Protective Effects of Ginseng Coffee against Hydrogen Peroxide-induced Oxidative Damage in L6 Muscle Cells
This study investigated the antioxidant effects of ginseng coffee in L6 muscle cells. Ginseng coffee was prepared by coating and digesting coffee beans with ginseng concentrate. The ginseng coffee water extract potently protected against hydrogen peroxide-induced L6 cell death and adenosine triphosphate reduction in a dose-dependent manner; in fact, these cytoprotective effects were significantly greater than those of normal coffee. However, ginseng coffee did not exhibit significant radical scavenging or catalase-like activity. These results suggest that ginseng coffee might act as a cytoprotective agent in muscles, but that the protective effects are not due to a direct radical-reduction property but rather to another intracellular signaling factor.
- Bassuk SS, Manson JE. Epidemiological evidence for the role of physical activity in reducing risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. J Appl Physiol 2005;99:1193-1204.
- Roberts CK, Barnard RJ. Effects of exercise and diet on chronic disease. J Appl Physiol 2005;98:3-30.
- Hyun KY. An association of changed levels of inflammatorymarkers with hematological factors during one-time aerobic exercise in twenty-aged young men. J Life Sci 2009;19:1658-1665.
- Ji LL. Exercise, oxidative stress, and antioxidants. Am J Sports Med 1996;24:S20-S24.
- Maughan RJ, Donnelly AE, Gleeson M, Whiting PH, Walker KA, Clough PJ. Delayed-onset muscle damage and lipid peroxidation in man after a downhill run. Muscle Nerve 1989;12:332-336.
- Halliwell B. Reactive oxygen species and the central nervous system. J Neurochem 1992;59:1609-1623.
- Choi J, Kim Y, Lee KM, Kim HJ. The effects of red-ginseng intaking on free radical produced during aerobic exercise in the elderly. J Ginseng Res 2004;28:27-32.
- Shin JG, Park JW, Pyo JK, Kim MS, Chung MH. Protective effects of a ginseng component, maltol (2-methyl-3-hydroxy-4-pyron) against tissue damages induced by oxygen radicals. Korean J Ginseng Sci 1990;14:187-190.
- Kim KT, Lee YC, Cho CW, Rhee YK, Bae HM. Quality characteristics of ginseng coffee treated by coating of white ginseng extract. J Ginseng Res 2010;34:1-7.
- Kim SY, Gao JJ, Lee WC, Ryu KS, Lee KR, Kim YC. Antioxidative flavonoids from the leaves of Morus alba. Arch Pharm Res 1999;22:81-85.
- Wang M, Jin Y, Ho CT. Evaluation of resveratrol derivatives as potential antioxidants and identification of a reaction product of resveratrol and 2, 2-diphenyl-1-picryhydrazyl radical. J Agric Food Chem 1999;47:3974-3977.
- van den Berg R, Haenen GR, van den Berg H, Bast A. Applicability of an improved trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) assay for evaluation of antioxidant capacity measurements of mixtures. Food Chem 1999;66:511-517.
- Bai J, Rodriguez AM, Melendez JA, Cederbaum AI. Overexpression of catalase in cytosolic or mitochondrial compartment protects HepG2 cells against oxidative injury. J Biol Chem 1999;274:26217-26224.
- Tada-Oikawa S, Oikawa S, Kawanishi M, Yamada M, Kawanishi S. Generation of hydrogen peroxide precedes loss of mitochondrial membrane potential during DNA alkylation-induced apoptosis. FEBS Lett 1999;442:65-69.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기