Comparative Proteomic Analysis of Human Amniotic Fluid Supernatants with Down Syndrome Using Mass Spectrometry
Down syndrome (DS) is an abnormality of the 21st chromosome that commonly occurs in children born to older women. Thus, amniotic fluid (AF) is usually collected from such women for prenatal diagnosis. This study analyzed human AF supernatants (AFS) using a mass spectrometric (MS) approach to search for candidate biomarkers of a DS pregnancy. The AFS were collected from older pregnant women at weeks 16-18 of their gestation by amniocentesis for cytogenetic analysis. The AFS from the pregnancies carrying DS (n=4) or chromosomally normal (n=6) fetuses, as revealed by the cytogenetic analysis, were then subjected to global protein profiling based on liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-ESI-MS/MS). Affinity chromatography was also applied prior to the LC-ESI-MS/MS to minimize the masking effect of highly abundant albumin and immunoglobulin and thereby increase the diversity of the identified proteins. As a result, at least 30 new AFS proteins were identified and 44 AFS proteins were found to be differentially expressed between the DS and normal cases, where 6 of the proteins were unique to the DS cases and 11 were unique to the chromosomally normal cases. In addition, in the DS cases, 19 AFS proteins were downregulated and 8 were upregulated to varying degrees. A Western blot analysis confirmed the LC-ESI-MS/MS data, indicating that the combined detection of apolipoprotein A-II (apoA-II) and alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) could be a potential tool for diagnosing DS cases.
- Aebersold, R. and M. Mann. 2003. Mass spectrometry-based proteomics. Nature 422: 198-207.
- Antonarakis, S. E., R. Lyle, E. T. Dermitzakis, A. Reymond, and S. Deutsch. 2004. Chromosome 21 and Down syndrome: From genomics to pathophysiology. Nat. Rev. Genet. 5: 725-738.
- Benn, P. A., J. Ying, T. Beazoglou, and J. F. Egan. 2001. Estimates for the sensitivity and false-positive rates for second trimester serum screening for Down syndrome and trisomy 18 with adjustment for cross-identification and double-positive results. Prenat. Diagn. 21: 46-51.
- Bobrow, M., T. Barby, A. Hajianpour, D. Maxwell, and S. C. Yau. 1992. Fertility in a male with trisomy 21. J. Med. Genet. 29: 141.
- Buhimschi, C. S., V. Bhandari, B. D. Hamar, M. O. Bahtiyar, G. Zhao, A. K. Sfakianaki, et al. 2007. Proteomic profiling of the amniotic fluid to detect inflammation, infection, and neonatal sepsis. PLoS Med. 4: e18.
- Buhimschi, I. A., E. Zambrano, C. M. Pettker, M. O. Bahtiyar, M. Paidas, V. A. Rosenberg, S. Thung, C. M. Salafia, and C. S. Buhimschi. 2008. Using proteomic analysis of the human amniotic fluid to identify histologic chorioamnionitis. Obstet. Gynecol. 111: 403-412.
- Christiansen, M., I. Jaliashvili, M. T. Overgaard, C. Ensinger, P. Obrist, and C. Oxvig. 2000. Quantification and characterization of pregnancy-associated complexes of angiotensinogen and the proform of eosinophil major basic protein in serum and amniotic fluid. Clin. Chem. 46: 1099-1105.
- Fountoulakis, M. 2001. Proteomics: Current technologies and applications in neurological disorders and toxicology. Amino Acids 21: 363-381.
- Freidl, M., T. Gulesserian, G. Lubec, M. Fountoulakis, and B. Lubec. 2001. Deterioration of the transcriptional, splicing and elongation machinery in brain of fetal Down syndrome. J. Neural Transm. Suppl. 61: 47-57.
- Friberg, H. and T. Wieloch. 2002. Mitochondrial permeability transition in acute neurodegeneration. Biochimie 84: 241-250.
- Gupta, M. K., J. M. Jang, J. W. Jung, S. J. Uhm, K. P. Kim, and H. T. Lee. 2009. Proteomic analysis of parthenogenetic and in vitro fertilized porcine embryos. Proteomics 9: 2846-2860.
- Hassell, J. R., J. H. Kimura, and V. C. Hascall. 1986. Proteoglycan core protein families. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 55: 539-567.
- Hook, E. B. and A. Lindsjo. 1978. Down syndrome in live births by single year maternal age interval in a Swedish study: Comparison with results from a New York State study. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 30: 19-27.
- Hsiang, Y. H., G. D. Berkovitz, G. L. Bland, C. J. Migeon, and A. C. Warren. 1987. Gonadal function in patients with Down syndrome. Am. J. Med. Genet. 27: 449-458.
- Huether, C. A., J. Ivanovich, B. S. Goodwin, E. L. Krivchenia, V. S. Hertzberg, L. D. Edmonds, D. S. May, and J. H. Priest. 1998. Maternal age specific risk rate estimates for Down syndrome among live births in whites and other races from Ohio and metropolitan Atlanta, 1970-1989. J. Med. Genet. 35: 482-490.
- Kubota, T. and H. Takeuchi. 1998. Evaluation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 as a diagnostic tool for rupture of the membranes. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. Res. 24: 411-417.
- Langford, K., W. Blum, K. Nicolaides, J. Jones, A. McGregor, and J. Miell. 1994. The pathophysiology of the insulin-like growth factor axis in fetal growth failure: A basis for programming by undernutrition? Eur. J. Clin. Invest. 24: 851-856.
- Lee, S. J., K. H. Kim, J. S. Park, J. W. Jung, Y. H. Kim, S. K. Kim, et al. 2007. Comparative analysis of cell surface proteins in chronic and acute leukemia cell lines. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 357: 620-626.
- Liberatori, S., L. Bini, C. De Felice, B. Magi, B. Marzocchi, R. Raggiaschi, et al. 1997. A two-dimensional protein map of human amniotic fluid at 17 weeks' gestation. Electrophoresis 18: 2816-2822.
- Lubec, G., K. Krapfenbauer, and M. Fountoulakis. 2003. Proteomics in brain research: Potentials and limitations. Prog. Neurobiol. 69: 193-211.
- Mauk, M. R., F. I. Rosell, B. Lelj-Garolla, G. R. Moore, and A. G. Mauk. 2005. Metal ion binding to human hemopexin. Biochemistry 44: 1864-1871.
- Mazurkiewicz, J. C., G. F. Watts, F. G. Warburton, B. M. Slavin, C. Lowy, and E. Koukkou. 1994. Serum lipids, lipoproteins and apolipoproteins in pregnant non-diabetic patients. J. Clin. Pathol. 47: 728-731.
- Michaels, J. E., S. Dasari, L. Pereira, A. P. Reddy, J. A. Lapidus, X. Lu, et al. 2007. Comprehensive proteomic analysis of the human amniotic fluid proteome: Gestational age-dependent changes. J. Proteome Res. 6: 1277-1285.
- Miell, J. P., K. S. Langford, J. S. Jones, P. Noble, M. Westwood, A. White, and K. H. Nicolaides. 1997. The maternal insulin-like growth factor (IGF) and IGF-binding protein response to trisomic pregnancy during the first trimester: A possible diagnostic tool for trisomy 18 pregnancies. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 82: 287-292.
- Nadesalingam, J., A. L. Bernal, A. W. Dodds, A. C. Willis, D. J. Mahoney, A. J. Day, K. B. Reid, and N. Palaniyar. 2003. Identification and characterization of a novel interaction between pulmonary surfactant protein D and decorin. J. Biol. Chem. 278: 25678-25687.
- Overgaard, M. T., E. S. Sorensen, D. Stachowiak, H. B. Boldt, L. Kristensen, L. Sottrup-Jensen, and C. Oxvig. 2003. Complex of pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A and the proform of eosinophil major basic protein. Disulfide structure and carbohydrate attachment. J. Biol. Chem. 278: 2106-2117.
- Pradhan, M., A. Dalal, F. Khan, and S. Agrawal. 2006. Fertility in men with Down syndrome: A case report. Fertil. Steril. 86: 1761-c1763.
- Pulkkinen, L., T. Alitalo, T. Krusius, and L. Peltonen. 1992. Expression of decorin in human tissues and cell lines and defined chromosomal assignment of the gene locus (DCN). Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 60: 107-111.
- Qian, W. J., T. Liu, M. E. Monroe, E. F. Strittmatter, J. M. Jacobs, L. J. Kangas, K. Petritis, D. G. Camp 2nd, and R. D. Smith. 2005. Probability-based evaluation of peptide and protein identifications from tandem mass spectrometry and SEQUEST analysis: The human proteome. J. Proteome Res. 4: 53-62.
- Queloz, P. A., D. Crettaz, L. Thadikkaran, V. Sapin, D. Gallot, J. Jani, et al. 2007. Proteomic analyses of amniotic fluid: Potential applications in health and diseases. J. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 850: 336-342.
- Roizen, N. J. and D. Patterson. 2003. Down's syndrome. Lancet 361: 1281-1289.
- Rutanen, E. M., H. Bohn, and M. Seppala. 1982. Radioimmunoassay of placental protein 12: Levels in amniotic fluid, cord blood, and serum of healthy adults, pregnant women, and patients with trophoblastic disease. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 144: 460-463.
- Schonherr, E., M. Broszat, E. Brandan, P. Bruckner, and H. Kresse. 1998. Decorin core protein fragment Leu155-Val260 interacts with TGF-beta but does not compete for decorin binding to type I collagen. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 355: 241-248.
- Sheridan, R., J. Llerena Jr., S. Matkins, P. Debenham, A. Cawood, and M. Bobrow. 1989. Fertility in a male with trisomy 21. J. Med. Genet. 26: 294-298.
- Smith, A. and W. T. Morgan. 1981. Hemopexin-mediated transport of heme into isolated rat hepatocytes. J. Biol. Chem. 256: 10902-10909.
- Takahashi, N., Y. Takahashi, and F. W. Putnam. 1985. Complete amino acid sequence of human hemopexin, the heme-binding protein of serum. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 82: 73-77.
- Thadikkaran, L., D. Crettaz, M. A. Siegenthaler, D. Gallot, V. Sapin, R. V. Iozzo, P. A. Queloz, P. Schneider, and J. D. Tissot. 2005. The role of proteomics in the assessment of premature rupture of fetal membranes. Clin. Chim. Acta 360: 27-36.
- Tsangaris, G. T., A. Kolialexi, P. M. Karamessinis, A. K. Anagnostopoulos, A. Antsaklis, M. Fountoulakis, and A. Mavrou. 2006. The normal human amniotic fluid supernatant proteome. In Vivo 20: 479-490.
- Tsangaris, G. T., P. Karamessinis, A. Kolialexi, S. D. Garbis, A. Antsaklis, A. Mavrou, and M. Fountoulakis. 2006. Proteomic analysis of amniotic fluid in pregnancies with Down syndrome. Proteomics 6: 4410-4419.
- Vuadens, F., C. Benay, D. Crettaz, D. Gallot, V. Sapin, P. Schneider, et al. 2003. Identification of biologic markers of the premature rupture of fetal membranes: Proteomic approach. Proteomics 3: 1521-1525.
- Wald, N. J., H. S. Cuckle, J. W. Densem, K. Nanchahal, P. Royston, T. Chard, et al. 1988. Maternal serum screening for Down's syndrome in early pregnancy. Br. Med. J. 297: 883-887.
- Wang, H. S., L. A. Perry, J. Kanisius, R. K. Iles, J. M. Holly, and T. Chard. 1991. Purification and assay of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-1: Measurement of circulating levels throughout pregnancy. J. Endocrinol. 128: 161-168.
- Xaus, J., M. Comalada, M. Cardo, A. F. Valledor, and A. Celada. 2001. Decorin inhibits macrophage colony-stimulating factor proliferation of macrophages and enhances cell survival through induction of p27(Kip1) and p21(Waf1). Blood 98: 2124-2133.
- Zuhlke, C., U. Thies, I. Braulke, A. Reis, and C. Schirren. 1994. Down syndrome and male fertility: PCR-derived fingerprinting, serological and andrological investigations. Clin. Genet. 46: 324-326.
- Ahn, Y. H., E. S. Ji, J. Y. Lee, K. Cho, and J. S. Yoo. 2007. Coupling of TiO(2)-mediated enrichment and on-bead guanidinoethanethiol labeling for effective phosphopeptide analysis by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21: 3987-3994.
- Hassan, M. I., V. Kumar, T. P. Singh, and S. Yadav. 2008. Proteomic analysis of human amniotic fluid from Rh(-) pregnancy. Prenat. Diagn. 28: 102-108.
- Michel, P. E., D. Crettaz, P. Morier, M. Heller, D. Gallot, J. D. Tissot, F. Reymond, and J. S. Rossier. 2006. Proteome analysis of human plasma and amniotic fluid by Off-Gel isoelectric focusing followed by nano-LC-MS/MS. Electrophoresis 27: 1169-1181.
- Nilsson, S., M. Ramstrom, M. Palmblad, O. Axelsson, and J. Bergquist. 2004. Explorative study of the protein composition of amniotic fluid by liquid chromatography electrospray ionization Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry. J. Proteome Res. 3: 884-889.
- Park, S. J., W. G. Yoon, J. S. Song, H. S. Jung, C. J. Kim, S. Y. Oh, et al. 2006. Proteome analysis of human amnion and amniotic fluid by two-dimensional electrophoresis and matrixassisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Proteomics 6: 349-363.
- Uhm, S. J., M. K. Gupta, J. H. Yang, S. H. Lee, and H. T. Lee. 2007. Selenium improves the developmental ability and reduces the apoptosis in porcine parthenotes. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 74: 1386-1394.
- Vascotto, C., A. M. Salzano, C. D'Ambrosio, A. Fruscalzo, D. Marchesoni, C. di Loreto, A. Scaloni, G. Tell, and F. Quadrifoglio. 2007. Oxidized transthyretin in amniotic fluid as an early marker of preeclampsia. J. Proteome Res. 6: 160-170.
- Zolotarjova, N., J. Martosella, G. Nicol, J. Bailey, B. E. Boyes, and W. C. Barrett. 2005. Differences among techniques for high-abundant protein depletion. Proteomics 5: 3304-3313.
- NDSL :
- 한국미생물.생명공학회 : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기