Buckling analysis of multi-walled carbon nanotubes under combined loading considering the effect of small length scale
The torsional and axially compressed buckling of an individual embedded multi-walled carbon nanotube(MWNTs) subjected to an internal and/or external radial pressure was investigated in this study. The emphasis is placed on new physical phenomena which are due to both the small length scale and the surrounding elastic medium. Multiwall carbon nanotubes which are considered in this study are classified into three categories based on the radius to thickness ratio, namely, thin, thick, and almost solid. Explicit formulas are derived for the van der Waals(vdW) interaction between any two layers of an MWNT based on the continuum cylindrical shell model. In most of the previous studies, the vdW interaction between two adjacent layers was considered only and the vdW interaction among other layers was neglected. Moreover, in these works, the vdW interaction coefficient was treated as a constant that was independent of the radii of the tubes. However, in the present model the vdW interaction coefficients are considered to be dependent on the change of interlayer spacing and the radii of the tubes. The effect of the small length scale is also considered in the present formulation. The results show that there is a unique buckling mode(m,n) corresponding to the critical shear stress. This result is obviously different from what is expected for the pure axially compressed buckling of an individual multi-walled carbon nanotube.
- Y. Q. Zhang, G. R. Liu and X. Han, Effect of small length scale on elastic buckling of multi-walled carbon nanotube under radial pressure, Phys. lett. A349 (2006) 370-376
- S. P. Timoshenko and J. M. Gere, Theory of Elastic Stability, McGraw-Hill, New York (1961)
- X. Wang, H. K. Yang and K. Dong, Torsional buckling of multi-walled carbon nanotubes, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 404 (2005) 314-322
- S. Iijima, Helical microtubes of graphitic carbon, Nature 354 (1991) 56-58
- C. Q. Ru, Axially compressed buckling of a double- walled carbon nanotube embedded elastic medium, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 49 (2001) 1265-1279
- R. Saito, G. Dresselhous and M. S. Dresselhous, Physical properties of carbon nanotubes, Imperial College press, London (1988)
- Don. O. Brush and Bo. O. Almroth, Buckling of bars, plates, and shells, McGraw-Hill, New York (1975)
- J. E. Lennard-Jones, The determination of molecular Fields: from the variation of the viscosity of a gas with temperature, Proc. Roy. Soc. 106A (1924) 441
- X. Wang, Lu. Guoxing and Y. J. Lu, Buckling of embedded multi-walled carbon nanotubes under combined torsion and axial loading, Int.J. Solid. Struct. 44 (2007) 336-351
- C. Y. Wang, C. Q. Ru and A. Mioduchowskil, Axially compressed buckling of pressured multi-walled carbon nanotubes, Int. J. Solids Struct. 40 (2003) 3893-3911
- O. Gulseren, T. Yildirim and S. Ciraci, Systematic ab initio study of curvature effects in carbon nanotubes, Physical ReviewB 65 (2002)153405
- X. Q. He, S. Kitipornchai and K. M. Liew, Buckling analysis of multi-walled carbon nanotubes: a continuum model accounting for van der Waals interaction, Int .J. Mech. Phys. 53 (2005) 303-326
- J. Yoon, C. Q. Ru and A. Mioduchowskil, Vibration of an embedded multiwall carbon nanotube, Composite Sci. Technol. 63 (2003) 1533-1545
- L. H. Donnell, Beams, Plates, and Shells, McGraw- Hill, New York (1976)
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2010. "" Journal of mechanical science and technology, 24(6): 1289~1299
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기