The Effect of Physical Ageing on Torque in Worsted Spun Yarns
The intrinsic torque of freshly spun wool yarns is affected by ageing of wool roving prior to spinning as well as the storage time of the yarn after spinning. The effect of physical ageing of roving on yarn torque properties has not been observed before and this study shows that the yarn intrinsic torque increases with ageing of the roving and decreases or relaxes with the yarn storage time. The dependency of the intrinsic torque on the roving ageing time and the yarn storage time after spinning show a simple double-logarithmic shift factor of 0.42 compared with the value of 1 found generally for amorphous polymeric materials. The self-plying twist of the yarns used in this study shows a close link to the intrinsic torque and both are affected by the history of the roving prior to spinning. Significant reductions in the self-plying twist were obtained when deaged rovings were used in spinning. When self-plying twist is used as a predictor of fabric spirality the roving and yarn history needs to be considered. This study shows that low intrinsic torque yarns can be produced by deageing of the roving prior to spinning.
- P. K. Banajee and P. Bhat, Ind. J. Fibre Text. Res., 31, 409 (2006)
- D. G. Phillips, Text. Res. J., 78, 671 (2008)
- B. M. Chapman, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 17, 1693 (1973)
- C. D. Tran, G. H. D. van der Heijden, and D. G. Phillips, 'Issues in Processing Unstable Twisted Fibre Assemblies', Eurosis-ETI, Palermo, Italy, 2006
- L. C. E. Struik, 'Physical Ageing in Amorphous Polymers and Other Materials', Elsevier, 1978
- C. M. Murrells, B. G. Xu, K. P. S. Cheng, and X. M. Tao, 'Twist Liveliness Measurement and Its Application to Predict Fabric Spirality', Textile Institute, Shanghai, 2004
- M. M. Platt, W. G. Klein, and W. J. Hamburger, Text. Res. J., 28, 1 (1958)
- B. M. Chapman, J. Text. Inst., 66, 339 (1975)
- P. Mitchell, G. R. S. Naylor, and D. G. Phillips, Text. Res. J., 76, 169 (2006)
- D. G. Phillips, 'The Assessment of Wrinkling in the Laboratory and in Wear', The Textile Machinery Society of Japan, Kyoto, 1982
- D. G. Phillips, Text. Res. J., 55, 171 (1985)
- D. G. Phillips, Text. Res. J., 57, 415 (1987)
- C. M. Murrells, X. M. Tao, K. P. S. Cheng, and K. K. Wong, Textile Asia, 34, 58 (2003)
- E. F. Denby, 'Wrinkling', The Textile Machinery Society of Japan, Kyoto, 1982
- R. L. Hayes, J. D. Leeder, and D. S. Taylor, Text. Res. J., 45, 712 (1975)
- C. D. Tran, G. H. D. van der Heijden, and D. G. Phillips, J. Text. Inst., 99, 325 (2008)
- J. M. Curie, A. P. Pierlot, and I. M. Russell, Text. Res. J., 67, 18 (1997)
- C. D. Tran and D. G. Phillips, J. Text. Inst., 98, 387 (2007)
- D. G. Phillips, 'Torque in Twisted Structures', Autex, NCSU, Rayleigh, 2006
- F.-J. Wortmann and S. De Jong, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 30, 2195 (1985)
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기