), 'Fiber reinforced composite decks for infrastructure renewal - Results and issues', Proc. of the 1997 Int. Composites Exposition, Nashville, TN, January, 3C/1-3C/6
- Lekhnitskii, S.G. (1968), Anisotropic Plates, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, New York
- Lopez-Anido, R., GangaRao, H.V.S., Troutman, D. and William, D. (1998), 'Design and construction of short-span bridges with modular FRP composite decks', Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Composites in Infrastructure, Tucson, AZ, 634-644
- Loud, S. and Kliger, H. (2001), Infrastructure Composites Report 2001, Composites Worldwide, Solana Beach, CA
- Ollgaard, J.G., Slutter, R.G. and Fisher, J.W. (1971), 'Shear strength of stud connectors in lightweight and normal-weight concrete', Eng. J., AISC, 8(2), 55-64
- Plecnik, J.M. and Azar, W.A. (1991), 'Structural components, highway bridge deck applications', Int. Encyclopedia of Composites, Eds. I. Lee and M. Stuart, 6, 430-445
- Seible, F., Karbhari, V.M. and Burgueno, R. (1999), 'Kings stormwater channel and I-5/Gilman bridges, USA', Struct. Eng. Int., 9(4), 250-253
- Stone, D., Watkins, S., Nystrom, H. and Nanni, A (2001), 'Investigation of FRP materials for bridge construction', Proc. of the 5th National Workshop on Bridge Research in Progress, Eds: C.K. Shield and A. E. Schultz, University of Minnesota, October, 145-150
- Temeles, A.B. (2001), 'Field and laboratory tests of a proposed bridge deck panel fabricated from pultruded fiber-reinforced polymer composites', M.S. Thesis, submitted to the Department of Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Vinson, J. and Sierakowski, R. (2002), The Behavior of Structures Composed of Composite Materials, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dodrecht, Netherlands
- Walker, H.S. (1998), 'Fiberglass bridges and bridge decks', Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Composites in Infrastructure, Tucson, AZ, 651
- Zhao, L. (1999), 'Characterization of deck-to-girder connections in FRP composite superstructures', Ph.D. dissertation, submitted to the Department of Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- Zureick, A.H., Shih, B. and Munley, E. (1995), 'Fiber-reinforced polymeric bridge decks', Struct. Eng. Review, 7(3), 257-266
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기