Language Lateralization in Patients with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy : A Comparison between Volumetric Analysis and the Wada Test
Objective : Determining language lateralization is important for the presurgical evaluation of patients with medically intractable epilepsy. The Wada test has been the gold standard for lateralization of language dominance before epilepsy surgery. However, it is an invasive test with risk, and have some limitations. Methods : We compared the volumetric analysis with Wada test, and studied the clinical potential of volumetric analysis to assess language laterality in large surgical candidates with temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE). To examine the efficacy of volumetric analysis to determine language lateralization during presurgical evaluation, we compared the volumetric analysis of the bilateral planum temporale with the results of Wada test in 59 patients with chronic intractable TLE (rTLE, n=32; lTLE, n=27) who underwent epilepsy surgery. We measured the gray matter volumes of planum temporale (PT) of each patients using the VoxelPlus2 program (Mevisys, Daejeon, Korea). Results : Overall congruence of the volumetric analysis with the Wada test was 97.75% in rTLE patients and 81.5% in lTLE patients. There were more significant leftward asymmetry of the PT in rTLE patients than lTLE patients. In lTLE patients, relatively high proportion (37%) of the patients showed bilateral or right hemispheric language dominance. Conclusion : These results provide evidence that the volumetric analysis of the PT could be used as an alternatives in language lateralization. Also, the results of the Wada test suggested that there was considerable plasticity of language representation in the brains of patients with intractable TLE and it was associated with an earlier age of brain injury.
저자의 다른 논문
- 2005 "Atypical Teratoid Rhabdoid Tumors in Adult Patient with Multiple Lesions" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 38 (5): 387~389
- 2006 "Surgical Strategies in Patients with the Supplementary Sensorimotor Area Seizure" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 40 (5): 323~329
- 2007 "Seizure Control in Patients with Extratemporal Lobe Epilepsy" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 41 (5): 283~290
- 2008 "Effect of Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Post-Traumatic Epilepsy and Failed Epilepsy Surgery : Preliminary Report" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 44 (4): 196~198
- 2008 "Congenital Absence of a Cervical Spine Pedicle : Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 44 (6): 389~391
- 2008 "Midline Glioblastoma Multiforme With Bilateral Symmetric Cysts" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 43 (2): 105~108
- Synapse : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기