Serichlor, A New Disinfectant in Indian Sericulture
Silkworm diseases are better prevented than cured. Disinfection and hygiene are the two important aspects in silkworm rearing to prevent the diseases. Suitable disinfectant is the primary need to disinfect the rearing house, its surroundings and appliances to eliminate the persistent pathogens from the rearing environment. In this direction, Serichlor, a new disinfectant in Indian Sericulture marketed as Serichlor-60 (contains 60,000 ppm of chlorine dioxide) and Serichlor-20 (contains 20,000 ppm of chlorine dioxide) has been evaluated for its germicidal effect against the pathogens of silkworm, viz., spores of Nosema bombycis, Bacillus thuringiensis, polyhedra of BmNPV and conidia of Beauveria bassiana both in vitro and in vivo. Results indicated that high concentration (2,500 ppm of chlorine dioxide) is required to kill all the pathogens at 100% level. The efficacy of the Serichlor was greatly enhanced by the addition of 0.5% slaked lime solution. 500 ppm of chlorine dioxide in 0.5% slaked lime solution was found effective against all the pathogens tested. This concentration of disinfectant was also found effective for disinfection of rearing house, rearing appliances and silkworm egg surface. The disinfectant is stable, non hazardous, least corrosive and most suitable for Indian Sericulture.
- Balavenkatasubbaiah, M., B. Nataraju and R. K. Datta (1996) Chlorine dioxide and virkon-S as disinfectants against pathogens of silkwonn, Bombyx mori L. Indian J. Seric. 35, 50-53
- Ingols, R. S. and G. M. Ridenour (1948) Chemical properties of chlorine dioxide in water treatment. J. Am. Water works Assoc. 40, 1207-1227
- Kobayashi, H., F. Sato and Ayuzawa (1968) On the disinfecting ability of the mixture of bleaching powder and formalin. J. Seric. Sci. Jpn 37, 311-318
- Kagawa, T. (1980) The efficacy of formalin as disinfectant of Nosema bombycis spores. J. Seric. Sci. Jpn 49, 218-222
- Iwashita, Y. and C. Q. Zhou (1988) Inactivation by the treatment of a nuclear polyhedrosis virus of the silkwonn, Bombyx mori with calcium hydroxide solution. J. Seric. Sci. Jpn 57, 511-518
- Balavenkatasubbaiah, M., K. V. V. Ananthalakshmi, T. Selvakumar, B. Nata-raju and R. K. Datta (1999) Chlorine dioxide, a new disinfectant in sericulture. Indian J. Seric. 38, 25-130
- Kawakami, K. (1970) Fungicidal activity of the iodine disinfectant. Sanshi-Kenkya. 76, 63-64
- Balavenkatasubbaiah, M., R. K. Datta, M. Baig, B. Nataraju and M. N. S. Iyengar (1994a) Efficacy of bleaching powder against the pathogens of silkwonn, Bombyx mori L. Indian J. Seric. 33, 23-26
- Balavenkatasubbaiah, M., B. Nataraju, M. Baig and R. K. Datta (1994b) Comparative efficacy of different disinfectants against nuclear polyhedrosis virus (BmNPV) and Beauveria bassiana of silkwonn, Bombyx mori L. Indian J. Seric. 33, 142-143
- Venkata Reddy, S., B. D. Singh, M. Baig, K. Sengupta, K. Giridhara and B. K. Singhal (1990) Efficacy of asiphor as a disinfectant against incidence of diseases of silkworm, Bombyx mori L. Indian J. Seric. 29, 147-148
- Noss, C. I. and U. P. Olivieri (1985) Disinfecting capabilities of oxychlorine compounds. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 50, 1162-1164
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기