Factors Related to Performance of Health Practices Among Asian Adolescents in the United States
Purpose This study examined factors related to positive health practices (PHP) among Asian adolescents. More specifically, it tested theoretical relationships postulated between PHP and social support, optimism, self-esteem, loneliness, and acculturation in this population. Method A correlational research design was used and a convenience sample of 151 Asian adolescents was obtained. Participants completed a demographic sheet and six study instruments. Results Significant positive relationships were found between reported performance of PHP and social support, optimism, self-esteem, and acculturation. A significant inverse relationship was found between loneliness and PHP. Conclusions Study findings extend existing knowledge and contribute to a more comprehensive knowledge base regarding health practices among Asian adolescents. Having this knowledge base provides practitioners with a better understanding of the factors related to health practices in Asian adolescents and assists them in developing culturally sensitive interventions aimed at promoting PHP in this population.
- Afable-Munsuz, A., & Brindis, C. D. (2006). Acculturation and sexual reproductive health of Latino youth in the United States: A Literature review. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 38, 208-219.
- Asian American Health Initiative, Together To Build a Healthy America. (n.d). Health disparities among Asian Americans. Retrieved April 28, 2010, from http://www.aahiinfo.org/english/asianAmericans.php
- Ayres, C. (2008). Mediators of the relationship between social support and positive health practices among middle adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Healthcare, 22, 94-102.
- Ayres,C. (2010). Social support, acculturation and optimism: The role they play in understanding positive health practices in Asian adolescents. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Bandura, A. (1986). Social foundations of thought and action. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Barnes, J. S., & Bennett, C. E. (2002). Census 2000 brief: The Asian population 2000. Washington, DC: I. S. Census Bureau.
- Berry, J.W. (1980). Acculturation as varieties of adaptation. In A. M. Padilla (Ed.), Acculturation theory, models, and some new findings AAAS Selected Symposium, series 39 (pp. 9-25). Boulder, CO:Westview.
- Bond, M. L., Jones, M. E., Cason, C., Campbell, P., & Hall, J. (2002). Acculturation effects on health promoting lifestyle behaviors among Hispanic origin pregnant women. Journal of Multicultural Nursing & Health, 8, 61-68.
- Brage-Hudson,D. E., Elek, S. M.,& Campbell-Grossman,C. (2000). Depression, self-esteem, loneliness, and social support among adolescent mothers participating in the new parents project. Adolescence, 35, 445-453.
- Brandt, P. A., & Weinert, C. (1981). The PRQ: A social support measure. Nursing Research, 30, 277-280.
- Brown,N., Muhlenkamp,A., Fox, L., & Osborn, M. (1983). The relationship among health beliefs, health values, and health promotion activity. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 5, 155-163.
- Chassin, L., Presson, C., Rose, J., & Sherman, S. J. (1996). The natural history of cigarette smoking from adolescence to adulthood: Demographic predictors of continuity and change. Health Psychology, 15, 478-484.
- Chen, K., & Kandel,D.B. (1995).The natural history of drug use from adolescence to the mid-thirties in a general population sample. Journal of Public Health, 85, 41-47.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Cohen, R. Y., Brownell, K. D., & Felix, M. R. (1990). Age and sex differences in health habits and beliefs of schoolchildren. Health Psychology, 9, 208-224.
- Cohen, S. (1988). Psychosocial models of the role of social support in the etiology of physical disease. Health Psychology, 7, 269-297.
- Goodman, E., Knight, J. R.,& DuRant, R. H. (1997). Use of the Life Optimism Test among adolescents in a clinical setting: A report of reliability testing. Journal of Adolescent Health, 21, 218-220.
- Holden, E.W., & Nitz, K. (1995). Epidemiology of adolescent health disorders. In J.Wallander & L. Siegel (Eds.), Adolescent health problems: Behavioral perspectives (pp. 7-21). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Katchadourian, H. (1990). Sexuality. In Feldman, S. S., and Elliott, G. R. (Eds.), At the threshold: The developing adolescent. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Langlie, J. K. (1977). Social networks, health beliefs, and preventive health behavior. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 18, 244-260.
- Lee, J. (2007). Role of acculturation on oral contraceptive use among Korean immigrant women (Doctoral dissertation, State University of New York at Buffalo, 2007). Dissertation Abstracts International, 68, 05.
- Mahat, G., & Scoloveno, M. (2001). Factors influencing health practices of Nepalese adolescent girls. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 15, 251-255.
- Mahat,G., Scoloveno,M. A., & Whalen,C. (2002). Positive health practices of urban minority adolescents. Journal of School Nursing, 18, 244-260.
- Mahon, N. E., & Yarcheski, A. (1992). Alternate explanations of loneliness in adolescents: A replication and extension study. Nursing Research, 41, 151-156.
- Mahon, N. E., & Yarcheski, A. (2002). Alternative theories of happiness in early adolescents. Clinical Nursing Research, 11, 306-323.
- Mahon, N. E., Yarcheski, A., & Yarcheski, T. J. (2001). Mental health variables and positive health practices in early adolescents. Psychological Reports, 88, 1023-1030.
- Mahon,N. E.,Yarcheski, A., & Yarcheski,T. J. (2002). Psychometric evaluation of the Personal Lifestyle Questionnaire for adolescents. Research in Nursing and Health, 25, 68-75.
- Mahon, N. E., Yarcheski, A., & Yarcheski, T. J. (2004). Social support and positive health practices in early adolescents: A test of mediating variables. Clinical Nursing Research, 13, 216-236.
- McNicholas, S. L. (2001). An investigation of the mediators of the relationship between social support and positive health practices in middle-aged adults. (Doctoral Dissertation, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 2001). Dissertation Abstracts International, 62, 1322.
- Peplau, L. A., & Perlman,D. (1982). Perspectives on loneliness. In L. A. Peplau & D. Perlman (Eds.), Loneliness: A sourcebook of current theory, research and therapy (pp. 1-19). New York: John Wiley.
- Polit, D. F. (2010). Statistics and data analysis for nursing research (2nd ed). New Jersey: Pearson Education.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University.
- Russell, D., Peplau, L. A., & Cutrona, C. (1980). The Revised UCLA Loneliness Scale: Concurrent and discriminant validity evidence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39, 472-480.
- Scheier, M. F., & Carver, C. S. (1987). Dispositional optimism and physical well-being: The influence of generalized outcome expectancies on health. Journal of Personality, 55, 169-210.
- Scheier,M. F., & Carver, C. S. (1992). Effects of optimism on psychological and physical well-being: Theoretical overview and empirical update. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 16, 201-228.
- Sisenwein, R. J. (1964). Loneliness and the individual as viewed by himself and others. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York.
- Sohn, L., & Harada, N. D. (2005). Knowledge and use of preventive health practices among Korean women in Los Angeles County. Preventive Medicine, 41, 167-178.
- Suinn, R. M., Ahuna, C., & Khoo, G. (1992). The Suinn-Lew Asian Self-Identity Acculturation Scale: Concurrent and factorial validation. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 52, 1041-1046.
- Suinn, R. M., Khoo, G., & Ahuna, C. (1995). The Suinn-Lew Asian Self-Identity Scale: Cross-cultural information. Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, 23, 139-148.
- Terrill, D. R., Friedman, D. G., Gottschalk, L. A., & Haaga, D. A. (2002). Construct validity of the Life Orientation Test. Journal of Personality Assessment, 79, 550-563.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. (2001). Healthy people 2010. Retrieved February 11, 2010, from http://www.cdc.gov
- Weinert, C. (1987). A social support measure: PRQ85. Nursing Research, 36, 273-277.
- Weiss, R. S. (1974). The provisions of social relationships. In Z. Rubin (Ed.), Doing unto others (pp. 17-26). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Williams, P.G., Holmbeck,G.N., & Greenley, R.N. (2002). Adolescent health psychology. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 3, 828-842.
- Yarcheski, A., & Mahon, N. E. (1989). A causal model of positive health practices: The relationship between approach and replication. Nursing Research, 38, 88-93.
- Yarcheski, A., Mahon,N. E., & Yarcheski,T. J. (1997). Alternate models of positive health practices in adolescents. Nursing Research, 46, 85-92.
- Yarcheski, A., Mahon, N. E., & Yarcheski, T. J. (2001). Social support and well-being in early adolescents:The role of mediating variables. Clinical Nursing Research, 10, 163-181.
- Yarcheski,T. J., Mahon,N. E., & Yarcheski,A. (2003). Social support, self-esteem, and positive health practices of early adolescents. Psychological Reports, 92, 99-103.
- Yarcheski, T. J., Mahon, N. E., & Yarcheski, A. (2004). Depression, optimism, and positive health practices in young adolescents. Psychological Reports, 95, 932-934.
- Millstein, S. G., Nightingale, E. D., Peterson, A. C., Mortimer,A. M., & Hamburg,D.A. (1993). Promoting the healthy development of adolescents. Journal of the American Medical Association, 269, 1413-1415.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기