폐경기 관련 우울증의 평가와 치료
Diagnosis and Treatment of Menopause-Related Depression
Recent Korean statistics show that a Korean woman can now expect to live until her mid-80s, which implies living at least one-third of her life after menopause. The menopausal transition is typically marked by intense hormonal fluctuations, accompanied by sleep disturbance, vasomotor symptoms(e.g., hot flashes, night sweats), increased risk for osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and developing depression as well as mood disturbances. These symptoms can affect a woman's quality of life negatively. Therefore, a comprehensive understanding of the accurate detection and appropriate treatment of various menopause-related symptoms including depression in the menopausal transitions and postmenopause is mandatory. This review primarily focused on the current knowledge about the treatment of menopause-related depression.
- Burger H, Woods NF, Dennerstein L, Alexander JL, Kotz K, Richardson G. Nomenclature and endocrinology of menopause and perimenopause. Expert Rev Neurother 2007;7:S35-S43.
- Roberts RE, Vernon SW. The Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale: its use in a community sample. Am J Psychiatry 1983;140:41-46.
- Dennerstein L, Lehert P, Burger H, Dudley E. Mood and the menopausal transition. J Nerv Ment Dis 1999;187:685-691.
- Woods NF, Mitchell ES. Pathways to depressed mood for midlife women: observations from the Seattle Midlife Women's Health Study. Res Nurs Health 1997;20:119-129.
- Bromberger JT, Assmann SF, Avis NE, Schocken M, Kravitz HM, Cordal A. Persistent mood symptoms in a multiethnic community cohort of pre- and perimenopausal women. Am J Epidemiol 2003;158:347-356.
- Joffe H, Cohen LS. Estrogen, serotonin, and mood disturbance: where is the therapeutic bridge- Biol Psychiatry 1998;44:798-811.
- Schmidt PJ, Haq N, Rubinow DR. A longitudinal evaluation of the relationship between reproductive status and mood in perimenopausal women. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:2238-2244.
- Stearns V, Loprinzi CL. New therapeutic approaches for hot flashes in women. J Support Oncol 2003;1:11-21;discussion 14-15, 19-21.
- Freedman RR, Roehrs TA. Lack of sleep disturbance from menopausal hot flashes. Fertil Steril 2004;82:138-144.
- Kronenberg F. Hot flashes: epidemiology and physiology. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1990;592:52-86; discussion 123-133.
- Woods NF, Mitchell ES. Anticipating menopause: observations from the Seattle Midlife Women's Health Study. Menopause 1999;6:167-173.
- Morrison MF, Kallan MJ, Ten Have T, Katz I, Tweedy K, Battistini M. Lack of efficacy of estradiol for depression in postmenopausal women: a randomized, controlled trial. Biol Psychiatry 2004;55:406-412.
- Schmidt PJ, Nieman L, Danaceau MA, Tobin MB, Roca CA, Murphy JH, et al. Estrogen replacement in perimenopause transition-related depression: a preliminary report. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000;183:414-420.
- Cohen LS, Soares CN, Poitras JR, Prouty J, Alexander AB, Shifren JL. Short-term use of estradiol for depression in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women: a preliminary report. Am J Psychiatry 2003;160:1519-1522.
- Soares CN, Poitras JR, Prouty J. Effect of reproductive hormones and selective estrogen receptor modulators on mood during menopause. Drugs Aging 2003;20:85-100.
- Ockene JK, Barad DH, Cochrane BB, Larson JC, Gass M, Wassertheil-Smoller S, et al. Symptom experience after discontinuing use of estrogen plus progestin. JAMA 2005;294:183-193.
- Joffe H, Groninger H, Soares CN, Nonacs R, Cohen LS. An open trial of mirtazapine in menopausal women with depression unresponsive to estrogen replacement therapy. J Womens Health Gend Based Med 2001;10:999-1004.
- Soares CN, Arsenio H, Joffe H, Bankier B, Cassano P, Petrillo LF, et al. Escitalopram versus ethinyl estradiol and norethidrone acetate for symptomatic peri- and postmenopausal women: impact on depression, vasomotor symptoms, sleep, and quality of life. Menopause 2006;13:780-786.
- Worthington JJ 3rd, Peters PM. Treatment of antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction. Drugs Today(Barc) 2003;39:887-896.
- Walters V. Stress, anxiety and depression: women's accounts of their health problems. Soc Sci Med 1993;36:393-402.
- Woods NF, Mitchell ES. Patterns of depressed mood in midlife women; observations from the Seattle Midlife Women's Health Study. Res Nurs Health 1996;19:111-123.
- Amick BC 3rd, Kawachi I, Coakley EH, Lerner D, Levine S, Colditz GA. Relationship of job strain and isostrain to health status in a cohort of women in the United States. Scand J Work Environ Health 1998;24:54-61.
- Hunter M, Battersby R, Whitehead M. Relationship between psychological symptoms, somatic complaints and menopausal status. Matuitas 1986;8:217-228.
- Hunter M. The south-east England longitudinal study of the climacteric and postmenopause. Maturitas 1992;14:117-126.
- Bergstrom I, Landgren BM, PyykkoI. Training or EPT in perimenopause on balance and flushes. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2007;86:467-472.
- Kaufert PA, Gilbert P, Tate R. The Manitoba Project: a re-examination of the link between menopause and depression. Maturitas 1992;14:143-155.
- Schmidt PJ, Murphy JH, Haq N, Rubinow DR, Danaceau MA. Stressful life events, personal losses, and perimenopause-related depression. Arch Womens Ment Health 2004;7:19-26.
- Freeman EW, Sammel MD, Liu L, Gracia CR, Nelson DB, Hollander L. Hormones and menopausal status as predictors of depression in women in transition to menopause. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2004;61:62-70.
- Odmark IS, Backstrom T, Johnsson B, Bixo M. Wellbeing at onset of hormone replacement therapy: comparison between two continuous combined regimens. Climacteric 2004;7:92-102.
- Entsuah AR, Huang H, Thase ME. Response and remission rates in different subpopulations with major depressive disorder administered venlafaxine, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or placebo. J Clin Psychiatry 2001;62:869-877.
- Freeman EW, Sammel MD, Grisso JA, Battistini M, Garcia-Espagna B, Hollander L. Hot flashes in the late reproductive years: risk factors for Africa American and Caucasian women. J Womens Health Gend Based Med 2001;10:67-76.
- Richards M, Rubinow DR, Daly RC, Schmidt PJ. Premenstrual symptoms and perimenopausal depression. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:133-137.
- Mitchell ES, Woods NF. Symptom experiences of midlife women: observations from the Seattle Midlife Women's Health Study. Maturitas 1996;25:1-10.
- Oldenhave A, Jaszmann LJ, Haspels AA, Everaerd WT. Impact of climacteric on well-being. A survey based on 5213 women 39 to 60 years old. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993;168:772-780.
- Harlow BL, Cohen LS, Otto MW, Spiegelman D, Cramer DW. Prevalence and predictors of depressive symptoms in older premenopausal women: the Harvard Study of Moods and Cylces. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:418-424.
- Soares CN, Almeida OP, Joffe H, Cohen LS. Efficacy of estradiol for the treatment of depressive disorders in perimenopausal women: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58:529-534.
- Cheng G, Wilczek B, Warner M, Gustafsson JA, Landgren BM. Isoflavone treatment for acute menopausal symptoms. Menopause 2007:14:468-473.
- McKinlay SM, Brambilla DJ, Posner JG. The normal menopause transition. Maturitas 1992;14:103-115.
- Harlow BL, Wise LA, Otto MW, Soares CN, Cohen LS. Depression and its influence on reproductive endocrine and menstrual cycle markers associated with perimenopause: the Harvard Study of Moods and Cycles. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003;60:29-36.
- Becker D, Lomranz J, Pines A, Shmotkin D, Nitza E, BennAmitay G, et al. Psychological distress around menopause. Psychosomatics 2001;42:252-257.
- Joffe H, Soares CN, Petrillo LF, Viguera AC, Somley BL, Koch JK, et al. Treatment of depression and menopause-related symptoms with the serotonin-norepiniphrine reuptake inhibitor duloxetine. J Clin Psychiatry 2007;68:943-950.
- Harlow BL, Cramer DW, Annis KM. Association of medically treated depression and age at natural menopause. Am J Epidemiol 1995;141:1170-1176.
- Dennerstein L, Burrows GD, Hyman GJ, Sharpe K. Hormone therapy and affect. Maturitas 1979;1:247-259.
- Burt VK, Hendrick VC. Perimenopuase and menopause. In: Concise Guide to Women's Mental Health. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Press;1997. p.103-115.
- Jaszmann L, Van Lith ND, Zaat JC. The age of menopause in the Netherlands. The statistical analysis of a survey. Int J Fertil 1969;14:106-117.
- Nelson H, Haney E, Humphrey L, Miller J, Nedrow, Nicolaidis C, et al. Management of menopause-related symptoms. Evid Rep Technol Asses(Summ) 2005;120:1-6.
- Rasgon NL, Altshuler LL, Fairbanks L. Estrogen-replacement therapy for depression. Am J Psychiatry 2001;158:1738.
- Dennerstein L, Dudley EC, Hopper JL, Guthrie JR, Burger HG. A prospective population-based study of menopausal symptoms. Obstet Gynecol 2000;96:351-358.
- Matthews KA, Wing RR, Kuller LH, Meilahn EN, Kelsey SF, Costello EJ, et al. Influences of natural menopause on psychological characteristics and symptoms of middleaged healthy women. J Consult Clin Psychol 1990;58:345-351.
- Metcalf MG, Donald RA, Livesey JH. Pituitary-ovarian function in normal women during the menopausal transition. Clin Endocrinol(Oxf) 1981;14:234-255.
- Rubinow DR, Schmidt PJ, Roca CA. Estrogen-serotonin interactions: implications for affective regulation. Biol Psychiatry 1998;44:839-850.
- Avis NE, Brambilla D, McKinlay SM, Vass K. A longitudinal analysis of the association between menopause and depression. Results from the Massachusetts Women's Health Study. Ann Epidemiol 1994;4:214-220.
- Joffe H, Soares CN, Cohen LS. Assessment and treatment of hot flushes and menopausal mood disturbance. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2003;26:563-580.
- Dias RS, Kerr-Correa F, Moreno RA, Trinca LA, Pontes A, Halbe HW, et al. Efficacy of hormone therapy with and without methyltestosterone augmentation of venlafaxine in the treatment of postmenopausal depression: a double-blind controlled pilot study. Menopause 2006;13:202-211.
- Cassano P, Soares CN, Cusin C, Mascarini A, Cohen LS, Fava M. Antidepressant response and well-being in pre-, peri- and postmenopausal women with major depressive disorder treated with fluoxetine. Psychother Psychosom 2005;74:362-365.
- Soules MR, Sherman S, Parrott E, Rebar R, Santoro N, Utian W, et al. Executive summary: stages of Reproductive Aging Workshop(STRAW). Climacteric 2001;4:267-272.
- Burger HG, Dudley EC, Hopper JL, Groome N, Guthrie JR, Green A, et al. Prospectively measured levels of serum follicle-stimulating hormone, estradiol, and the dimeric inhibins during the menopausal transition in a population-based cohort of women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999;84:4025-4030.
- Freeman EW, Sammel MD, Lin H, Nelson DB. Associations of hormones and menopausal status with depressed mood in women with no history of depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2006;63:375-382.
- Morgan ML, Cook IA, Rapkin AJ, Leuchter AF. Estrogen augmentation of antidepressants in perimenopausal depression: a pilot study. J Clin Psychiatry 2005;66:774-780.
- Irvin JH, Domar AD, Clark C, Zuttermeister PC, Friedman R. The effects of relaxation response training on menopausal symptoms. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 1996;17:202-207.
- Cheng Y, Kawachi I, Coakley EH, Schwartz J, Colditz G. Association between psychosocial work characteristics and health functioning in American women: prospective study. BMJ 2000;320:1432-1436.
- Erlik Y, Tataryn IV, Meldrum DR, Lomax P, Bajorek JG, Judd HL. Association of waking episodes with menopausal hot flushes. JAMA 1981;245:1741-1744.
- Dorsey CM, Lee KA, Scharf MB. Effect of zolpidem on sleep in women with perimenopausal and postmnopausal insomnia: a 4-week, randomized, multicenter, doubleblind, placebo-controlled study. Clin Ther 2004;26:1578-1586.
- Baker A, Simpson S, Dawson D. Sleep disruption and mood changes associated with menopause. J Psychosom Res 1997;43:359-369.
- Kessler RC, McGonagle KA, Swartz M, Blazer DG, Nelson CB. Sex and depression in the National Comorbidity Survey. I: lifetime prevalence, chronicity and recurrence. J Affect Disord 1993;29:85-96.
- Guay MP, Draqomir A Pilon D, Moride Y, Perreault S. Changes in pattern of use, clinical characteristics and persistence rate of hormone replacement therapy among postmenopausal women after WHI publication. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2007;16:17-27.
- Cohen LS, Soares CN, Vitonis AF, Otto MW, Harlow BL. Risk for new onset of depression during the meno pausal transition: the Harvard Study of moods and cycles. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2006;63:385-390.
- Joffe H, Hall JE, Soares CN, Hennen J, Reilly CJ, Carlson K, et al. Vasomotor symptoms are associated with depression in perimenopausal women seeking primary care. Menopause 2002;9:392-398.
- Woods NF, Smith-DiJulio K, Percival DB, Tao EY, Mariella A, Mitchell S. Depressed mood during the menopausal transition and early postmenopause: observations from the Seattle Midlife Women's Health Study. Menopause 2008;15:223-232.
- Grady D, Ettinger B, Tosteson AN, Pressman A, Macer JL. Predictors of difficulty when discontinuing postmenopausal hormone therapy. Obstet Gynecol 2003;102:1233-1239.
- Kornstein SG, Schatzberg AF, Thase ME, Yonkers KA, McCullough JP, Keitner GI, et al. Gender differences in treatment response to sertraline versus imipramine in chronic depression. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:1445-1452.
- Bromberger JT, Matthews KA. A longitudinal study of the effects of pessimism, trait anxiety, and life stress on depressive symptoms in middle-aged women. Psychol Aging 1996;11:207-213.
- Writing Group for the Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results From the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2002;288:321-333.
- Coope J. Hormonal and non-hormonal interventions for menopausal symptoms. Maturitas 1996;3:159-168.
- Soares CN, Joffe H, Viguera AC, Petrillo L, Rydzewski M, Yehezkel R, et al. Paroxetine versus placebo for women in midlife after hormone therapy discontinuation. Am J Med 2008;121:159-162. e1.
- Avis NE, McKinlay SM. A longitudinal analysis of women's attitudes toward the menopause: results from the Massachusetts Women's Health Study. Maturitas 1991;13:65-79.
- Dennerstein L, Dudley E, Guthrie J. Empty nest or revolving door- A prospective study of women's quality of life in midlife during the phase of children leaving and re-entering the home. Psychol Med 2002;32:545-550.
- Steiner M, Yonkers K. Mood disorders associated with the menopause. In: Depression in Women. London: Martin Dunitz;1998. p.48-59.
- Schmidt PJ, Rubinow DR. Menopause-related affective disorders: a justification for further study. Am J Psychiatry1991;148:844-852.
- Soares CN, Poitras JR, Prouty J, Alexander AB, Shifren JL, Cohen LS. Efficacy of citalopram as a monotherapy or as an adjunctive treatment to estrogen therapy for perimenopausal and postmenopausal women with depression and vasomotor symptoms J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:473-479.
- NDSL :
- 대한생물정신의학회 : 저널
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기