Derivation of Threshold Values for Groundwater in Romania, in order to Distinguish Point & Diffuse Pollution from Natural Background Levels
Romania aims to adopt and implement the European Union's legislation, also including that for the field of water management. Like other countries, groundwater in Romania is locally polluted from point sources, such as leaking landfills, as well as from diffuse pollution sources, include fertilizers, pesticides and leakages from sewers, in urbanized areas. Diffuse pollution can also occur indirectly, by over-exploitation of groundwater wells, resulting in salt water intrusion, as well as from mining and exploitation of mineral aggregates. Romania has quite an intensive monitoring scheme to measure groundwater quality in phreatic and confined aquifers. The purpose of the work resumed in this paper was to derive natural background levels (NBL) for groundwater in order to distinguish the natural elevated concentrations of some substances (natural phenomena) from point and diffuse pollution (anthropogenic phenomena). Based on these NBLs, threshold values (TV) for groundwater will be set according to the requirements of the European Water Framework Directive and the related Groundwater Directive. This paper describes the results of a study for the derivation of NBL and TV in a pilot Groundwater Body. Also, the process and draft results for extrapolating this work for all Romanian groundwater bodies is explained, as well as points for future consideration with respect to monitoring and management.
- European Union. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for community action in the field of water policy. Off. J. Eur. Communities 2000;43:L327
- European Union. Directive 2006/118/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 on the protection of groundwater against pollution and deterioration. Off. J. Eur. Union 2006;49:L372
- European Union. Council Directive 1999/31/EC on the landfill of waste. Off. J. Eur. Communities 2006;42:L182
- Bretotean M, Macalet R, Tenu A, Munteanu MT, Radu E, Tomescu G, Dragusin D, Radu C. Implementarea Directivei Cadru 60/2000 in privinta apelor subterane din Romania (WFD 60/2000 implementation concerning Romanian groundwater bodies) In: National Symposium of Hydrogeologist’s Association from Romania (AHR); 2003 Nov. 20-21; Bucuresti, Romania.
- Romanian Ministry of Environment. Characterization water bodies in Romania, Article-V report for the WFD. 2004.
- DAB, MoESD, ANAR, INHGA, Grontmij, Witteveen+Bos, Ecorys, BDO. Groundwater Management Plan for Banat Water Directorate, including Parta and Jimbolia landfills. 2008.
- DAB, MoESD, ANAR, INHGA, Grontmij Nederland bv, Witteveen+Bos, Ecorys, BDO. Guideline for the derivation of Natural Background levels and Threshold values for groundwater. 2008.
- Appelo CAJ, Postma D. Geochemistry, groundwater and pollution. 2nd ed. London: A.A. Balkema; 2005.
- Griffioen J, Passier HF, Klein J. Comparison of selection methods to deduce natural background levels for groundwater units. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2008;42:4863-4869.
- Hinsby K. BRIDGE, application and evaluation of a proposed methodology for derivation of groundwater threshold values, a case study summary report (Scientific Support to Policy). 2006.
- Working Group C？Groundwater, Activity WGC-2. Status compliance & trends. Guidance on groundwater status and trend assessment. Final Draft 2.0. 15 October 2008. Available from http://www.sgu.se/dokument/eu-dokument/guidance-on-groundwater-status-and-trend-assessment.pdf
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- An, Youn-Joo ; Nam, Sun-Hwa ; Jeong, Seung-Woo 2014. "Establishment of Non-drinking Groundwater Quality Standards: General Contamination Substances" 지하수토양환경 = Journal of soil and groundwater environment, 19(6): 24~29
- NDSL :
- 대한환경공학회 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기