미국 상위 30개 연구 중심 대학들의 실험실 환경보건안전 담당 부서 - MIT 사례를 중심으로
Environment, Health and Safety Offices of the Top 30 Research Universities in the U.S.A. - Focused on the Case of Massachusetts Institute of Technology(MIT)
Objectives: The objectives of this research are to examine the missions, organization, and programs of the environmental, health and safety(EHS) offices of the major research universities in the U.S.A., particularly the case of Massachusetts Institute of Technology(MIT) EHS Office, and to suggest ways to address the EHS issues of the universities and research institutes in South Korea. Methods: The top 30 research universities in the U.S.A. were selected by the total amounts of research funds they annually received. The web sites of the 30 universities were searched to identify the names of the departments that address environment, health, and/or safety related issues, the missions of those departments, the major programs of those departments, and the number of staff in those departments. Also, a case study was conducted for the Environment Health and Safety Management System and the Environment, Health and Safety Office of the MIT, using literature and web searches and a meeting with the Director of the MIT Environment, Health and Safety Office. Results: All the top 30 research universities in the U.S.A. had designated departments that dealt with EHS issues. Most of them were by the name of or similar to environmental, health and safety. The mission statements of those departments were mostly about improving the safety and health of their community members, improving the environment, and complying to EHS regulations. Most of those departments had an environmental management program, industrial hygiene program, radiation protection program, safety program, and biosafety program as their major programs. The components of the environment, health and safety management system(EHS-MS) of the MIT were examined in detail. In contrast, not many universities in South Korea had designated departments that dealt specifically with EHS issues. Also, the number of fulltime staff for EHS was only 1-2 in most of the Korean universities and their work duties included only general safety, while neglecting other health/environment related issues. Conclusions: Well organized and functioning environmental, health and safety offices were present in all of the top 30 research universities in the U.S.A., whereas similar organizations of the universities in South Korea were virtually non-existent and/or had very limited EHS activities. Therefore, in order to reduce potential risks of accidents and health problems in the Korean universities and research institutions, well established and functioning EHS-MSs and EHS offices are warranted. The case of the EHS-MS and EHS Office in the MIT demonstrate a successful case to follow.
environment, health and safety(EHS) . environment, health and safety office . environment . health and safety management system(EHS-MS) . occupational health and safety management . environmental management system(EMS).
- 한국산업안전공단. 실험실 안전보건에 관한 기술지침. 한국산업안전공단 코드 G-07-2006; 2006
- MIT EHS Office. MIT Environment, Health And Safety Management System. Available from: URL:http://web.mit.edu/environment/pdf/ehsmsinfo.pdf; 2005
- 이정학, 박태주, 최민규, 박정임. 대학실험실 안전보건관리 지침개발 및 점검체계 구축. 2004년도 협동연구 지정과제 최종보고서, 한국학술진흥재단; 2004
- MIT EHS Office, The Environment at MIT. Available from: URL:http://web.mit.edu/environment/ehs/; 2006b
- 교육부 고등교육지원국 대학재정과. 대학(교) 실험.실습실 안전관리 지침; 2000
- MIT EHS Office, Environment, Health And Safety Office. Available from: URL:http://informit.mit.edu/ehs-ms/downloads/EHS_Brochure_2.27.pdf; 2006a
- MIT, EHS Management System: EHS-MS Manual. Available from: URL: http://informit.mit.edu/ehs-ms/manual_intro.html; 2006
- 정팔진, 이정학, 이순화, 박태주. 대학실험.실습실 안전관리 표준화 모형 개발에 관한 연구. 교육부 교육정책 연구과제 보고서; 1999
- The Center at the University of Florida, The Top American Research Universities, Available from: URL:http://thecenter.ufl.edu/research.html; 2005
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- Park, In-Kyu ; Lee, Sa-Woo ; Jung, Jong-Hyeon ; Phee, Young Gyu 2014. "A Study on the Status of Management for Personal Protective Equipments & Fume Hoods in University Research Laboratories" 한국산업위생학회지 = Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and environmental hygiene, 24(2): 229~237
저자의 다른 논문
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기