Evaluation of Car Seat Using Reliable and Valid Vehicle Seat Discomfort Survey
Subjective evaluation has always been regarded as a branch of social science research. Hence, in scientific and especially engineering points of view, its development is always taken for granted despite the importance of its effects on the design and development decisions. In the past, at least two automotive seat survey questionnaires have been developed with high statistical validity and reliability. Nonetheless, both were not local while subjective perception very much depends on demographic background factors. It is felt that since vehicle seat comfort is an important aspect in a seat design, a local sense should be put into the survey that is used as the subjective tool. The proposed vehicle seat discomfort survey questionnaire was developed in dual languages; English and Malay. Malay language is the national language of Malaysia, where the survey was tested. Beside inputs from literatures, key informant interviews helped in establishing the appropriate terms used as survey items. Three experimental runs on two different seats by 22 paid subjects showed that the developed questionnaire is reliable and valid. Furthermore, criterion validity analysis on the survey and previously developed survey showed significant correlation at 0.01 significance level.
- Annett, J. (2002), Subjective rating scales: science or art? Ergonomics, 45(14), 966-987
- Drury, C. G. and Coury, B. G. (1982). A methodology for chair evaluation, Applied Ergonomics, 13(3), 195-202
- Khalid, H. M., Dangelmaier, M., and Lim, T. Y. (2007). The CATER approach to vehicle mass customization, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, 1273-1276
- Kolich, M. (2000), Ergonomic modeling and evaluation of automobile seat comfort, PhD thesis University of Windsor, Canada
- Reed, M. P. and Massie, D. L. (1996), Distribution of automobile trip durations for studies of seat comfort, SAE International, 960476
- Deros, B. M., Daruis, D. D. I., and Nor, M. J. M. (2008), Fundamental sitting anthropometric and differences among Malaysian Malays, Chinese and Indians, In Advanced Manufacturing Research Group'08 Seminar 1, Seremban, Malaysia
- Mehta, C. R. and Tewari, V. K. (2000), Seating discomfort for tractor operators-a critical review, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 25, 661-674
- Shen, W. and Parsons, K. C. (1997), Validity and reliability of rating scales for seated discomfort, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 20, 441-461
- Solaz, J. S., Page, A., Porcar, R., Mateo, B., Dura, J. V., Gomez, J. A., Prat, J., and Vera, P. (2006), Functional data analysis as a tool to find discomfort evolution patterns in passenger car seats, SAE International, 2006-01-1296
- Smith, D. R., Andrews, D. M., and Wawrow, P. T. (2006), Development and evaluation of the Automotive Seating Discomfort Questionnaire (ASDQ), International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 36, 141-149
- Jiao, J., Xu, Q. L., and Helander, M. G. (2007). Analytical modeling and evaluation of customer Citarasa in vehicle design, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, 1277-1281
- Ng, D., Cassar, T., and Gross, C. M. (1995), Evaluation of an intelligent seat system, Applied Ergonomics, 26(2), 109-116
- Helander, M. G. and Zhang, L. (1997), Field studies of comfort and discomfort in sitting, Ergonomics, 40 (9), 895-915
- Kolich, M. and White, P. (2004), Reliability and validity of a long term survey for automobile seat comfort, International Journal of Vehicle Design, 34(2), 158-167
- Nagamachi, M. (1995), Kansei engineering: a new ergonomic consumer-oriented technology for product development, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 15, 3-11
- Field, A. P. (2005), Discovering statistics using SPSS, London: Sage
- Helo, P. T., Kyllonen, S. J., and Jiao, R. J. (2007), Citarasa driven vehicle configurator, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, 1302-1306
- Lim, T. Y., Khalid, H. M., and Ni, C. (2007), Citarasa based vehicle planning system, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, 1297-1301
- Tada, M., Sekiguchi, S., Nisimatsu, T., and Toba, E. (1998), Measurement and evaluation of sitting comfort of automotive seat. In IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement, Minnesota, USA
- Porter, J. M. and Sharp, J. C. (1984), The influence of age, sex and musculo-skeletal health upon the subjective evaluation of vehicle seating, Contemporary Ergonomics, London: Taylor and Francis
- Brigham, F. R. (1975), Some quantitative considerations in questionnaire design and analysis, Applied Ergonomics, 6(2), 90-96
- Drury, C. G. and Francher, M. (1985), Evaluation of a forward-sloping chair, Applied Ergonomics, 16(1), 41-47
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기