Validation of a CFD model for hydraulic seals
Optimization of seal geometries can reduce significantly the energetic losses in a hydraulic seal , especially for high head runner turbine. In the optimization process, a reliable prediction of the losses is needed and CFD is often used. This paper presents numerical experiments to determine an adequate CFD model for straight, labyrinth and stepped hydraulic seals used in Francis runners. The computation is performed with a finite volume commercial CFD code with a RANS low Reynolds turbulence model. As numerical computations in small radial clearances of hydraulic seals are not often encountered in the literature, the numerical results are validated with experimental data on straight seals and labyrinth seals. As the validation is satisfactory enough, geometrical optimization of hydraulic seals using CFD will be studied in future works.
- Rhode, D.L., S.H. Ko, and G.L. Morrison, 1994, "Leakage optimization of labyrinth seals using a Navier-Stokes code," Tribology Transactions, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 105-110.
- Rhode, D.L., J.W. Johnson, and D.H. Broussard, 1997, "Flow visualization and leakage measurements of stepped labyrinth seals : Part 1-Annular Groove," Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 119, No. 4, pp. 839-843.
- Rhode, D.L., J.W. Johnson, and D.H. Broussard, 1997, "Flow visualization and leakage measurements of stepped labyrinth seals : Part 2-Sloping Surfaces," Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 119, No. 4, pp. 844-848.
- Lang, J.H., 1964, "Investigation of discharge coefficient for different labyrinth seal," Dominion Engineering Works, 53-1256BT.
- Vu, T., 1976, "Analysis of straight seal tests," Dominion Engineering Works, 1230-7.
- Vu, T., 1978, "Viscous seal : theoretical analysis and computer program," Dominion Engineering Works, 1230-18.
- Vu, T., 1978, "Straight seal analysis and computer program," Dominion Engineering Works, 1230-17.
- Elrod, H.G., 1973, "Some refinements of the theory of the viscous screw pump," ASME Trans. J. Lubric. Technol., Vol. 95, No. 1, pp. 82-93.
- Elrod, H.G. and C.W. Ng, 1967, "A Theory of Turbulent Films and its Application to Bearings," ASME J. Lubr. Technol., Vol. 89, No. 1, pp. 347-362.
- Rhode, D.L. and G.H. Nail, 1992, "Computation of cavity by cavity flow development in generic labyrinth seals," Journal of Tribology, Vol. 114, No., pp. 47-51.
- Asok, S.P., et al., 2007, "Neural network and CFD-based optimization of square cavity and curved cavity static labyrinth seals," Tribology International, Vol. 40, No. 7, pp. 1204-1216.
- Schramm, V., et al., 2004, "Shape optimization of a labyrinth seal applying the simulated annealing method," International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 365-371.
- Morrison, G.L., M.C. Johnson, and G.B. Tatterson, 1991, "3-D laser anemometer measurements in a labyrinth seal," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 113, No. 1, pp. 119-125.
- Chochua, G., W. Shyy, and J. Moore, 2002, "Computational modeling for honeycomb stator gas annular seal," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 45, No. 9, pp. 1849-1963.
- Kaye, J. and E.C. Elgar, 1958, "Model of adiabatic and diabatic fluid flow in annulus with an inner rotating cylinder," Transactions of ASME, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 753-765.
- NDSL :
- DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.5293/IJFMS.2009.2.4.400
- Japan Science and Technology Information Aggregator, Electronic : 저널> 권호 > http://joi.jlc.jst.go.jp/JST.JSTAGE/ijfms/2.400?from=KISTI
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기