정신과 입원 환자에서의 다음증 및 물중독 유병률 및 위험인자에 관한 연구
Prevalence and Risk Factors of Polydipsia and Water Intoxication in Psychiatric Inpatients
Objectives : The aims of this study are to estimate the prevalence of polydipsia and water intoxication and to identify risk factors of polydipsia and water intoxication in psychiatric inpatient. Methods : 1,108 Psychiatric inpatients at 2 mental hospitals in Yongin city were studied from September, 2008 to January, 2009. We diagnosed 'polydipsia' using staff reports(fluid intake>3L/day) or by specific gravity of urine(SPGU 4%). We attempted to identify clinical characteristics of patients by reviewing their medical records. Results : Two hundred forty seven patients(22.3%) were polydipsic. Sixty eight patients(6.1%) were at risk for water intoxication. The factors associated with polydipsia were lithium, smoking, younger age and increased smoking amounts. The factors associated with risk for water intoxication were valproic acid and polydipsia. Conclusion : Polydipsia and water intoxication in psychiatric inpatients are not rare conditions. Therefore, clinicians' attention should be paid to these conditions.
- de Leon J, Verghese C, Tracy JI, Josiassen RC, Simpson GM. Polydipsia and water intoxication in psychiatric patients: a review of the epidemiological literature. Biol Psychiatry 1994;35:408-419.
- Goldman MB. A rational approach to disorders of water balance in psychiatric patients. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1991;42:488-494.
- Bremner AJ, Regan A. Intoxicated by water. Polydipsia and water intoxication in a mental handicap hospital. Br J Psychiatry 1991;158:244-250.
- Vieweg WV, Weiss NM, David JJ, Rowe WT, Godleski LS, Spradlin WW. Treatment of psychosis, intermittent hyponatremia, and polydipsia(PIP syndrome) using lithium and phenytoin. Biol Psychiatry 1988;23:25-30.
- Branten AJ, Wetzels JF, Weber AM, Koene RA. Hyponatremia due to sodium valproate. Ann Neurol 1998;43:265-267.
- Ikeda K, Moriyasu H, Yasaka M, Oita J, Yamaguchi T. [Valproate related syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone(SIADH)--a case report.] Rinsho Shinkeigaku 1994;34:911-913.
- Okura M, Morii S. Polydipsia, polyuria and water intoxication observed in psychiatric inpatients. Tokushima J Exp Med 1986;33:1-5.
- Vieweg WV, David JJ, Rowe WT, Wampler GJ, Burns WJ, Spradlin WW. Death from self-induced water intoxication among patients with schizophrenic disorders. J Nerv Ment Dis 1985;173:161-165.
- Grandjean EM, Aubry JM. Lithium: updated human knowledge using an evidence-based approach: part III: clinical safety. CNS Drugs 2009;23:397-418.
- Cho SJ, Lee BJ, Cho MJ, Kim YI, Suh T, Jung IK. Length of Stay of Psychiatric Patient and Its Correlate in Mental Health-related Facilities. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 2006;45:372-381.
- Kim CS, Kim HN, Paik KC. Clinical Characteristics of Chronic Schizophrenic Inpatients at Risk of Polydipsia and Water Intoxication Measured with Normalized Diurnal Weight Gain. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 1996;35:740-752.
- Luchins DJ, Nettles KW, Goldman MB. Anterior medial temporal lobe volumes in polydipsic schizophrenic patients with and without hypo-osmolemia: a pilot study. Biol Psychiatry 1997;42:767-770.
- Corda C, Beuriat P, Sgro C, Giroud M, Escousse A, Dumas R. [Hyponatremia under sodium valproate: search a drug interaction.] Therapie 1991;46:169.
- de Leon J, Dadvand M, Canuso C, Odom-White A, Stanilla J, Simpson GM. Polydipsia and water intoxication in a long-term psychiatric hospital. Biol Psychiatry 1996;40:28-34.
- Mercier-Guidez E, Loas G. Polydipsia and water intoxication in 353 psychiatric inpatients: an epidemiological and psychopathological study. Eur Psychiatry 2000; 15:306-311.
- Illowsky BP, Kirch DG. Polydipsia and hyponatremia in psychiatric patients. Am J Psychiatry 1988;145:675-683.
- Goldman MB, Robertson GL, Luchins DJ, Hedeker D, Pandey GN. Psychotic exacerbations and enhanced vasopressin secretion in schizophrenic patients with hyponatremia and polydipsia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1997;54:443-449.
- Miyaoka T, Seno H, Itoga M, Kishi T, Ishino H, Horiguchi J. Contribution of sodium valproate to the syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2001;16:59-61.
- Gonzalez I, Perez N, Penas-LLedo EM, LLerena, Gonzalez I, de la Rubia A. High risk of polydipsia and water intoxication in schizophrenia patients. Schizophr Res 2008;99:377-378.
- Llerena A, De la Rubia Martlnez A, Penas-Lledo EM. [Prevalence of polydipsia and water intoxication in psychiatric inpatients.] Actas Esp Psiquiatr 2001;29:299-303.
- Adler LE, Olincy A, Waldo M, Harris JG, Griffith J, Stevens K, et al. Schizophrenia, sensory gating, and nicotinic receptors. Schizophr Bull 1998;24:189-202.
- Hobson JA, English JT. Self-induced water intoxication; case study of a chronically schizophrenic patient with physiological evidence of water retention due to inappropriate release of antidiuretic hormone. Ann Intern Med 1963;58:324-332.
- Oh DY, Suh HJ. A study on Polydipsia of Psychiatric Inpatients. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 1996;35:729-739.
- Chong SA, Tan LL, Wong MC, Woo SC, Tan CH, Ng LL. Disordered water homeostasis in Asian patients with schizophrenia. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 1997;31:869-873.
- Evenson RC, Jos CJ, Mallya AR. Prevalence of polydipsia among public psychiatric patients. Psychol Rep 1987;60:803-807.
- de Leon J, Tracy J, McCann E, McGrory A. Polydipsia and schizophrenia in a psychiatric hospital: a replication study. Schizophr Res 2002;57:293-301.
- NDSL :
- 대한생물정신의학회 : 저널
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기