Modal analysis of cracked cantilever composite beams
Modal analysis of cracked cantilever composite beams, made of graphite-fibre reinforced polyamide, is studied. By using the finite element and component mode synthesis methods, a numeric model applicable to investigate the vibration of cracked composite beams is developed. In this new approach, from the crack section, the composite beam separated into two parts coupled by a flexibility matrix taking into account the interaction forces. These forces are derived from the fracture mechanics theory as the inverse of the compliance matrix calculated with the proper stress intensity factors and strain energy release rate expressions. Numerical results are obtained for modal analysis of composite beams with a transverse non-propagating open crack, addressing the effects of the location and depth of the crack, and the volume fraction and orientation of the fibre on the natural frequencies and mode shapes. By means of modal data, the position and dimension of the defect can be found. The results of the study confirmed that presented method is suitable for the vibration analysis of cracked cantilever composite beams. Present technique can be easily extended to composite plates and shells.
- Kisa, M., Brandon, J.A. and Topcu, M. (1998), 'Free vibration analysis of cracked beams by a combination of finite elements and component mode synthesis methods', Comput. Struct., 67(4), 215-223
- Adams, R.D., Cawley, P., Pye, C.J. and Stone, J. (1978), 'A vibration testing for non-destructively assessing the integrity of the structures', J. Mech. Eng. Sci., 20, 93-100
- Bao, G, Ho, S., Suo, Z. and Fan, B. (1992), 'The role of material orthotropy in fracture specimens for composites', Int. J. Solids Struct., 29, 1105-1116
- Gouranis, G. and Dimarogonas, A.D. (1988), 'A finite element of a cracked prismatic beam for structural analysis', Comput. Struct., 28, 309-313
- Hurty, W.C. (1965), 'Dynamic analysis of structures using substructure modes', AIAA J., 3, 678-685
- Kisa, M. and Brandon, J.A. (2000a), 'Free vibration analysis of multiple open-edge cracked beams by component mode synthesis', Struct. Eng. Mech., 10(1), 81-92
- Kisa, M. and Brandon, J.A. (2000b), 'The effects of closure of cracks on the dynamics of a cracked cantilever beam', J. Sound Vib., 238(1), 1-18
- Krawczuk, M., Ostachowicz, W. and Zak, A. (1997), 'Modal analysis of cracked, unidirectional composite beam', Composites Part B, 28B, 641-650
- Krawczuk, M. and Ostachowicz, W.M. (1995), 'Modelling and vibration analysis of a cantilever composite beam with a transverse open crack', J. Sound Vib., 183(1), 69-89
- Krawczuk, M. (1994), 'A new finite element for the static and dynamic analysis of cracked composite beams', Comput. Struct., 52(3), 551-561
- Nikpour, K. and Dimarogonas, A.D. (1988), 'Local compliance of composite cracked bodies'. Compos. Sci. Technol., 32, 209-223
- Oral, S. (1991), 'A shear flexible finite element for non-uniform laminated composite beams', Comput. Struct., 38(3), 353-360
- Przemieniecki, J.S. (1967), Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis, London, McGraw-Hill, first edition
- Ruotolo, R., Surace, C., Crespo, P. and Storer, D. (1996), 'Harmonic analysis of the vibrations of a cantilevered beam with a closing crack', Comput. Struct., 61, 1057-1074
- Shen, M.H.H. and Chu, Y.C. (1992), 'Vibrations of beams with a fatigue crack', Comput. Struct., 45, 79-93
- Song, O., Ha, T.W. and Librescu, L. (2003), 'Dynamics of anisotropic composite cantilevers weakened by multiple transverse open cracks', Eng. Fract. Mech., 70, 105-123
- Tada, H., Paris, P.C. and Irwin, G.R. (1985), The Stress Analysis of Cracks Handbook, St. Louis, Missouri 63105, Paris production incorporated and Del Research Corporation, Second edition
- Vinson, J.R. and Sierakowski, R.L. (1991), Behaviour of Structures Composed of Composite Materials, Dordrecht, Martinus Nijhoff, first edition
- Wauer, J. (1991), 'Dynamics of cracked rotors: a literature survey', Applied Mechanics Reviews, 17, 1-7
- Dimarogonas, A.D. (1996), 'Vibration of cracked structures: A state of the art review', Eng. Fract. Mech., 55(5), 831-857
- Nikpour, K. (1990), 'Buckling of cracked composite columns', Int. J. Solids Struct., 26(12), 1371-1386
- Cawley, P. and Adams, R.D. (1979), 'The location of defects in structures from measurements of natural frequencies', J. Strain Analysis, 14, 49-57
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2015. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 53(4): 767~780
- 2015. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 54(1): 105~119
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기