The Binding Properties of Glycosylated and Non- Glycosylated Tim-3 Molecules on
Background: T cell immunoglobulin and mucin domain containing 3 protein (Tim-3) expressed on terminally differentiated Th1 cells plays a suppressive role in Th1-mediated immune responses. Recently, it has been shown that N-glycosylation affects the binding activity of the Tim-3-Ig fusion protein to its ligand, galectin-9, but the binding properties of non-glycosylated Tim-3 on $CD4^+CD25^+$ T cells has not been fully examined. In this study, we produced recombinant Tim-3-Ig fusion proteins in different cellular sources and its N-glycosylation mutant forms to evaluate their binding activities to $CD4^+CD25^+$ T cells. Methods: We isolated and cloned Tim-3 cDNA from BALB/C mouse splenocytes. Then, we constructed a mammalian expression vector and a prokaryotic expression vector for the Tim-3-Ig fusion protein. Using a site directed mutagenesis method, plasmid vectors for Tim-3-Ig N-glycosylation mutant expression were produced. The recombinant protein was purified by protein A sepharose column chromatography. The binding activity of Tim-3-Ig fusion protein to $CD4^+CD25^+$ T cells was analyzed using flow cytometry. Results: We found that the nonglycosylated Tim-3-Ig fusion proteins expressed in bacteria bound to $CD4^+CD25^+$ T cells similarly to the glycosylated Tim-3-Ig protein produced in CHO cells. Further, three N-glycosylation mutant forms (N53Q, N100Q, N53/100Q) of Tim-3-Ig showed similar binding activities to those of wild type glycosylated Tim-3-Ig. Conclusion: Our results suggest that N-glycosylation of Tim-3 may not affect its binding activity to ligands expressed on $CD4^+CD25^+$ T cells.
- Monney L, Sabatos CA, Gaglia JL, Ryu A, Waldner H, Chernova T, Manning S, Greenfield EA, Coyle AJ, Sobel RA, Freeman GJ, Kuchroo VK: Th1-specific cell surface protein Tim-3 regulates macrophage activation and severity of an autoimmune disease. Nature 415;536-541, 2002
- Sabatos CA, Chakravarti S, Cha E, Schubart A, Sanchez-Fueyo A, Zheng XX, Coyle AJ, Strom TB, Freeman GJ, Kuchroo VK: Interaction of Tim-3 and Tim-3 ligand regulates T helper type 1 responses and induction of peripheral tolerance. Nat Immunol 4;1102-1110, 2003
- Oikawa T, Kamimura Y, Akiba H, Yagita H, Okumura K, Takahashi H, Zeniya M, Tajiri H, Azuma M: Preferential involvement of Tim-3 in the regulation of hepatic CD8+ T cells in murine acute graft-versus-host disease. J Immunol 177;4281-4287, 2006
- Zhu C, Anderson AC, Schubart A, Xiong H, Imitola J, Khoury SJ, Zheng XX, Strom TB, Kuchroo VK: The Tim-3 ligand galectin-9 negatively regulates T helper type 1 immunity. Nat Immunol 6;1245-1252, 2005
- Seki M, Oomizu S, Sakata KM, Sakata A, Arikawa T, Watanabe K, Ito K, Takeshita K, Niki T, Saita N, Nishi N, Yamauchi A, Katoh S, Matsukawa A, Kuchroo V, Hirashima M: Galectin-9 suppresses the generation of Th17, promotes the induction of regulatory T cells, and regulates experimental autoimmune arthritis. Clin Immunol 127:78-88, 2008
- Kuchroo VK, Meyers JH, Umetsu DT, DeKruyff RH: TIM family of genes in immunity and tolerance. Adv Immunol 91;227-249, 2006
- Sanchez-Fueyo A, Tian J, Picarella D, Domenig C, Zheng XX, Sabatos CA, Manlongat N, Bender O, Kamradt T, Kuchroo VK, Gutierrez-Ramos JC, Coyle AJ, Strom TB: Tim-3 inhibits T helper type 1-mediated auto- and alloimmune responses and promotes immunological tolerance. Nat Immunol 4;1093-1101, 2003
- Wiener Z, Kohalmi B, Pocza P, Jeager J, Tolgyesi G, Toth S, Gorbe E, Papp Z, Falus A: TIM-3 is expressed in melanoma cells and is upregulated in TGF-beta stimulated mast cells. J Invest Dermatol 127;906-914, 2007
- Frisancho-Kiss S, Nyland JF, Davis SE, Barrett MA, Gatewood SJ, Njoku DB, Cihakova D, Silbergeld EK, Rose NR, Fairweather D: Cutting edge: T cell Ig mucin-3 reduces inflammatory heart disease by increasing CTLA-4 during innate immunity. J Immunol 176;6411-6415, 2006
- Medzihradszky KF: Characterization of site-specific N-glycosylation. Methods Mol Biol 446:293-316, 2008
- Cao E, Zang X, Ramagopal UA, Mukhopadhaya A, Fedorov A, Fedorov E, Zencheck WD, Lary JW, Cole JL, Deng H, Xiao H, Dilorenzo TP, Allison JP, Nathenson SG, Almo SC: T cell immunoglobulin mucin-3 crystal structure reveals a galectin-9-independent ligand-binding surface. Immunity 26;311-321, 2007
- NDSL :
- DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.4110/in.2009.9.2.58
- PubMed Central : 저널 > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2803304
- Synapse : 저널
- KCI :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기