Pressure and velocity fluctuations in the atmospheric boundary layer
This paper presents an analysis of wind velocity and pressure data obtained in a rural environment with a view to identifying the vortex structures present within the flow and examining the relationship between pressure and dynamic pressure. The data is analysed using both conventional analysis and conditional sampling. A method examining the eigenvalues of a matrix formed by the addition of the square of the strain tensor and the square of the vorticity tensor is also investigated. This method illustrates that there are a number of vortex structures present in the flow. The work presented in this paper suggests that the extreme events occur as a result of the superposition of two independent mechanisms.
- Sadani, L.K. and Kulkarni, J.R. (2000), "A study of coherent structures in the atmospheric surface layer over short and tall grass", Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 99, 317-334.
- Sterling, M., Baker, C.J. and Hoxey, R.P. (2003), "Short term unsteady wind loading on a low-rise building", Wind and Struct., An Int. J. 6(5), 403-418.
- Hussain, A.K.M.F. (1983), "Coherent structures - reality and myth", Physical Fluids, 26(10), 2819-2850.
- Hussain, A.K.M.F. (1986), "Coherent structures and turbulence", J. Fluid Mech., 173, 303-356.
- Jeong, J. and Hussain, A.K.M.F. (1995), "On the identification of a vortex", J. Fluid Mech., 285, 69-94.
- Kolmogorov, A.N. (1941), "The local structure of turbulence in incompressible viscous fluid for very large Reynolds numbers", Proc. the Royal Society, London, Series A, 434, 9.
- Liu, J.T.C. (1989), "Coherent structures in transitional and turbulent free shear flows", Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 21, 285-315.
- Lumley, J. and Panofsky, H. (1964), The Structure of Atmospheric Turbulence, Wiley-Interscience.
- Massey, B.S. (1990), Mechanics of Fluids, 6th Edition, Chapman and Hall Ltd, London.
- Pope, S.B. (2000), Turbulent Flows, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Raupach, M.R., Finnigan, J.J. and Brunet, Y. (1996), "Coherent eddies and turbulence in vegetation canopies: the mixing-layer analogy", Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 78, 351-382.
- Richards, P.J., Fong, S. and Hoxey, R.P. (1997), "Anisotropic turbulence in the atmospheric surface layer", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 69-71, 903-913.
- Richardson, G.M., Hoxey, R.P., Robertson, A.P. and Short, J.L. (1995), The Silsoe Structures Building: The completed experiment part 1. In Wind Engineering Retrospect and Prospect: Papers from the 9th International Conference, volume III. New Age International Publishers, Wiley Easton Ltd.
- Robinson, S.K. (1991), "Coherent motions in the turbulent boundary layer", Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 23, 601-639
- Albertson, J.D., Katul, G.G., Parlange, M.B. and Eichinger, W.E. (1998), "Spectral scaling of static pressure fluctuations in the atmospheric surface layer: The interaction between large and small scales", Physics of Fluids, 10, 1725-1732.
- Baker, C.J. (2000), "Aspects of the use of proper orthogonal decomposition in the analysis of surface pressure fields", Wind and Struct., An Int. J., 3(2), 97-115.
- Baker, C.J. (2001), "Unsteady wind loading on a wall", Wind and Struct., An Int. J., 4(5), 413-440.
- Belin, F., Maurer, J., Tabeling, P. and Willaime, H. (1996), "Observation of intense filaments in fully developed turbulence", Journal de Physique II, 6, 573-583.
- Chainais, P., Abry, P. and Pinton, J.F. (1999), "Intermittency and coherent structures in a swirling flow: A wavelet analysis of joint pressure and velocity measurements", Physics of Fluids, 11(11), 3524-3539.
- Elliot, J.A. (1972), "Microscale pressure fluctuations measured within the lower atmospheric boundary layer", J. Fluid Mech., 53, 351.
- ESDU (1985), Characteristics of Atmospheric Turbulence Near the Ground: Part 2 Single Point Data for Strong Wind-Neutral Atmosphere, Data Item 85020, Engineering Sciences Data Unit, London.
- Fiedler, H.E. (1988), "Coherent structures in turbulent flows", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 25(3), 231-269.
- Jeong, J., Hussain, F, Schoppa, W. and Kim, J. (1997), "Coherent structures near the wall in a turbulent channel flow", J. Fluid Mech., 332, 185-214.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기