An experimental study on the distribution of the drop size and velocity in asymmetric impinging jet sprays
Distributions of the drop size and velocity in an asymmetric impinging jet are investigated by injecting water and a sodium carbonate( $Na_2CO_3$ ) solution, which simulates the mixing process in impinging jet sprays of liquid oxidizer and liquid fuel for liquid propellants. The liquid sheet formed from the impinging jet is visualized and the drop size distributions are obtained by using image processing for the visualized images. The drop size distribution of the asymmetric impinging jets is fitted to the Rosin-Rammler distribution function. The obtained drop size distributions according to the azimuth angle in the impinging jet are compared with the theoretical predictions of previous research. The experimental results of the drop size distributions are located between the two curves obtained from the theoretical predictions by treating each jet in the asymmetric impinging jets as an independent wall-impinging jet. PIV images using a double-exposure method were processed to obtain the drop velocity vector in the impinging jets. Whether the drops shedding from the edge of the asymmetric impinging jets occurs radially or tangentially is also investigated from the PIV results.
- D. Hasson, and R. E. Peck, Thickness distribution in a sheet formed by impinging jets, AIChE J. 10 (1964) 752-754
- B. S. Kang, Y. B. Shen and D. Poulikakos, Holography experiments in the breakup region of a liquid sheet formed by two impinging jets, Atomization and Sprays 5 (1995) 387-402
- H. S. Couto, D. Bastos-Netto and C. E. Migueis, modeling of the initial droplet size distribution function in the spray formed by impinging jets, Journal of Propulsion, 8 (3) (1991) 725-728
- A. H. Lefebvre, Atomization and Sprays, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, (1989)
- H. S. Couto and D. Basto-Netto, Droplet size distribution from impinging jets, J. Propulsion and Power 7 (1991) 654-656
- E. A. Ibrahim, and A. J. Przekwas, Impinging jet atomization, Phys. Fluids A 3 (1991) 2981-2987
- J. D. Naber and R. D. Reitz, Modeling engine spray/wall impingement, (1988), SAE Paper 880107
- G. P. Sutton, Rocket Propulsion Elements, John Wiley & Sons (1992)
- Y. J. Choo and B. S. Kang, A study on the velocity distribution of the liquid sheet formed by two impinging jets at low velocities, KSME 2000 Annuals Spring & Fall Conferences 1 (2) (2000) 728-733
- K. Jung, H. S. Koh and Y. B. Yoon, Assessment of planar liquid-laser-induced fluorescence measurements for spray mass distributions of like-doublet injectors, Measurement Science Technology 14 (2003) 1387-1395
- G. I. Taylor, Formation of thin flat sheets of water, Proc. Roy. Soc. London, 10 (1960) 1-17
- N. D. Dombrowski and W. R. Johns, The aerodynamic instability and disintegration of viscous liquid sheets, Chemical Engineering Science 18 (1963) 203-214
- N. Ashgriz, W. Brocklehurst and D. G. Talley, On the mixing mechanisms in a pair of impinging jets, 31st AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, July 10-12, (1995) AIAA paper 95-2421
- C. H. Lee, Y. H. Jung and S. H. Chung, An experiment on flow distribution and mixing in impinging jet sprays, Atomization and Sprays 9 (1999) 192- 213
- W. E. Ranz, Some experiments on the dynamics of liquid films, J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1959) 1950-1955
- N. D. Dombrowski and P. C. Hooper, A study of the spray formed by impinging jets in laminar and turbulent flow, J. Fluid Mech. 18 (1963) 393-400
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기