Effects of Grandparenting and Emotional Attachments on the Emotional and Behavioral Disorder Symptoms of Grandchildren
The effects of grandparenting involvement and emotional attachments on emotional and behavioral development among adolescents were explored through the use of a UK cross-sectional national data of 1,566 adolescents aged eleven to sixteen years old receiving some form of grandparenting. A correlation and logistic regression analyses yielded results that supported the positive effects of grandparenting on the emotional and behavioral disorder symptoms of adolescents. The results indicate that most selected socio-demographic, grandparenting involvement, and the emotional attachment variables of grandchildren influenced the likelihood of increasing or decreasing emotional disorder symptoms among adolescents. However, no support was found for perceiving emotional attachments with grandparents as a predictor of behavioral disorder symptoms among youth, whereas socio-demographic and grandparenting involvement variables showed significant impacts on behavioral disorder symptoms. The findings highlight the importance of a systematic approach about the socio-demographic characteristics, levels of grandparenting, and emotional attachment levels with grandparents to understand youth cared for by grandparents that experience emotional and/or behavioral disorder symptoms, when intervention or prevention programs are considered.
- Bohlin, G., Hagekull, B., & Rydell, A. M. (2000). Attachment and social functioning: A longitudinal study from infancy to middle childhood. Social Development, 9, 24-39
- Amato, P. R. (2008). Recent Changes in Family Structure: Implications for Children, Adults, and Society. National Healthy Marriage Resource Center. From http:// www.healthymarriageinfo.org/docs/May08change famstructure. pdf
- Buchanan, A., & Flouri, E. (2008). Involved Grandparenting and Child Well-Being, 2007 [computer file]. Colchester, Esgender: UK Data Archive [distributor], December 2008. SN: 6075
- Ando, K. (2005). Grandparenthood: Crossroads between gender and aging. International Journal of Japanese Sociology 14, 32-51
- Cho, S., & Kang, K. (2009). Characteristics of living and preferred home environment of dual-income housewives in apartment complexes. Architecture Institute of Korea, 25(5), 113-122
- Ainsworth, M. D. S., & Bowlby, J. (1991). An ethological approach to personality development. American Psychologist, 46, 333-341
- Choi, H. K. (2006). Social support for grandparentheaded families and its effects on grandparent caregivers' physical and mental health. Journal of population Association of Korea, 29(2), 115-142, 245-246
저자의 다른 논문
- 2004 "Impacts of Cigarette Sales to Adolescents, Familial Expectations of Smoking, and Drinking/Drug Use on Smoking Behaviour among Teenagers" International journal of human ecology 5 (1): 1~8
- 2006 "Socio-Economic, Parental-Health, and Family Functioning Differentials in Children's Emotional and Behavioral Characteristics: Comparison between Children with Disability Families and Children with Non-Disability Families" International journal of human ecology 7 (2): 75~84
- 2006 "The Effects of Parenting Environment During Pregnancy in Relation to the Child's Later Behavioral, and Emotional Characteristics" International journal of human ecology 7 (1): 121~129
- 2007 "Risk Factors Associated with Emotional and Conduct Behavior Problems of UK Female Adolescents: Comparative Exploration between Non-Stepfamilies and Stepfamilies" International journal of human ecology 8 (2): 61~74
- 2008 "Multifaceted Risk Factors for Mental Health Problems of Adolescents in Correctional Facilities: Toward an Integrated Implication for Rehabilitation and Reintegration into Society" International journal of human ecology 9 (2): 29~43
- 2009 "Predictors of Emotional and Behavioral Symptoms among 'Looked after Children' in England" International journal of human ecology 10 (1): 61~74
- 2010 "Effects of Socio-Demographic Characteristics and Peer Relations on the Emotional, Behavioral, and Comorbid Disorder Symptoms in Low-SES Children" International journal of human ecology 11 (1): 49~63
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기