Analyzing Management Factors on Enterprise Performance
A sample of Italian manufacturing companies was selected in order to verify the abilities and effects (relationships) of the management factors human resources, leadership and strategic planning on company performance. The Partial Least Squares (PLS) estimation method was used for analyzing the data collected, where the relationships between the management factors and performance were formalized by a Structural Equation Model (SEM). The analysis of the survey data showed unexpected result regarding the non significant direct relationship between Leadership and Performance. The effect of Leadership is obtained by an indirect relationship through Human Resources. The combination of Leadership and Human Resources has hence been identified as the management factors which have the highest impact on the performance of Italian industrial companies. Another interesting and unexpected result was that there was no significant impact of Strategic Planning on Performance. It seems that the leaders of Italian industrial companies have not understood that good strategic planning is a necessary condition for achieving excellence. So another improvement area is in fact Strategic Planning. This area should have the highest priority of any top management team and the focus should include how to establish a strong relationship between strategic planning and performance. No correlation between strategic planning and performance is a strong indication that something is wrong. It is not enough that Leadership is doing Strategic Planning-Leadership is also about studying and follow up on results in order to assure impacts on performance. This link seems to be missing in Italian industrial companies.
- Dahlgaard-Park, S. M. and Dahlgaard, J. J.(2007), Excellence-25 years evolution, Journal of Management History, Vol. 13, No.4, pp. 371-393
- Wold, H.(1985), Partial Least Squares. in S. Kotz and Johnson, N. L.(Eds.), Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences Vol. 6, New York: Wiley, pp. 581-591
- Chatelin Y. M., Vinzi Esposito V., and Tenenhaus M.(2002), 'State-of-atr on PLS Path Modeling through the available software,' 764/2002, http://www.hec.fr/hec/fr/professeurs_recherche/r_cahiers_liste.php?departement=10
- Dahlgaard, J. J. and Park-Dahlgaard, S. M.(2003), 'The 4P' Quality Strategy for Breakthrough and Sustainable Development', the 7th QMOD Conference, Monterrey, Mexico
- Zanella, A.(2001) Measures and models of customer satisfaction: the underlying conceptual construct and a comparison of different approaches. Sixth TQM World Congress, Saint Petersburg
- Ciavolino E., Dahlgaard J. J.(2007), ECSI-Customer Satisfaction Modelling and Analysis: a case study, in press on Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 545-554
- Dahlgaard-Park, S. M. and Dahlgaard, J. J.(2006), In Search of Excellence-Past, Present and Future, in: H. Schnauber (ed.), Kreativ und Konsequent-Herbert Masing, Hanser Verlag, Munchen, Wien
- Martensen, A., Dahlgaard, J. J., Dahlgaard-Park, S. M., and Gronholdt, L.(2007), Measuring and Diagnosing Innovation Excellence-simple contra advanced approaches-A Danish Study, Measuring Business Excellence, December 2007
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기