Testing red blood cell deformability of laboratory animals by slit-flow ektacytometry in various viscosity media : Inter-species and gender differences
Viscosity of the suspending medium can be a determinant contributor to the effective measurements of red blood cell deformability using ektacytometry. Deformability of erythrocyte is known to show inter-species and gender differences, therefore the evaluation of the effects and the standardized usage of the suspending media are important in animal experiments. For evaluating the differences using various viscosity media, we aimed to test male and female Sprague-Dawley rats and beagle dogs. Blood samples were collected and red blood cell deformability was tested by a RheoScan-D200 slit-flow ektacytometer using parallel measurements in PVP solutions at viscosity of 15, 20 and 30 mPa.s. The lowest elongation index values were measured in 15 mPa.s solution in both species and genders. The inter-species differences were obvious: rats had higher elongation index values. Gender differences were found only in 20 and 30 mPa.s samples: in rats males, while in dogs females had better red blood cell deformability. The standard usage of PVP solutions is essential for comparative studies, because the results obtained from different viscosity PVP solutions are not comparable to each other. In Sprague-Dawley rats and beagle dogs the relatively less viscous media (
- Musielak, M., 2009, Red blood cell-deformability measurement: review of techniques, Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. 42, 47-64.
- Nash, G. B. and H. J. Meiselman, 1983, Effects of dextran and polyvinylpyrrolidone on red cell geometry and membrane elasticity, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 416, 255-262.
- Nemeth, N., O. K. Baskurt, H. J. Meiselman and I. Miko, 2009, Species-specific effects of anticoagulants on red blood cell deformability, Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. 43, 257-259.
- Nemeth, N., F. Kiss, I. Furka and I. Miko, 2010, Gender differences of blood rheological parameters in laboratory animals. Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. ？ accepted for publication.
- Shin, S., Y. Ku, M. S. Park and J. S. Suh, 2005, Slit-flow ektacytometry: laser diffraction in a slit rheometer, Cytometry Part B (Clinical Cytometry) 65, 6-13.
- Yerer, M. B., S. Aydogan and F. M. Comu, 2008, Gender-related alterations in erythrocyte mechanical activities under desflurane or sevoflurane anesthesia, Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. 39, 423-427.
- Bitbol, M., 1986, Red blood cell orientation in orbit C = 0, Biophys. J. 49, 1055-1068.
- Baskurt, O. K., M. Boynard, G. C. Cokelet, P. Connes, B. M. Cooke, S. Forconi, F. Liao, M. R. Hardeman, F. Jung, H. J. Meiselman, G. Nash, N. Nemeth, B. Neu, B. Sandhagen, S. Shin, G. Thurston and J. L. Wautier, 2009, International Expert Panel for Standardization of Hemorheological Methods, New guidelines for hemorheological laboratory techniques, Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. 42, 75-97.
- Nemeth, N., O. K. Baskurt, H. J. Meiselman, I. Furka and I. Miko, 2009, Hemorheological measurements in experimental animals: Further consideration of cell size - pore size relations in filtrometry, Korea-Aust. Rheol. J. 21, 155-160.
- Armstrong, J. K., R. B. Wenby, H. J. Meiselman and T. C. Fisher, 2004, The hydrodynamic radii of macromolecules and their effect on red blood cell aggregation, Biophys. J. 87, 4259-4270.
- Fisher, T. and H. Schmid-Schonbein, 1978, Tank tread motion of red cell membranes in viscometric flow, in: Red Cell Rheology, Bessis, M., S. B. Shohet and N. Mohandas, eds, Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp. 347-358.
- Meiselman, H. J., 1981, Morphological determinants of red blood cell deformability, Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 41 Suppl. 156, 27-34.
- Schmid-Schonbein, H. and R. Wells, 1969, Fluid drop-like transition of erythrocytes under shear, Science 165, 288-291.
- Pfafferott, C., G. B. Nash and H. J. Meiselman, 1985, Red blood cell deformability in shear flow. Effects of internal and external phase viscosity and of in vivo aging, Biophys. J. 47, 695-704.
- Windberger, U. and O. K. Baskurt, 2007, Comparative hemorheology, in: Handbook of Hemorheology and Hemodynamics, Baskurt, O. K., M. R. Hardeman, M. W. Rampling and H. J. Meiselman, eds, IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 267-285.
- Fritz, O. G. Jr., 1984, Anomalous diffusion of erythrocytes in the presence of polyvinylpyrrolidone, Biophys. J. 46, 219-228.
- Hardeman, M. R., P. T. Goedhart and S. Shin, 2007, Methods in hemorheology, in: Handbook of Hemorheology and Hemodynamics, Baskurt, O. K., M. R. Hardeman, M. W. Rampling and H. J. Meiselman, eds, IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 242-266.
- Nemeth, N., O. K. Baskurt, H. J Meiselman, F. Kiss, M. Uyuklu, T. Hever, E. Sajtos, P. Kenyeres, K. Toth, I. Furka and I. Miko, 2009, Storage of laboratory animal blood samples causes hemorheological alterations: Inter-species differences and the effects of duration and temperature, Korea-Aust. Rheol. J. 21, 127-133.
- Nemeth, N., T. Alexy, A. Furka, O. K. Baskurt, H. J. Meiselman, I. Furka and I. Miko, 2009, Inter-species differences in hematocrit to blood viscosity ratio, Biorheology 46, 155-165.
- Baskurt, O. K., M. R. Hardeman, M. Uyuklu, P. Ulker, M. Cengiz, N. Nemeth, S. Shin, T. Alexy and H. J. Meiselman, 2009, Comparison of three commercially available ektacytometers with different shearing geometries, Biorheology 46, 251-264.
- Baskurt, O. K., M. R. Hardeman, M. Uyuklu, P. Ulker, M. Cengiz, N. Nemeth, S. Shin, T. Alexy and H. J. Meiselman, 2009, Parameterization of red blood cell elongation index ？ shear stress curves obtained by ektacytometry, Scan. J. Clin. Lab. Inv. 69, 777-788.
- Fisher, T. M., 2007, Tank-tread frequency of the red cell membrane: dependence on the viscosity of the suspending medium, Biophys. J. 93, 2553-2561.
- ICSH Expert Panel on Blood Rheology, 1986, Guidelines for measurement of blood viscosity and erythrocyte deformability, Clin. Hemorheol. 6, 439-453.
- Stoltz, J. F., M. Singh and P. Riha, eds, 1999, Microrheological parameters, in: Hemorheology in Practice, IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 27-52.
- Aydogan, S., H. Yapislar, S. Artis and B. Aydogan, 2008, Impaired erythrocytes deformability in H(2)O(2)-induced oxidative stress: protective effect of L-carnosine, Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. 39, 93-98.
- Baskurt, O. K. and H. J. Meiselman, 2004, Analyzing shear stress-elongation index curves: Comparison of two approaches to simplify data presentation, Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. 31, 23-30.
- Hardeman, M.R., Personal communication.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2010. "" Korea-Australia rheology journal, 22(1): 81~86
- 원문이 없습니다.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기