Identification of impact forces on composite structures using an inverse approach
In this paper, an identification method of impact force is proposed for composite structures. In this method, the relation between force histories and strain responses is first formulated. The transfer matrix, which relates the strain responses of sensors and impact force information, is constructed from the finite element method (FEM). Based on this relation, an optimization model to minimize the difference between the measured strain responses and numerically evaluated strain responses is built up to obtain the impact force history. The identification of force history is performed by a modified least-squares method that imposes the penalty on the first-order derivative of the force history. Moreover, from the relation of strain responses and force history, an error vector indicating the force location is defined and used for the force location identification. The above theory has also been extended into the cases when using acceleration information instead of strain information. The validity of the present method has been verified through two experimental examples. The obtained results demonstrate that the present approach works very well, even when the internal damages in composites happen due to impact events. Moreover, this method can be used for the real-time health monitoring of composite structures.
- Akhavan, F. and Watkins, S.E. et al. (2000), 'Prediction of impact contact forces of composite plates using fiber optic sensors and neural networks', Mech. Compos. Mater. Struct., 7, 195-205
- Choi, K. and Chang, F.K. (1996), 'Identification of impact force and location using distributed sensors', AIAA J., 34, 136-142
- Doyle, J.F. (1984), 'An experimental method for determining the dynamic contact law', Exp. Mech., 24, 10-16
- Doyle, J.F. (1987), 'Experimentally determining the contact force during the transverse impact of an orthotropic plate', J. Sound Vib., 118, 441-448
- Fukunaga, H. and Hu, N. (2004), 'Health monitoring of composite structures based on impact force identification', Proceeding of the Second European Workshop, Structural Health Monitoring, Edited by C. Boller and W.J. Straszewski, 415-422
- Geubelle, P.H. and Baylor, J.S. (1998), 'Impact-induced delamination of composites: a 2D simulation', Composites: Part B, 29B, 589-602
- Hu, N. and Fukunaga, H. et al. (1999), 'Compressive buckling of laminates with an embedded delamination', Compos. Sci. Technol., 59, 1247-1260
- Inoue, H. and Watanabe, R. et al. (1988), 'Measurement of impact force by the deconvolution method (part-a)', J. JPN Soc. Non-Destructive Inspection, 34, 337-342
- Inoue, H. and Watanabe, R. et al. (1988), 'Measurement of impact force applied to a plate by the deconvolution method (part-b)', J. JPN Soc. Non-Destructive Inspection, 37, 874-878
- Li, C.F. and Hu, N. et al. (2002), 'Low-velocity impact-induced damage of continuous fiber-reinforced composite laminates. Part I. An FEM numerical model', Composites: Part A, 33, 1055-1061
- Li, C.F. and Hu, N. et al. (2002), 'Low-velocity impact-induced damage of continuous fiber-reinforced composite laminates. Part II. Verification and numerical investigation', Composites: Part A, 33, 1063-1072
- Shaw, J.K. and Sirkis, J.S. et al. (1995), 'Model of transverse plate impact dynamics for design of impact detection methodologies', AIAA J., 33, 1327-1335
- Shin, E.S. (2000), 'Real-time recovery of impact force based on finite element analysis', Compos. Struct., 76, 621-627
- Vanderplaats, G.N. and Sugimoto, H. (1986), 'A general purpose optimization program for engineering design', Comput. Struct., 24, 13-21
- Wang, C.S. and Chang, F.K. (1999), 'Built-in diagnostics for impact damage identification of composite structures', Structural Health Monitoring 2000, Stanford, 1999, Edited by F.K. Chang (Stanford University, 1999), 612-621
- Wu, E. and Yeh, J.C. et al. (1994), 'Identification of impact forces at multiple locations on laminated plates', AIAA J., 32, 2433-2439
- Yen, C.S. and Wu, E. (1995), 'On inverse problem of rectangular plates subjected to elastic impact, Part I: method development and numerical verification', J. Appl. Mech., 62, 692-698
- Yen, C.S. and Wu, E. (1995), 'On inverse problem of rectangular plates subjected to elastic impact, Part II: experimental verification and further application', J. Appl. Mech., 62, 699-705
- Wang, J.T.S. and Cheng, S.H. et al. (1995), 'Local buckling of delaminated beams and plates using continuous analysis', J. Compos. Mater., 29, 1374-1402
- Duan, S.H. and Ye, T.Q. (2002), 'Three-dimensional frictional dynamic contact analysis for predicting low-velocity impact damage in composite laminates', Adv. Eng. Softw., 33, 9-15
- Guinard, S. and Allix, O. et al. (2002), 'A 3D damage analysis of low-velocity impacts on laminated composites', Compos. Sci. Technol., 62, 585-589
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기