A Study on the Development of Measurement Techniques for Thermal Flows in MEMS
A review on advanced flow visualization techniques is presented particularly for applications to micro scale heat and mass transport measurements. Challenges, development and applications of micro scale visualization techniques are discussed for the study of heating/evaporating thin films, a heated micro channel, and a thermopneumatic micro pump. The developed methods are (1) Molecular Tagging Fluorescence Velocimetry (MTFV) using 10-nm caged seeding molecules (2) Micro Particle Velocimetry (MPIV) and (3) Ratiometric Laser Induced Fluorescence (LIF) for micro-resolution thermometry. These three methods are totally non-intrusive techniques and would be useful to investigate the temperature and flow characteristics in MEMS. Each of these techniques is discussed in three-fold: (1) its operating principle and operation, (2) its application and measurement results, and (3) its future challenges.
- Personal communications, Dr. D. M. Pratt, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio, 2002
- D. M. Pratt, W. S. Chang, and K. P. Hallinan, 'Effects of Thermocapillary Stresses on the Capillary Limit of Capillary-Driven Heat Transfer Devices,' Proc. 11th Int. Heat Tran. Conf. (Kyongju), pp. 201-211, August 1998
- D. M. Pratt, and K. P. Hallinan, 'Thermocapillary Effects on the Wetting Characteristics of a Heated Curved Meniscus,' Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 519-525, 1997
- P. Ehrhard and S. H. Davis, 'Non-Isothermal Spreading of Liquid Drops on Horizontal Plates,' Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 229, pp. 365-388, 1991
- L. M. Hocking, 'On Contact Angles in Evaporating Liquids,' Physics of Fluids, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 2950- 2955, 1995
- A. K. Sen, and S. H. Davis, 'Steady Thermocapillary Flows in Two-Dimensional Slots,' Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 121, pp. 163-186, 1982
- J. S. Park, C. McCarty, K. D. Kihm, and D. M. Pratt, 'Lagrangian Flow Mapping of Heated Capillary Pore and Thin Film Using Molecular Fluorescence Velocimetry (MFV),' Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 122, pp. 421-423, 2000
- J. S. Park, K. D. Kihm, and D. M. Pratt, 'Molecular Tagging Fluorescence Velocimetry (MTFV) Technique to Measure Micro-Scale Thermal Flow Field,' Proc. IMECE (Orlando), HTD-vol. 366-1, pp. 229-235, November 2000
- W. R. Lempert, K. Magee, P. Ronney, K. R. Gee, and R. P. Haugland, 'Flow Tagging Velocimetry in Incompressible Flow Using Photo-Activated Nonintrusive Tracking of Molecular Motion (PHANTOMN),' Experiments in Fluids, vol. 18, pp. 249-257, 1995
- R. F. Chen, G. G. Burek, and N. Alexander, 'Fluorescence Decay Times: Proteins, Coenzymes, and Other Compounds in Water,' Nature, vol. 156, pp. 949-951, 1967
- J. G Santiago, S. T. Wereley, C. D. Meinhart, D. J. Beebe, and R. J. Adrian, 'A Particle Image Velocimetry System Microfluidics,' Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 316-319, 1988
- C. D. Meinhart, S. T. Wereley, and J. G. Santiago, 'PIV Measurement of Microchannel Flow,' Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 414-419, 1999
- F. M. White, Fluid Mechanics, fourth edition, Mcgraw-Hill, New York, 1999
- W. M. Kays and M. E. Crawford, Third Edition, Mcgraw-Hill International Editions, 1993
- B. R. Muson, D. F. Young and T. H. Okiishi, Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998
- P. W. Runstadler, Diffuser Data Book, Technical Note 186, Creare, Inc., Hanover, NH, 1975
- J. Coppeta, C. Rogers, 'Dual emission laser induced fluorescence for direct planar scalar behavior measurements,' Experiments in Fluids, vol. 25 pp. 1- 15, 1998
- D. L. Andrews, Lasers in chemistry, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1986
- H. J. Kim, K. D. Kihm, and J. S. Allen, 'Examination of a Ratiometric Laser Induced Fluorescence Thermometry for Microscale Spatial Measurement Resolution,' International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 46, issue 21, pp. 3967-3974, 2003
- J. R. Salor, 'Photobleaching of Disodium Fluorescein in Water,' Experiments in Fluids, vol. 18, pp. 445-447, 1995
- D. M. Anderson, and S. H. Davis, 'Local Fluid and Heat Flow Near Contact Lines,' Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 268, pp. 231-265, 1994
- H. B. Ma, D. M. Pratt, and G. P. Peterson, 'Disjoining Pressure Effect on the Wetting Characteristics in a Capillary Pore,' Microscale Thermophysics Engineering, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 283-297, 1998
- J. Bardina et al, 'A Prediction Method for Planar Diffuser Flows,' Journal of Fluid Engineering, Vol. 103, pp. 315-321, 1981
- J. Sakakibara, R. J. Adrian, 'Measurement of whole field temperature using two-color LIF,' Journal of Visualization Society of Japan, vol. 17, 333-336, 1997
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기