The Influence of Role Strain on Stepfamily Adjustment
The purpose of this study was to explore the dynamics of stepfamilies and the adjustment difficulties such families may experience. The study describes some sociodemographic characteristics of a sample of 117 stepfamilies. The independent variables were stresses due to adjustment difficulties, which were defined as "role strains". Sociodemographic variables included gender, family income level, length of time since remarriage, type of stepfamily, and the existence of any children born to the new marriage. The dependent variable was the extent of stepfamily adjustment, expressed as a scale. The factors influencing family adjustment included stepparent gender, family income level, type of stepfamily, and various role strain variables (family boundary ambiguity, role conflict, etc.). Practical recommendations for social work are made and possibilities for future research in this area are discussed based on the results of this study.
- Amato, P. R., & Keith, B. (1991). Parental divorce and the well-being of children: A meta analysis. Psychological Bulletin 110: 26-46
- Cherlin, A. (1978). Remarriage as an incomplete institution. American Journal of Sociology, 84, 634-650
- Bray, J. H., & Berger, S. H. (1993). Nonresidential parent-child relationships following divorce and remarriage. In C. E. Depner & J. H. Bray (Eds.), Nonresidential parenting: New theory, research, and practice (pp. 69-86). Westport, CT: Praeger
- Bray, J. H. (1999). From marriage to remarriage and beyond: Findings from the developmental issues in stepfamilies research project. In E. M. Hetherington (Eds.), Coping with divorce, single parenting, and remarriage: A risk and resiliency perspective (pp. 273-294). Mahwah, NJ: Earlbaum
- Beaudry, M., Boisvert, J. M., Simard, M., Parent, C., & Blais, M. C. (2004). Communication: A key component to meeting the challenges of stepfamilies. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 42(1/2), 85-104
- Boss, P. (1980). Normative family stress: Family boundary changes across the life span. Family Relations, 29, 445-450
- Ambert, A. M., & Ahron, C. R. (1986). Being a stepparent: Live-in and visiting stepchildren. Journal of Marriage and Family, 48, 795-804
- Adler-Baeder, C., & Higginbotham, M. (2004). How marital dissolution affects children: Variations by age and sex. Developmental Psychology, 25, 540-549
- Ahron, C. R., & Rodgers, R. (1987). Divorced families: A multidisciplinary developmental view. New York: W. W. Norton
- Anderson, J., & White, G. (1986). An empirical investigation of interactive and relationship patterns in functional and dysfunctional nuclear families and stepfamilies. Family Process, 25, 407-422
- Bray, J. H. (1992). Family relationships and children's adjustment in clinical and nonclinical stepfather families. Journal of Family Psychology, 6, 60-68
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기