Paddy Soil Tillage Impacts on SOC Fractions
Quantifying soil organic carbon (SOC) has long been considered to improve our understanding of soil productivity, soil carbon dynamics, and soil quality. And also SOC could contribute as a major soil management factor for prescribing fertilizers and controlling of soil erosion and runoff. Reducing tillage intensity has been recommended to sequester SOC into soil. On the other hand, determination of traditional SOC could barely identify the tillage practices effect. Physical soil fractionation has been reported to improve interpretation of soil tillage practices impact on SOC dynamics. However, most of these researches were focused onupland soils and few researches were conducted on paddy soils. Therefore, the objective of this research was to evaluate paddy soil tillage impact on SOC by physical soil fractionation. Soils were sampled in conventional-tillage (CT), partial-tillage (PT), no-tillage (NT), and shallow-tillage (ST)plots at the National Institute of Crop Science research farm. Samples were obtained at the three sampling depth with 7.5-cm increment from the surface and were sieved with 0.25- and 0.053-mm screen. Soil organic carbon was determined by wet combustion method. Significant difference of SOC contentwas found among sampling soil depth and soil particle size. SOC content tended to increase at the ST plot with increasing size of soil particle fraction. We conclude that quantifying soil organic carbon by physical soil particle fractionation could improve understanding of SOC dynamics by soil tillage practices.
- Cambardella, C.A., and E.T. Elliott. 1993. Carbon and nitrogen distribution in aggregates from cultivated and native grassland soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 57:1071-1076
- Christensen, B.T. 2001. Physical fractionation of soil and structural and functional complexity in organic matter turnover. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 52:345-353
- Pikul Jr., Joseph L., Shannon Osborne, Michael Ellsbury, Walter Riedell. 2007. Particulate organic matter and water-stable aggregation of soil under contrasting management. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 71:766-776
- Angers, D.A., and M.R. Carter. 1996. Aggregation and organic matter storage in cool, humid agricultural soils. p. 193-211. In M.R. Carter and B.A. Stewart (ed.) Structure and soil organic carbon storage in agricultural soils. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL
- Brady. N.C. and R.R. Weil. 1999. Soil organic matter. p. 446-489. In C.R. Brady and R.R. Weil The nature and properties of soils. Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, NJ
- Buyanovsky, G.A., and G.H. Wagner. 1987. Carbon transfer in a winter wheat (Triticum aestivum ) ecosystem. Biol. Fert. Soils. 5:76-82
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 1997. Revised 1996 IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories: Reference Manual (Vol. 3). J.T. Houghton et al. (ed.) IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland
- National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology (NIAST). 2000. Taxonomical classification of Korean soils. NIAST
- Franzluebbers, A.J. and J. A. Stuedemann. 2003. Bermudagrass management in the southern piedmont USA III. Particulate and biologically active soil carbon. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 67:132-138
- Franzluebbers, A.J., F.M. Hans, and D.A. Zuberer. 1994. Long-term changes in soil carbon and nitrogen pools in wheat management systems. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 58:1639-1645
- Gregorich, E.G., and H.H. Janzen. 1996. Storage of soil carbon in the light fraction and macro organic matter. p. 167-190. In M.R. Carter and B.A. Stewart (ed.) Structure and organic matter storage in soils. Lewis PubL, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL
- Six, J., P. Callewaert, S. Lenders, S. De Gryze, S. J. Morris, E. G. Gregorich, E. A. Paul, and K. Paustian. 2002. Measuring and understanding carbon storage in afforested soils by physical fractionation. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66:1981-1987
- Lal, R., M. Griffin, J. Apt, L. Lave, and M.G. Morgan. 2004. Managing soil carbon. Science 304:393
- Golchin, A., J. M. Oades, and P. Clarke. 1994. Study of free and occluded particulate organic matter in soils by solid-state C-13 CP/ MAS NMR spectroscopy and scanning electron microscopy. Aust. J. Soil Res. 32:285-309
- Dou, Fugen and Frank M. Hans. 2006. Tillage and nitrogen effects on soil organic matter fractions in wheat-based systems. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 70:1896-1905
- Karlen, D.L., and C.A. Cambardella. 1996. Conservation strategies for improving soil quality and organic matter storage. p. 395-420. In M.R. Carter and B.A. Stewart (ed.) Structure and organic matter storage in soils. Lewis PubL, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL
- Cambardella, C.A., and E.T. Elliott. 1992. Particulate soil organic matter changes across a grassland cultivation sequence. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 56:777-783
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기