High Frequency and High Luminance AC-PDP Sustaining Driver
Plasma display panels (PDPs) have a serious thermal problem, because the luminance efficiency of a conventional PDP is about 1.5 1m/W and it is less than $3\~5\;lm/W$ of a cathode ray tube (CRT). Thus there is a need for improving the luminance efficiency of the PDP. There are several approaches to improve the luminance efficiency of the PDP and we adopted a driving PDP at high frequency range from 400kHz up to over 700kHz. Since a PDP is regarded as an equivalent inherent capacitance, many types of sustaining drivers have been proposed and widely used to recover the energy stored in the PDP. However, these circuits have some drawbacks for driving PDPs at high frequency ranges. In this paper, we investigate the effect of the parasitic components on the PDP itself and on the driver when the reactive energy of the panel is recovered. Various drivers are classified and evaluated based on their suitability for high frequency drivers. Finally, a current-fed driver with a DC input voltage bias is proposed. This driver overcomes the effect of parasitic components in the panel and driver. It fully achieves a ZVS of all full-bridge switches and reduces the transition time of the panel polarity. It is tested to validate the high frequency sustaining driver and the experimental results are presented.
- C. W. Roh, 'Novel plasma display driver with low voltage / current device stresses,' IEEE Trans. Con. Electron., Vol 49, No.4, pp.1360-1366,November 2003
- C. C. Liu, H. B. Hsu, S. T. Lo, and C. L. Chen, 'An energy-recovery sustaining driver with discharge current compensation for AC plasma display panel,' IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 2, pp.344-351 , Apr. 2001
- J. Y. Lee, J. S. Kim, N. S. Jung, and B. H. Cho, 'The current injection method for AC plasma display panel (PDP) sustainer,' IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 3, pp.615-624, Jun. 2004
- D. Y. Lee, J. H. Yang, and B. H. Cho, 'Novel energy-recovery circuit for plasma display panel using regenerative transformer,' in Proc. IEEE PESC'03, Vol.2, pp.656-659, June 2003
- S. Y. Lin, C. L. Chen, and K. M. Lee, 'Novel regenerative sustain driver for plasma display panel,' in Proc. IEEE PESC'98, pp 1739-1743, Fukuoka, Japan, 1998
- L. F. Weber and K. W. Warren, 'Power efficient sustain drivers and address drivers for plasma panel,' U.S. Patent 4 866 349, Sept. 1989
- S. K. Han, G. W. Moon, and M. J. Youn, 'A novel current-fed energy recovery sustaining driver for plasma display panel (PDP),' in Proc. IEEE IECON '03, Vol. 2, pp. 1976-1980, Nov. 2003
- S. K. Han, G. W. Moon, and M. J. Youn, 'Current-fed energy-recovery circuit for plasma display panel,' Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, Issue 14, pp 1035 - 1036, July 2003
- H. van der Broeck, M. Wendt, 'Alternative sustain driver concepts for plasma display panels,' in Proc. IEEE PESC'04, Vol. 4, pp.2672-2677, June 2004
- J.H. Choi, et al. 'Space charge effect for sustaining discharge in coplanar AC-PDP,' IDW'02, pp873-876, 2002
- M. Ohba and Y. Sano, 'Energy recovery driver for a dot matrix AC plasma panel with a parallel resonant circuit allowing power reduction,' U.S. Patent 5 670 974, Sept. 1997
- A. Sobel, 'Plasma displays,' IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., vol. 19, pp. 1032-1047, Dec. 1991
- C. W. Roh, H. J. Kim, S. H. Lee, and M. J. Youn, 'Multilevel voltage wave-shaping display driver for AC plasma display panel application,' IEEE J. Solid-State Circ., Vol.38, No.6, pp.935-947, Jun. 2003
- S. K. Han, G. W. Moon, and M. J. Youn, 'A resonant energy-recovery circuit for plasma display panel employing gas-discharge current compensation method,' IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No.1, pp. 209-217, Jan. 2005
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- Nam, Won-Seok ; Hong, Sung-Soo ; SaKong, Suk-Chin ; Roh, Chung-Wook 2006. "A Study on Gate driver with Boot-strap chain to Drive Multi-level PDP Driver Application" 전력전자학회 논문지 = The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Power Electronics, 11(2): 120~126
- 2009. "" Journal of power electronics : JPE, 9(5): 809~821
저자의 다른 논문
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기