Simplified formulas for evaluation of across-wind dynamic responses of rectangular tall buildings
Tall buildings under wind action usually oscillate simultaneously in the along-wind and across-wind directions as well as in torsional modes. While several procedures have been developed for predicting wind-induced loads and responses in along-wind direction, accurate analytical methods for estimating across-wind and torsional response have not been possible yet. Simplified empirical formulas for estimation of the across-wind dynamic responses of rectangular tall buildings are presented in this paper. Unlike established empirical formulas in codifications, the formulas proposed in this paper are developed based on simultaneous pressure measurements from a series of tall building models with various side and aspect ratios in a boundary layer wind tunnel. Comparisons of the across-wind responses determined by the proposed formulas and the results obtained from the wind tunnel tests as well as those estimated by two well-known wind loading codes are made to examine the applicability and accuracy of the proposed simplified formulas. It is shown through the comparisons that the proposed simplified formulas can be served as an alternative and useful tool for the design and analysis of wind effects on rectangular tall buildings.
- Liang, S.G., Liu, S.C., Li, Q.S., Zhang, L.L. and Gu, M. (2002), "Mathematical model of acrosswind dynamic loads on rectangular tall buildings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 90, 1757-1770.
- Melbourne, W.H. (1975), "Cross-wind response of structures to wind action", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Wind Effects on Buildings and Structures, Cambridge University Press, 343-358.
- National Building Code of Canada (1995), Canadian commission on building and fire codes, Canada.
- Reinhold, T.A. (1977), "Measurement of simultaneous fluctuating loads at multiple levels on a model of a tall building in a simulated urban boundary layer", Ph.D. Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Solari, G. (1985), "Mathematical model to predict 3-D wind loading on buildings", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 111(2), 254-275.
- Tallin, A. and Ellingwood, B. (1984), "Serviceability limit states: wind induced vibrations", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 110(10), 2424-2437.
- Vickery, B.J. and Steckley, A. (1993), "Aerodynamic damping and vortex shedding on an oscillating prism in turbulent shear flow", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 49, 121-140.
- Kwok, K.C.S. (1977), "Cross-wind response of structures due to displacement dependent excitations", Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Mech. Eng., Monash University.
- Li, Q.S. (2000), "Evaluation of wind-induced vibration of tall buildings and reliability analysis: a case study", Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Transactions, 7(1), 47-50.
- Li, Q.S., Cao, H. and Li, G. (1994), "Analysis of free vibrations of tall buildings", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 120(9), 1861-1876.
- Li, Q.S., Cao, H. and Li, G. (1996), "Static and dynamic analysis of straight bars with variable cross-section", Comput. & Struct., 59(6), 1185-1191.
- Li, Q.S., Xiao, Y.Q., Wong, C.K. and Jeary, A.P. (2004), "Field measurements of typhoon effects on a super tall building", Eng. Struct., 26, 233-244.
- Li, Q.S., Yang, K., Wong, C.K. and Jeary, A.P. (2003), "The effect of amplitude-dependent damping on windinduced vibrations of s super tall building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 91, 1175-1198.
- Liang, S.G., Li, Q.S., Liu, S.C., Zhang, L.L. and Gu, M. (2003), "Torsional dynamic wind loads on rectangular tall buildings", Eng. Struct., 26, 129-137.
- Architectural Institute of Japan (1996), AIJ Recommendations for Loads on Buildings, Japan.
- Cheung, J.C.K., Palmer, T.R. and Melbourne, W.H. (1993), Aeroelastic Wind Tunnel Model Tests on Tien Ho Commercial Development, Guangzhou, PRC, MEL Consultant Report 14/93, Monash University.
- China National Standard (1987), GBJ9 Load Code for Building Structures, Beijing.
- Davenport, A.G. (1967), "Gust loading factors", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 93(ST3), 11-34.
- Holmes, J.D. (2001), Wind Loading of Structures, E & FN Spon.
- Islam, M.S. (1988), "Modal coupling and wind-induced vibration of tall building", Ph.D. Dissertation, The John Hopkins University.
- Kareem, A. (1985), "Lateral-torsional motion of tall buildings to wind loads", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 111(10), 2479-2496.
- Kijewski, T. and Kareem, A. (1998), "Dynamic wind effects: a comparative study of provisions in codes and standards with wind tunnel data", Wind and Structures, An Int. J., 1(1), 77-109.
- Li, Q.S., Fang, J.Q., Jeary, A.P., Wong, C.K. and Liu, D.K. (2000), "Evaluation of wind effects on a super tall building based on full scale measurements", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 29(12), 1845-1862.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2013. "" Wind & structures, 16(6): 603~616
- 2014. "" Wind & structures, 19(4): 353~370
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기