Variable Geometry Mixed Flow Turbine for Turbochargers: An Experimental Study
This paper investigates a variable geometry (VG) mixed flow turbine with a novel, purposely designed pivoting nozzle vane ring. The nozzle vane ring was matched to the 3-dimensional aspect of the mixed flow rotor leading edge with lean stacking. It was found that for a nozzle vane ring in a volute, the vane surface pressure is highly affected by the flow in the volute rather than the adjacent vane surface interactions, especially at closer nozzle positions. The performance of the VG mixed flow turbine has been evaluated experimentally in steady and unsteady flow conditions. The VG mixed flow turbine shows higher peak efficiency and swallowing capacity at various vane angle settings compared to an equivalent nozzleless turbine. Comparison with an equivalent straight vane arrangement shows a higher swallowing capacity but similar efficiencies. The VG turbine unsteady performance was found to deviate substantially from the quasi-steady assumption compared to a nozzleless turbine. This is more evident in the higher vane angle settings (smaller nozzle passage), where there are high possibility of choking during a pulse cycle. The presented steady and unsteady results are expected to be beneficial in the design of variable geometry turbochargers, especially the ones with a mixed flow turbine.
- Baines, N.C., Wallace, F.J. and Whitfield, A., 1979, “Computer Aided Design of Mixed Flow Turbines for Turbochargers,”Transaction ASME, Vol. 101, pp. 440-449.
- Abidat, M., Chen, H., Baines, N.C., 1992, “Design of a Highly Loaded Mixed Flow Turbine,” Proceedings Instn. Of Mech.Engrs., Vol. 206.
- Arcoumanis, C., Hakeem, I., Khezzar, L. and Martinez-Botas, R.F., 1995, “Performance of a Mixed Flow TurbochargerTurbine Under Pulsating Flow Conditions,” Transaction ASME, paper 95-GT-210.
- Karamanis, N., Martinez-Botas, R.F., 2002, “Mixed Flow Turbines for Automotive Turbochargers: Steady and unsteadyPerformance,” IMechE Int. J. Engine Research, Vol. 3(3), pp. 127-138.
- Baets, J., Bernard, O., Gamp, T., and Zehnder, M., 1998, “Design and Performance of ABB Turbocharger TPS57 withVariable Turbine Geometry,” 6th Int. Conf. on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, Proc. of the IMechE, paper C554/017/98, pp.315-325.
- Winterbone D.E., Nikpour B. and Alexander, G.I., 1990, “Measurement of the Performance of a Radial Inflow Turbine inSteady and Unsteady Flow,” Proc. IMechE, paper C405/015, pp. 153-162.
- Kosuge, H., Yamanaka, N., Ariga, I., and Watanabe, I., 1976, “Performance of radial flow turbines under pulsating flowconditions,” Trans. of the ASME, J. of Engineering for Power, Vol. 98, pp. 53-59.
- Japikse, D. and Baines, N.C., 1994, Introduction to Turbomachinery, Concept ETI Inc., USA and Oxford University Press,Oxford.
- Hiett, G.F. and Johnston, I.H., 1963, “Experiments Concerning the Aerodynamic Performance in Inward Radial FlowTurbines,” Proc. of the IMechE, 178, Part 3I(II), pp. 28-42.
- Kirtley, K.R., Beach, T.A., Rogo,C., 1993, “Aeroloads and Secondary Flows in a Transonic Mixed Flow Turbine Stage,” Trans. of ASME, 115, pp. 590-601.
- Szymko, S., Martinez-Botas, R.F., Pullen, K. R., McGlashan, N.R. and Chen, H., 2002, “A High-Speed, Permanent MagnetEddy-Current Dynamometer for Turbocharger Research,” 7th Int. Conf. on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, Proc. of theIMechE, paper C602-026.
- Szymko, S., Martinez-Botas, R.F. and Pullen, K.R., 2005, “Experimental Evaluation of Turbocharger Turbine Performance under Pulsating Flow Conditions,” Proc. of ASME Turbo Expo, paper GT 2005-68878.
- Spence, S.W.T., O’Neill, J.W. and Cunningham, G., 2006, “An Investigation of the Flowfield Through a Variable GeometryTurbine Stator with Vane Endwall Clearance,” Proc. of the IMechE, Vol 220, Part A: J. Power and Energy, pp. 899-910.
- Szymko, S., 2006, “The Development of an Eddy Current Dynamometer for Evaluation of Steady and PulsatingTurbocharger Turbine Performance,” PhD Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London, UK.
- NDSL :
- DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.5293/IJFMS.2008.1.1.155
- Japan Science and Technology Information Aggregator, Electronic : 저널> 권호 > http://joi.jlc.jst.go.jp/JST.JSTAGE/ijfms/1.155?from=KISTI
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기