Anti-apoptotic Effects of Red Ginseng on Oxidative Stress Induced by Hydrogen Peroxide in SK-N-SH Cells
Ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer) has been shown to have anti-stress effects in animal studies. However, most studies have only managed to detect altered levels of biomarkers or enzymes in blood or tissue, and the actual molecular mechanisms by which ginseng exerts these effects remain unknown. In this study, the anti-oxidative effect of Korean red ginseng (KRG) was examined in human SK-N-SH neuroblastoma cells. Incubation of SK-N-SH cells with the oxidative stressor hydrogen peroxide resulted in significant induction of cell death. In contrast, pre-treatment of cells with KRG decreased cell death significantly. To elucidate underlying mechanisms by which KRG inhibited cell death, the expression of apoptosis-related proteins was examined by Western blot analysis. KRG pre-treatment decreased the expression of the pro-apoptotic gene caspase-3, whereas it increased expression of the anti-apoptotic gene Bcl-2. Consistent with this, immunoblot analysis showed that pre-treatment of the SK-N-SH cells with KRG inhibited expression of the pro-inflammatory gene cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2). RT-PCR analysis revealed that the repression of COX-2 expression by KRG pre-treatment occurred at the mRNA level. Taken together, our data indicate that KRG can protect against oxidative stress-induced neuronal cell death by repressing genes that mediate apoptosis and inflammation.
- Nam KY. The comparative understanding between red ginsengs and white ginsengs, processed ginsengs (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer). J Ginseng Res 2005;29:1-18.
- Filaretov AA, Bogdanova TS, Podvigina TT, Bodganov AI. Role of pituitary-adrenocortical system in body adaptation abilities. Exp Clin Endocrinol 1988;92:129-136.
- Kim SH, Park KS, Chang MJ, Sung JH. Effects of Panax ginseng extract on exercise-induced oxidative stress. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2005;45:178-182.
- Voces J, Cabral de Oliveira AC, Prieto JG, Vila L, Perez AC, Duarte ID, Alvarez AI. Ginseng administration protects skeletal muscle from oxidative stress induced by acute exercise in rats. Braz J Med Biol Res 2004;37:1863-1871.
- Chen JX, Li W, Zhao X, Yang JX. Effects of the Chinese traditional prescription Xiaoyaosan decoction on chronic immobilization stress-induced changes in behavior and brain BDNF, TrkB, and NT-3 in rats. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2008;28:745-755.
- Rai D, Bhatia G, Sen T, Palit G. Anti-stress effects of Ginkgo biloba and Panax ginseng: a comparative study. J Pharmacol Sci 2003;93:458-464.
- Lee SE, Lee SW, Bang JK, Yu YJ, Seong NS. Antioxidant activities of leaf, stem, and root of Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. Korean J Med Crop Sci 2004;12:237-242.
- Kim DH, Moon YS, Lee TH, Jung JS, Suh HW, Song DK. The inhibitory effect of ginseng saponins on the stress-induced plasma interleukin-6 level in mice. Neurosci Lett 2003;353:13-16.
- Zhang QH, Wu CF, Duan L, Yang JY. Protective effects of total saponins from stem and leaf of Panax ginseng against cyclophosphamide-induced genotoxicity and apoptosis in mouse bone marrow cells and peripheral lymphocyte cells. Food Chem Toxicol 2008; 46:293-302.
- Luo YM, Cheng XJ, Yuan WX. Effects of ginseng root saponins and ginsenoside Rb1 on immunity in cold water swim stress mice and rats. Zhongguo Yao Li Xue Bao 1993;14:401-404.
- Choi SS, Lee JK, Suh HW. Effect of ginsenosides administered intrathecally on the antinociception induced by cold water swimming stress in the mouse. Biol Pharm Bull 2003;26:858-861.
- Naval MV, Gomez-Serranillos MP, Carretero ME, Villar AM. Neuroprotective effect of a ginseng (Panax ginseng) root extract on astrocytes primary culture. J Ethnopharmacol2007;112:262-270.
- Lopez MV, Cuadrado MP, Ruiz-Poveda OM, Del Fresno AM, Accame ME. Neuroprotective effect of individual ginsenosides on astrocytes primary culture. Biochim Biophys Acta 2007;1770:1308-1316.
- Tu LH, Ma J, Liu HP, Wang RR, Luo J. The neuroprotective effects of ginsenosides on calcineurin activity and tau phosphorylation in SY5Y cells. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2009;29:1257-1264.
- Dang H, Chen Y, Liu X, Wang Q, Wang L, Jia W, Wang Y. Antidepressant effects of ginseng total saponins in the forced swimming test and chronic mild stress models of depression. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2009;33:1417-1424.
- Hwang YP, Jeong HG. Ginsenoside Rb1 protects against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced oxidative stress by increasing heme oxygenase-1 expression through an estrogen receptor-related PI3K/Akt/Nrf2-dependent pathway in human dopaminergic cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2010;242:18-28.
- Radad K, Gille G, Moldzio R, Saito H, Rausch WD. Ginsenosides Rb1 and Rg1 effects on mesencephalic dopaminergic cells stressed with glutamate. Brain Res 2004;1021:41-53.
- Kim S, Nah SY, Rhim H. Neuroprotective effects of ginseng saponins against L-type Ca2+ channel-mediated cell death in rat cortical neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2008;365:399-405.
- Liao B, Newmark H, Zhou R. Neuroprotective effects of ginseng total saponin and ginsenosides Rb1 and Rg1 on spinal cord neurons in vitro. Exp Neurol 2002;173:224-234.
- Li N, Liu B, Dluzen DE, Jin Y. Protective effects of ginsenoside Rg2 against glutamate-induced neurotoxicity in PC12 cells. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;111:458-463.
- Ye R, Li N, Han J, Kong X, Cao R, Rao Z, Zhao G. Neuroprotectiveeffects of ginsenoside Rd against oxygen-glucose deprivation in cultured hippocampal neurons. Neurosci Res 2009;64:306-310.
- Smirnov IM, Bailey K, Flowers CH, Garrigues NW, Wesselius LJ. Effects of TNF-alpha and IL-1beta on iron metabolism by A549 cells and influence on cytotoxicity. Am J Physiol 1999;277:L257- L263.
- Garcia-Bueno B, Caso JR, Leza JC. Stress as a neuroinflammatorycondition in brain: damaging and protective mechanisms. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2008;32:1136-1151.
- Yazici C, Kose K, Calis M, DemIr M, Kirnap M, Ates F. Increased advanced oxidation protein products in Behcet’s disease: a new activity marker? Br J Dermatol 2004;151:105-111.
- Liu J, Mori A. Stress, aging, and brain oxidative damage. Neurochem Res 1999;24:1479-1497.
- Konishi T. Brain oxidative stress as basic target of antioxidant traditional oriental medicines. Neurochem Res 2009;34:711-716.
- Ohta Y, Chiba S, Tada M, Imai Y, Kitagawa A. Development of oxidative stress and cell damage in the liver of rats with water-immersion restraint stress. Redox Rep 2007;12:139-147.
- Kim JW, Kwon OY, Kim MH. Differentially expressed genes and morphological changes during lengthened immobilization in rat soleus muscle. Differentiation 2007;75:147-157.
- Sasagawa I, Yazawa H, Suzuki Y, Nakada T. Stress and testicular germ cell apoptosis. Arch Androl 2001;47:211-216.
- Taylor NL, Millar AH. Oxidative stress and plant mitochondria.Methods Mol Biol 2007;372:389-403.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (3)
- 2010. "" Archives of pharmacal research : a publication of the Pharmaceutical Society of Korea, 33(11): 1753~1760
- 2010. "" Journal of ginseng research = 高麗人參學會誌, 34(3): 212~218
- 2012. "" Journal of ginseng research = 高麗人參學會誌, 36(4): 383~390
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기