남자 임상간호사의 경험에 관한 내용분석
Content Analysis of Male Hospital Nurses' Experiences
Purpose: This study was conducted to identify job experiences of male hospital nurses. Methods: Data were collected from 20 male nurses working at general hospitals, through semi-structured in-depth interviews. The interviews were recorded and subsequently transcribed verbatim. Using content analysis, data were coded and categorized. Results: The analyzed domains were motivations for choosing nursing, occupational experiences (3 subdomains), and attitudes toward the future. A total of 85 significant statements were selected from the data and classified into 32 categories. The nurses' motivations for choosing nursing were advantages of employment, their aptitude, scarcity value of men, professionalism and job security, good promotion, stable income, and family influence. In occupational experiences, they were assigned to special fields and dissatisfied with vertical relationship, promotion system, their salary, and gaps in military service time; they had difficulties in adapting to female-dominated groups and encountered gender role stereotype and preconception; they were satisfied with their distinguished performance, but had damaged self-esteem, and were stressed and disappointed in their work. In their attitudes toward the future, they considered their career changes, but tried to make professional and personal advancement. Conclusion: These findings have implications for recruiting and retaining male nurses in clinical settings.
- Baker, C. R. (2001). Role strain in male diploma nursing students: a descriptive quantitative study. Journal of Nursing Education, 40(8), 378-380.
- Barkley, T. W., & Kohler, P. A. (1992). Is nursing's image a deterrent to recruiting men into the profession? Male high school students respond. Nursing Forum, 27(2), 9-14.
- Boughn, S. (2001). Why women and men choose nursing. Nursing and Health Care Perspectives, 22(1), 14-19.
- Brown, B., Nolan, P., & Crawford, P. (2000). Men in nursing: ambivalence in care, gender and masculinity. International History of Nursing Journal, 5(3), 4-13.
- Choi, S. J. (2002). Male students' lived experience in the femaledominant nursing college. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Cyr, J. P. (1992). Males in nursing. Nursing Management, 23(7), 54-55.
- Dassen, T., Nijhuis, F., & Philipsen, H. (1990). Male and female nurses in intensive care wards in the Netherlands. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 15, 387-393.
- Downe-Wamboldt, B. (1992). Content analysis: Method, applications, and issues. Health Care for Women International, 13, 313-321.
- Egeland, J. W., & Brown, J. S. (1989). Men in nursing: The fields of employment, preferred fields of practice, and role of strain. Health Service Research, 24(5), 693-707.
- Evans, J. (1997). Men in nursing: exploring the male experience. Nursing Inquiry, 4, 142-145.
- Han, S. J. (2007). Effects of self-concept on clinical competency in hospital nurses. Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 19(2), 274-282.
- Kerssens, J. J., Bensing, J. M., & Abdela, M. G. (1997). Patient preference for genders of health professionals. Social Science and Medicine, 44(10), 1531-1540.
- Kim, M. Y. (2009). An exploratory study of masculinity in nursing. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 15(2), 37-46.
- Kim, S. W., & Choi, T. J. (2007). Research methodology in education. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Korean Nurses Association (2003). The status of male nurses. The Korean Nurse, 42(5), 10-13.
- Korean Nurses Association (2009). KNA Notice. Retrieved July 20, 2009, from http://www.koreanurse.or.kr/
- Korean Nurses Association Korean Research Institute for Nursing Policy (2007). Yearbook of nursing statistics. Seoul: Korean Nurses Association.
- Lee, S. H. (2008). A study on the relationship between professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satisfaction in clinical nurses. Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 20(1), 10-20.
- Lee, S. Y. (2004). Study on job satisfaction and intentions of turnover of male nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Lodge, N., Mallett, J., Blake, P., & Fryatt, I. (1997). A study to ascertain gynecological patients' perceived levels of embarrassment with physical and psychological care given by female and male nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 25(5), 893-907.
- Lou, J., Yu, H., Hsu, H., & Dai, H. (2007). A study role stress, organizational commitment and intension to quit among male nurses in southern Taiwan. Journal of Nursing Research, 15(1), 43-52.
- Mackintosh, C. (1997). A historical study of men in nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 26(2), 232-236.
- McMillian, J, Morgan, S., & Ament, P. A. (2006). Acceptance of male registered nurses by female registered nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 38, 100-106.
- Meadus, R. J., & Twomey, J. C. (2007). Men in nursing: making the right choice. Canadian Nurse, 103(2), 13-16.
- Miller, R. J. (2004). Men in nursing: A grounded theory study. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Idaho, Moscow, USA.
- Park, H. J., Chung, B. Y., Kim, O. H., Kim, Y. K., An, H. J., Lee, Y. N., Byun, H. S., Jeong, K. S., & Kim, J. Y. (2008) Experience on emotional support of hospital nurses. Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 20(6), 852-865.
- Son, H. M., Koh, M. H., Kim, C. M., Moon, J. H., & Lee, M. S. (2003). The male nurses' experiences of adaptation in clinical setting. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(1), 17-25.
- Wilson, G. (2005). The experience of males entering nursing: A phenomenological analysis of professionally enhancing factor and barriers. Contemporary Nurse, 20(2), 221-233.
- Yang, C., Gau, M., Shiau, S., Hu, W., & Shih, F. (2004). Professional career development for male nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 48(6), 642-650.
- Yi, M., Kang, H. S., Kim, D. O., Kim, W. O., Kim, J., & Lee, B. S. (2009). Experiences of interpersonal relationships among head nurses in general hospital settings. Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 21(3), 324-338.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (8)
- Kim, Yeong-Kyeong ; Hwang, Sun-Young ; Shin, Su-Jin 2011. "Analysis of Qualitative Research Published by Korean Journal of Adult Nursing (1989-2011)" 성인간호학회지 = Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 23(6): 633~641
- Cho, Mi-Kyoung ; Kim, Chul-Gyu ; Mo, Hyeong-Jung 2015. "Influence of Interpersonal relation and Job Stress on Nursing Performance of Male Nurses" 근관절건강학회지 = Journal of muscle and joint health, 22(3): 195~204
- Lim, Jung Soo ; Lee, Wan Jeong 2015. "Children's Understanding on the Roles of Male Childcare Teachers and Children's Gender Role Concepts" 한국보육지원학회지 = Journal of Korean Child Care and Education, 11(1): 43~61
- Yeom, Eun-Yi ; Seo, Kum-Sook 2016. "The Influence of Gender Role Conflict, Nursing Professionalism on Turnover Intention among Male Nurses" 한국콘텐츠학회논문지 = The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 16(12): 794~804
- Seong, Ji-Suk ; Yeom, Eun-Yi 2016. "The Types and Characteristics of the Male Nurses Perceived by Female Nurses : An Application of Q- Methodology" 한국산학기술학회논문지 = Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(1): 572~584
- Kim, Ji Hye ; Park, Kwang Ok ; Kim, Jong Kyung ; Yun, Ha Jeong ; Lee, Jin hee ; Cho, Eun Kyung ; Kim, Soon Hee ; Kim, Yeon Hee 2016. "An Adaptation Experience of Male Nurses at General Nursing Unit" 간호행정학회지 = Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, 22(5): 496~506
- Shin, Ja Hyun ; Seo, Myoung Hee ; Lee, Myung In 2016. "Nursing Jobs and Gender in our age of convergence: Research on Male Nurses" 디지털융복합연구 = Journal of digital convergence, 14(3): 287~297
- Chae, Youngran ; Yu, SuJeong ; Lee, Eun Ja ; Kang, KyungJa ; Park, Myung Sook ; Yu, Mi 2016. "Validity and Reliability of the Korean version of the Moral Distress Scale-Revised for Korean Hospital Nurses" 한국간호교육학회지 = The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 22(2): 228~239
저자의 다른 논문
- 2002 "부산시 일부지역 중년남녀의 암 조기검진 수검 실태 조사" 保健敎育健康增進學會誌 = Korean journal of health education and promotion 19 (3): 135~152
- 2003 "전화상담이 치매노인 간호제공자의 소진경험, 우울, 삶의 질, 지각된 건강상태에 미치는 영향" 성인간호학회지 = Korean Journal of Adult Nursing 15 (3): 452~462
- 2003 "산업장 남성근로자의 금연변화단계별 변화과정, 자기효능감과 의사결정 균형에 관한 연구" 성인간호학회지 = Korean Journal of Adult Nursing 15 (3): 483~492
- 2003 "조혈모세포 이식 생존자와 화학요법 생존자의 삶의 질에 관한 연구" 재활간호학회지 = The Korean journal of rehabilitation nursing 6 (2): 127~136
- 2004 "중등교사의 주의력 결핍.과잉 행동장애에 대한 지식, 대처 및 교육적 중재" 韓國學校保健學會誌 = The Journal of the Korean society of school health 17 (2): 35~46
- 2005 "도시와 농촌 중년여성의 갱년기 증상, 폐경지식 및 폐경관리 비교 연구" 여성건강간호학회지 = Korean journal of women health nursing 11 (1): 27~37
- 2006 "성전환증 환자에 대한 간호사의 인식 유형: Q-방법론적 접근" 대한간호학회지= Journal of Korean academy of nursing 36 (7): 1242~1252
- 2007 "인지행동 스트레스관리 프로그램이 제2형 당뇨병 환자의 자가간호 이행과 당대사에 미치는 효과" 성인간호학회지 = Korean Journal of Adult Nursing 19 (5): 1~11
- 2007 "폭력에 대한 응급실 간호사의 반응 유형: Q-방법론적 접근" 대한간호학회지= Journal of Korean academy of nursing 37 (5): 762~771
- 2011 "효과적인 모유수유 개념 분석" KJWHN : Korean journal of women health nursing 17 (4): 317~327
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기