Switching Picture Added Scalable Video Coding and its Application for Video Streaming Adaptive to Dynamic Network Bandwidth
Transmission of video over Internet or wireless network requires coded stream capable of adapting to dynamic network conditions instantly. To meet this requirement, various scalable video coding schemes have been developed, among which the Scalable Video Coding (SVC) extension of the H.264/AVC is the most recent one. In comparison with the scalable profiles of previous video coding standards, the SVC achieves significant improvement on coding efficiency performance. For adapting to dynamic network bandwidth, the SVC employs inter-layer switching between different temporal, spatial or/and fidelity layers, which is currently supported with instantaneous decoding refresh (IDR) access unit. However, for real-time adaptability, the SVC has to frequently employ the IDR picture, which dramatically decreases the coding efficiency. Therefore, an extension of SP picture from the AVC to the SVC for an efficient inter-layer switching is investigated and presented in this paper. Simulations regarding the adaptability to dynamic network bandwidth are implemented. Results of experiment show that the SP picture added SVC provides an average 1.2 dB PSNR enhancement over the current SVC while providing similar adaptive functionality.
- Wiegand, T., Sullivan, G.J., Reichel, J., Schwarz, H., and Wien, M. (eds): Joint Draft 10 of SVC Amendment. Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-W201, San Jose, CA, USA, April 2007
- Stockhammer, T., Liebl, G.., and Walter, M.: Optimized H.264/AVC-Based Bit Stream Switching for Mobile Video Streaming. EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 2006, pp. 1-19, Sept. 2006
- Schwarz, H., Marpe, D., and Wiegand, T.: Hierarchical B Pictures. Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-P014, Poznan, Poland, July 2005
- Jia, J., Kim, H.-K., Choi, H.-C., and Kim J.-G.: SP Picture for SVC Switching. Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-V045, Marrakech, Morocco, Jan. 2007
- Wien, M., and Schwarz, H.: Test Conditions for SVC Coding Efficiency and JSVM Performance Evaluation. Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-Q205, Nice, France, Oct. 2005
- ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC1: JSVM8 Software. Hangzhou, China, Oct. 2006
- Sun, X., Wu, F., Li, S., Shen, G., and Gao, W.: Drift-free Switching of Compressed Video Bitstreams at Predictive Frames. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp.565-576, May, 2006
- ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC 1: Advanced Video Coding for Generic Audio-Visual Services. ITU-T Recommendation H.264 and ISO/IEC 14496-10 (MPEG4-AVC), Version 4: July 2005
- Karczewics, M., and Kurceren, R.: A Proposal for SP-frames. Video Coding Expert Group Meeting, Doc. VCEG-L27, Eibsee, Germany, Jan. 2001
- Schwarz, H., Marpe, D., and Wiegand, T.: SVC Core Experiment 2.1: Inter-layer Prediction of Motion and Residual Data. ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG11, Doc.M11043, Redmond, WA, USA, July 2004
- Kirchhoffer, H., Schwarz, H., and Wiegand, T.: SVC Core Experiment 1: Simplified FGS. Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-W090, San Jose, CA, USA, April 2007
- Setton, E., and Girod, B.: Rate-distortion Analysis and Streaming of SP and SI Frames. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp.733-743, June 2006
- Karczewics, M., and Kurceren, R.: The SP- and SI- Frames Design for H.264/AVC. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp.637-644, July 2003
- Schwarz, H., Marpe, D., and Wiegand, T.: Overview of the Scalable Video Coding Extension of the H.264/AVC Standard. Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-W132, San Jose, CA, USA, April 2007
- Wiegand, T., Sullivan, G.J., Bj？ntegaard, G., and Luthra, A.: Overview of the H.264/AVC Video Coding Standard. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 560-576, July 2003
- Winken, M., Schwarz, H., Marpe, D., and Wiegand, T.: Adaptive Refinement of Motion Informantion for Fine-granular SNR Scalable Video Coding. Proceeding of EuMob'96, Alghero, Italy, Sept. 2006
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기