Critical Design Issues on the Cathodic Protection Systems of Ships
Cathodic protection technology has been widely used on ship's outer hull and inner side of ballast water tanks as a supplementary corrosion protection measure in combination with protective organic coatings. Impressed current cathodic protection system is typically opted for the ship's hull and, sacrificial anode system, for ballast water tanks. The anticipation and interest in cathodic protection system for ships has been surprisingly low-eyed to date in comparison with protective coatings. Computational analysis for the verification of cathodic protection design has been tried sometimes for offshore marine structures, however, in commercial shipbuilding section, decades old design practice is still applied, and no systematic or analytical verification work has been done for that. In this respect, over-rotection from un-erified initial design protocol has been also concerned by several experts. Especially, it was frequently reported in sacrificial anode system that even after full design life time, anode was remaining nearly intact. Another issue for impressed current system, for example, is that the anode shield area design for ship's outer hull should be compromised with actual application situation, because the state-of-the-art design equation is quite impractical from the applicator's stand. Besides that, in this study, some other critical design issues for sacrificial anode and impressed current cathodic protection system were discussed.
cathodic protection . design criteria . computational analysis . ballast water tank . impressed current . sacrificial anode . over-design . verification . offshore structure . ship hull . anode shield . corrosion protection.
- J.C. Cochran, Proc. of Offshore Technology Confernece., Paper OTC 3858, Houston, USA, May 5-8 (1980)
- Recommended Practice, NACE RP 0176, NACE International (1994)
- Guidelines for Ballast Tank Coating Systems, The Tanker Structure Co-operative Forum (2000)
- Recommended Practice, NR-423-DTO-R00-E, Bureau Veritas (1996)
- Code of Practice for Land and Marine Applications, BS 7361, British Standard (1991)
- Recommended Practice, NACE RP 0176, NACE International (2003)
- S.Evans, Material Performance, 27(2), 9 (1998)
- W.H. Hartt, Corrosion, 54(4), pp. 317-322 (1998)
- W.H. Hartt, Corrosion, 52(6), pp. 419-427 (1996)
- Recommended Practice, DNV RP B401, Det Norske Veritas (2005)
- J.H. Kiefer, CORROSION/98, Paper No. 735, Houston, USA (1998)
- O. Knudsen and U. Steinsmo, CORROSION/200l, Paper No. 01512, Houston, USA (2001)
- Recommended Practice, DNV RP B401, Det Norske Veritas (1993)
- S.Chen and W.H. Hartt, Corrosion, 58(1), pp. 38-48 (2002)
- M.W. Mateer, CORROSION/93, Paper No. 526, Houston, USA (1993)
저자의 다른 논문
- 2004 "Study on the Welding Parameters of Steel Pipes for Higher Sulfide Stress Corrosion Cracking Resistance for Field Application" Corrosion science and technology 3 (4): 154~160
- 2006 "Study on the Causes of Premature Cracking of Epoxy Coatings for Ship's Ballast Tanks" Corrosion science and technology 5 (2): 69~76
- 2007 "Effect of Retained Pre-construction Primer on the Corrosion Protection Properties of Epoxy Coatings" Corrosion science and technology 6 (5): 219~226
- 2011 "전해질 유동 조건에 따른 아연공기전지 아연극 표면의 Zincate 이온 농도 예측을 위한 수치해석적 연구" 전기화학회지 = Journal of the Korean Electrochemical Society 14 (4): 231~238
- 2011 "용존공기부상조(DAF-tank)의 형상변화가 분리조(Separation Zone)의 내부 유동 패턴에 미치는 영향에 대한 수치해석적 연구" 大韓機械學會論文集. Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers. B. B 35 (8): 855~860
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기