Multiple, Sequential, Remote Intracranial Hematomas Following Cranioplasty
The intracranial hemorrhage in regions remote from the site of initial operations is unusual but may present as fatal surgical complication. We report a rare case of multiple, sequential, remote intracranial hematomas after cranioplasty in a patient who did not have any prior risk factors. A 51-years-old man was transferred to the hospital after a head trauma. The brain computed tomography (CT) revealed acute subdural hemorrhage on the right hemisphere with prominent midline shifting. After performing decompressive craniectomy and hematoma removal, the patient recovered without any complications. However, the patient showed neurological deterioration immediately after cranioplasty, which was done three months after the first surgery. There was extensive hemorrhage in the posterior fossa remote from the site of the initial operation site. The brain CT taken soon after removing this hematoma evacuation displayed large epidural hematoma on the left hemisphere. This case represents posterior fossa hemorrhage after supratentorial procedure and sequential delayed hematoma on the contralateral supratentorial region thus seems very rare surgical complications. Despite several possible pathogenetic mechanisms for such remote hematomas, there are usually no clear cut relationships with each case as in our patient. However, for the successful outcome, prompt evaluation and intensive management seem mandatory.
- Driesen W, Elies W : Epidural and subdural haematomas as a complication of internal drainage of cerebrospinal fluid in hydrocephalus. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 30 : 85-93, 1974
- Frera C : Supratentorial extradural haematomas secondary to ventricular decompression. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 20 : 31-35, 1964
- Fukamachi A, Koizumi H, Nagaseki Y, Nukui H : Postoperative extradural hematomas : computed tomographic survey of 1105 intracranial operations. Neurosurgery 19 : 589-593, 1986
- Kim SG, Koh YC, Um CS, Kim CH, Lee HK, Hwang DY : Acute epidural hematoma following ventriculo-peritoneal shunt operation. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 25 : 861-865, 1996
- Yoshida S, Yonekawa Y, Yamashita K, Ihara I, Morooka Y : Cerebellar hemorrhage after supratentorial craniotomy : report of three cases. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 30 : 738-743, 1990
- Wolfsberger S, Gruber A, Czech T : Multiple supratentorial epidural hematomas after posterior fossa surgery. Neurosurg Rev 27 : 128-132, 2004
- Fiskin RD, Kurze T : Acute epidural haemorrhage complicating resection of acoustic neurinoma. J Neurosurg 21 : 58-61, 1964
- Koller M, Ortler M, Langmayr J, Twerdy K : Posterior fossa haemorrhage after supratentorial surgery-report of three cases and review of the literature. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 141 : 587-592, 1999
- Papanastassiou V, Kerr R, Adams C : Contralateral cerebellar hemorrhagic infarction after pterional craniotomy : report of five cases and review of the literature. Neurosurgery 39 : 841-852, 1996
- Seiler R, ZurbruEgg H : Supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage after posterior fossa operation. Neurosurgery 18 : 472-474, 1986
- Van Calenbergh F, Goffin J, Plets C : Cerebellar hemorrhage complicating supratentorial craniotomy : report of two cases. Surg Neurol 40 : 336-338, 1993
- Kalfas IH, Little JR : Postoperative hemorrhage : a survey of 4992 intracranial procedures. Neurosurgery 23 : 343-347, 1988
- Roy GC : Fracture of the skull : extensive extravation of blood on dura matter, producing compression of the brain : trepanning partial relief of symptoms, death. Lancet 2 : 319, 1884
- KoEnig A, Laas R, Hermann HD : Cerebellar haemorrhage as a complication after supratentorial craniotomy. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 88 : 104-108, 1987
- Yacubian EM, de Andrade MM, Jorge CL, Valerio RM : Cerebellar hemorrhage after supratentorial surgery for treatment of epilepsy : report of three cases. Neurosurgery 45 : 159-162, 1999
- Kalia KK, Swift DM, Pang D : Multiple epidural hematomas following ventriculoperitoneal shunt. Pediatr Neurosurg 19 : 78-80, 1993
- Lee SH, Eoh W, Lee KH, Chung BS : Clinical experience of delayed post-traumatic contralateral epidural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 24 : 1361-1365, 1995
- Toczek MT, Morell MJ, Silverberg GA, Lowe GM : Cerebellar hemorrhage complicating temporal lobectomy. J Neurosurg 85 : 718-722, 1996
- Sinar EJ, Lindsay KW : Distant extraudral haematoma complicating removal of frontal tumors. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 49 : 442-444, 1986
- Greenwald DL, Kim DH, Day Al : Remote posterior fossa hemorrhage as a complication after supratentorial craniotomy. J Neurosurg 86 : 441A, 1997
- Waga S, Shimosaka S, Sakakura M : Intracerebral hemorrhage remote from the site of the initial neurosurgical procedure. Neurosurgery 13 : 662-665, 1983
- Brisman MH, Bederson JB, Sen CN, Germano IM, Moore F, Post KD : Intracerebral hemorrhage occurring remote from the craniotomy site. Neurosurgery 39 : 1114-1122, 1996
- Tsugane R, Sugita K, Sato O : Supratentorial extradural hematomas following posterior fossa craniectomy. No Shinkei Geka 4 : 401-403, 1976
- Harders A, Gilsbach J, Weigel K : Supratentorial space occupying lesions following infratentorial surgery. Early diagnosis and treatment. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 74 : 57-60, 1985
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기