MEMS for Heterogeneous Integration of Devices and Functionality
Future MEMS systems will be composed of larger varieties of devices with very different functionality such as electronics, mechanics, optics and bio-chemistry. Integration technology of heterogeneous devices must be developed. This article first deals with the current development trend of new fabrication technologies; those include self-assembling of parts over a large area, wafer-scale encapsulation by wafer-bonding, nano imprinting, and roll-to-roll printing. In the latter half of the article, the concept towards the heterogeneous integration of devices and functionality into micro/nano systems is described. The key idea is to combine the conventional top-down technologies and the novel bottom-up technologies for building nano systems. A simple example is the carbon nano tube interconnection that is grown in the via-hole of a VLSI chip. In the laboratory level, the position-specific self-assembly of nano parts on a DNA template was demonstrated through hybridization of probe DNA segments attached to the parts. Also, bio molecular motors were incorporated in a micro fluidic system and utilized as a nano actuator for transporting objects in the channel.
- K.E. Petersen, 'Silicon as a mechanical material,' Proc. IEEE, Vol. 70, pp. 420, 1982
- A. M. Fennimore, T. D. Yuzvinsky, Wei-Qiang Han, M. S. Fuhrer, J. Cumings & A. Zettl 'Rotational actuators based on carbon nanotubes,' Nature 424, 408 (2003)
- R. Yokokawa, S. Takeuchi, T. Kon, M. Nishiura, K. Sutoh, H. Fujita, 'Unidirectional transport of kinesin-coated beads on microtubules oriented in a microfluidic device,' Nano Lett. Vol. 4, pp. 2265-2270, 2004
- M.C. Tarhan, R. Yokokawa, F. Morin, S. Takeuchi, T. Kon, H. Fujita; IEEE Internt'l Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 2005), Jan. 30 - Feb. 3, 2005, Miami Beach, FL, USA, p. 526-529, 2005
- R. N. Candler W.T. Park, H.M. Li, G. Yama, A. Partridge, M. Luts, T. W. Kenny, 'Single Wafer Encapsulation of MEMS Devices,' IEEE Trans. on Advanced Packaging Vol. 26, pp. 227, 2003
- Tsuyoshi Sekitani, Makoto Takamiya, Yoshiaki Noguchi, Shintaro Nakano, Yusaku Kato, Takayasu Sakurai & Takao Someya: A large-area wireless power-transmission sheet using printed organic transistors and plastic MEMS switches, Nature Materials Published online: 29 April 2007 | doi: 10.1038/nmat1903
- Gerwin H. Gelinck, et al.: Flexible active-matrix displays and shift registers based on solution processed organic transistors, Nature Materials Vol. 3, pp. 106-110, 2004
- http://pr.fujitsu.com/jp/news/2006/06/6.html (in Japanese)
- Mehran Mehregany, Kaighan J. Gabriel, William S. N. Trimmer, 'Integrated Fabrication of Polysilicon Mechanisms,' IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 35, pp. 719-723, 1988
- Hiroyuki Fujita, 'Microactuators and Micromachines,' Proc. IEEE, Vol. 86, pp. 1721-1732, 1988
- Ryuji Yokokawa, Yumi Yoshida, Shoji Takeuchi, Takahide Kon, Hiroyuki Fujita, 'Unidirectional transport of a bead on a single microtubule immobilized in a submicrometre channel,' Nanotechnology, Vol. 17, pp. 289-294, 2006
- K.J. Gabriel, 'Engineering microscopic machines,' Sci. Amer., Vol. 260, No. 9, pp. 118-121, 1995
- Yoshiaki Noguchi, Tsuyoshi Sekitani, and Takao Someya, 'Organic-transistor-based flexible pressure sensors using ink-jet-printed electrodes and gate dielectric layers,' Appl. Phys. Lett. 89, 253507 (2006)
- Makela T, Jussila S, Kosonen H, Backlund TG, Sandberg HGO, Stubb H: Utilizing roll-to-roll techniques for manufacturing source-drain electrodes for all-polymer transistors, Synthetic Metals Vol. 153 No. 1-3: pp. 285-288 Part 2 Sp. Iss.SI, Sep (2005)
- Takuya Kobayashi and Masao Washizu, 'Stretchand- positioning of single stranded DNA as a template for molecular construction,' IEEE Internt'l Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 2005), Jan. 30 ？ Feb. 3, 2005, Miami Beach, FL, USA, p.662-665 (2005)
- Long-Sheng FAN, Yu-Chong TAI, Richard S. Muller, 'Integrated Movable Micromechanical Structures for Sensors and Actuators,' IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 35, pp. 724-730, 1988
- Xiaorong Xiong, Yael Hanein, Jiandong Fang, Yanbing Wang, Weihua Wang, Daniel T. Schwartz, Karl F. Bohringer, 'Controlled Multi-Batch Self- Assembly of Micro Devices,' ASME/IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems Vol. 12, pp. 117-127, 2003
- R. Yokokawa, S. Takeuchi, T. Kon, M. Nishiura, R. Ohkura, M. Edamatsu, K. Sutoh, H. Fujita, 'Hybrid nanotransport system by biomolecular linear motors,' IEEE/ASME J. Microelectromech. Syst. Vol. 13, pp. 612-619, 2004
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기