Korean Red Ginseng Protects Oxidative Injury Caused by Lead Poisoning
Lead (Pb) is a metal that is generally considered to be toxic to the cardiovascular system. Pb-exposed animals display the evidence of increased oxidative stress and hypertension. The current study was designed to examine whether Korean red ginseng (KRG) has protective effects against Pb-induced hypertension and oxidative stress in Pb-exposed rats. Male Sprague-Dawley rats were randomly assigned to Pb exposure or control groups. KRG was administered in drinking water at a concentration of 100 mg/kg/day; the control group received plain drinking water. Animals in the Pb-exposed groups were provided with drinking water containing 100 ppm Pb acetate for 12 weeks. Blood pressure, plasma glutathione, blood Pb concentration, and hematologic data, such as red blood cell quantity, were determined. Pb poisoning was assessed by measuring the blood Pb concentration. Pb exposure (100 ppm) for 12 weeks resulted in a marked rise in systolic blood pressure and blood Pb concentration, as well as a significant reduction in plasma glutathione levels and red blood cell quantity. Other measurements, such as heart rate, body weight, and white blood cell quantity, were unchanged. Treatment with KRG significantly lowered blood pressure, raised plasma glutathione and increased red blood cell numbers in Pb-exposed animals; it also had no effect on heart rate, body weight, or white blood cell quantity. However, the elevated blood Pb concentration was not reduced by treatment with KRG (100 mg/kg). Taken together, these data indicate that treatment with KRG in Pb-exposed animals can reduce oxidative stress and lower blood pressure, suggesting that KRG might be protective against Pb-exposed hypertension and oxidative stress.
- Harlan WR. The relationship of blood lead levels to blood pressure in the U.S. population. Environ Health Perspect 1988;78:9-13.
- Sharp DS, Becker CE, Smith AH. Chronic low-level lead exposure. Its role in the pathogenesis of hypertension. Med Toxicol 1987;2:210-232.
- Sharp DS, Osterloh J, Becker CE, Bernard B, Smith AH, Fisher JM, Syme SL, Holman BL, Johnston T. Blood pressure and blood lead concentration in bus drivers. Environ Health Perspect 1988;78:131-137.
- Vaziri ND, Liang K, Ding Y. Increased nitric oxide inactivation by reactive oxygen species in lead-induced hypertension. Kidney Int 1999;56:1492-1498.
- Gonick HC, Ding Y, Bondy SC, Ni Z, Vaziri ND. Lead-induced hypertension: interplay of nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species. Hypertension 1997;30:1487-1492.
- Vaziri ND, Ding Y, Ni Z, Gonick HC. Altered nitric oxide metabolism and increased oxygen free radical activity in lead-induced hypertension: effect of lazaroid therapy. Kidney Int 1997;52:1042-1046.
- Vaziri ND, Lin CY, Farmand F, Sindhu RK. Superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase and NADPH oxidase in lead-induced hypertension. Kidney Int 2003;63:186-194.
- Lee KH, Lee SK, Kim HS, Cho EJ, Joo HK, Lee EJ, Lee JY, Park MS, Chang SJ, Cho CH, et al. Overexpression of Ref-1 inhibits lead-induced endothelial cell death via the upregulation of catalase. Korean J Physiol Pharmacol 2009;13:431-436.
- Patrick L. Lead toxicity part II: the role of free radical damage and the use of antioxidants in the pathology and treatment of lead toxicity. Altern Med Rev 2006;11:114-127.
- Patrick L. Lead toxicity, a review of the literature. Part 1: Exposure, evaluation, and treatment. Altern Med Rev 2006;11:2-22.
- Nam KY. Clinical applications and efficacy of Korean ginseng. J Ginseng Res 2002;26:111-131.
- Kim EH, Rhee DK. Anti-oxidative properties of ginseng. J Ginseng Res 2009;33:1-7.
- Kim CS, Park JB, Kim KJ, Chang SJ, Ryoo SW, Jeon BH. Effect of Korean red ginseng on cerebral blood flow and superoxide production. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2002;23:1152-1156.
- Jeon BH, Kim CS, Park KS, Lee JW, Park JB, Kim KJ, Kim SH, Chang SJ, Nam KY. Effect of Korean red ginseng on the blood pressure in conscious hypertensive rats. Gen Pharmacol 2000;35:135-141.
- Jeon BH, Kim CS, Kim HS, Park JB, Nam KY, Chang SJ. Effect of Korean red ginseng on blood pressure and nitric oxide production. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2000;21:1095-1100.
- Han K, Shin IC, Choi KJ, Yun YP, Hong JT, Oh KW. Korean red ginseng water extract increases nitric oxide concentrations in exhaled breath. Nitric Oxide 2005;12:159-162.
- Chang SJ, Suh JS, Jeon BH, Nam KY, Park HK. Vasorelaxing effect by protopanaxatriol and protopanaxadiol of Panax ginseng in the pig coronary artery. J Ginseng Res 1994;18:95-101.
- Jovanovski E, Jenkins A, Dias AG, Peeva V, Sievenpiper J, Arnason JT, Rahelic D, Josse RG, Vuksan V. Effects of Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Mayer) and its isolated ginsenosides and polysaccharides on arterial stiffness in healthy individuals. Am J Hypertens 2010;23:469-472.
- Vupputuri S, He J, Muntner P, Bazzano LA, Whelton PK, Batuman V. Blood lead level is associated with elevated blood pressure in blacks. Hypertension 2003;41:463-468.
- Courtois E, Marques M, Barrientos A, Casado S, Lopez-Farre A. Lead-induced downregulation of soluble guanylate cyclase in isolated rat aortic segments mediated by reactive oxygen species and cyclooxygenase-2. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003;14:1464-1470.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Blood lead levels―United States, 1999-2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005;54:513-516.
- Kosnett MJ, Wedeen RP, Rothenberg SJ, Hipkins KL, Materna BL, Schwartz BS, Hu H, Woolf A. Recommendations for medical management of adult lead exposure. Environ Health Perspect 2007;115:463-471.
- Gracia RC, Snodgrass WR. Lead toxicity and chelation therapy. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2007;64:45-53.
- Lee JW, Do JH. Current studies on browning reaction products and acidic polysaccharide in Korean red ginseng. J Ginseng Res 2006;30:41-48.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- Lee, Keyong-Ho ; Rhee, Ki-Hyeong 2012. "Effect of Taraxacum Mongolicum Extract on Serum Heavy Metal Levels and Blood Parameters of Albino Rats Exposed to Lead and Mercury" 한국환경농학회지 = Korean journal of environmental agriculture, 31(3): 264~270
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기