Topology Optimization for Large-displacement Compliant Mechanisms Using Element Free Galerkin Method
This paper presents a topology optimization approach using element-free Galerkin method (EFGM) for the optimal design of compliant mechanisms with geometrically non-linearity. Meshless method has an advantage over the finite element method(FEM) because it is more capable of handling large deformation resulted from geometrical nonlinearity. Therefore, in this paper, EFGM is employed to discretize the governing equations and the bulk density field. The sensitivity analysis of the optimization problem is performed by incorporating the adjoint approach with the meshless method. The Lagrange multipliers method adjusted for imposition of both the concentrated and continuous essential boundary conditions in the EFGM is proposed in details. The optimization mathematical formulation is developed to convert the multi-criteria problem to an equivalent single-objective problem. The popularly applied interpolation scheme, solid isotropic material with penalization (SIMP), is used to indicate the dependence of material property upon on pseudo densities discretized to the integration points. A well studied numerical example has been applied to demonstrate the proposed approach works very well and the non-linear EFGM can obtain the better topologies than the linear EFGM to design large-displacement compliant mechanisms.
- Frecker M.I., Ananthasuresh G.K., Nishiwaki S., et al. (1997), Topological synthesis of compliant micromechanisms using multi-criteria optimization. Journal of Mechanical Design 119, 238-45
- Liu G.R.(2002), Mesh Free Method: Moving Beyond the Finite Element Method. USA:CR C Press
- Sigmund O., and Petersson J.(1998) Numerical instabilities in topology optimization: a survey on procedures dealing with checkerboards, mesh-dependencies and local minima. Structure and Multidisciplinary Optimization 16, 68-75
- Svanberg K.(2002), A class of globally convergent optimization methods based on conservative convex separable approximations, SIAM Journal on Optimization 12, 555-573
- Zhang X., Liu X., Lu M.W., et al.(2001), Imposition of essential boundary conditions by displacement constraint equations in meshless methods. Comm Numer Methods Engrg 17(3), 165-178
- Ananthasuresh G.K., Kota S. and Gianchandani Y.(1994), A methodical approach to the design of compliant micromechanisms. In: Technical Digest of the Solid-State Sensor and Actuator Workshop, Hilton Head Island, SC June 13-16, 189-92
- Belytschko T., Lu Y.Y. and Gu L. (1994), Element free Galerkin methods. International Jounal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 37, 229-56
- Gea H.C. and Luo J.(2001), Topology optimization of structures with geometrical nonlinearities. Computers and Structures 79, 1977-85
- Howell L.L. (2001), Compliant mechanisms. John Wiley &Sons, Inc., New York
- Belyeschko T., Krongauz Y., Organ D., et al.(1996), Meshless methods: an overview and recent developments. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 39, 3-47
- Zhang X., Liu X.H., Song K.Z., et al.(2001), Least-square collocation meshless method. Int J Numer Method s Engrg 51(9), 1089-1100
- Luo Z., Yang J.Z., Chen L.P., et al. (2006)A new hybrid fuzzy-goal programming scheme for multi-objective topological optimization of static and dynamic structures under multiple loading conditions, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 31(1), 26-39
- Luo Z., Chen L.P., Yang J.Z., et al.(2005), Compliant mechanism design using multi-objective topology optimization scheme of continuum structures. Structure and Multidisciplinary Optimization 30(2), 142-54
- Zhou M., and Rozvany G.I.N.(1991), The COC algorithm, part II: topological, geometry and generalized shape optimization. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 89, 197-22
- Wang M.Y., Wang X.M. and Guo D.M.(2003), A level set method for structural topology optimization. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 192, 227-246
- Belinha J., Dinis L.(2007), Nonlinear analysis of plates and laminates using the element free Galerkin method. Composite Structures 78, 337-350
- Cho S. and Kwak J.(2006), Topology design optimization of geometrically non-linear structures using meshless method. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 195, 5909-5925
- Gu Y.T., Wang Q.X. and Lam K.Y.(2007), A meshless local Kriging method for large deformation analyses. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 196, 1673-1684
- Sigmund O.(1997), On the design of compliant mechanisms using topology optimization. Mechanics of Structures and Machines 25(3), 493-524
- Bendsoe M.P. and Kikuchi N.(1988) Generating optimal topology in structural design using a homogenization method. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 71, 197-224
- Jun S., Liu W.K. and Belytschko T.(1998), Explicit reproducing kernel particle methods for large deformation problems. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 41, 137-166
- Buhl T., Pedersen C.B.W. and Sigmund O.(2000), Stiffness design of geometrically nonlinear structures using topology optimization. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 19(2), 93-104
- Kota S., Lu K.J., Kreiner Z., et al. (2005), Design and application of compliant mechanisms for surgical tools. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 127(6), 981-989
$\phi$e M.P. and Sigmund O.(2003), Topology optimization: theory, methods, and applications. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, New York
- Liu W.K., Jun S. and Zhang Y.F.(1995), Reproducing Kernel Particle methods. Int J Numer Meth Fluids 20, 1081-1106
- Cho S., and Kwak J.(2003), Continuum-based Topology Design Optimization Using Meshless Method. 5th World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Lido di Jesolo, Italy, May 19-23
- NDSL :
- Society of CAD/CAM Engineers : 저널
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기