Wide Area Distribution of Nitrogen Concentrations in Mountain Streams of Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
To study the relationship between the concentrations of nitrogen in mountain streams, and anthropologic and natural factors, the water chemistry of the mountain streams in the entire Hyogo Prefecture, Japan, were investigated. A thousand mountain streams were investigated between 1998 and 2001. The concentrations of nitrate nitrogen ranged from 2.92 to 0.1 mg/L, with an arithmetic mean value of 0.45 mg/L. A number of streams showing more than 1.0 mg/L of nitrate nitrogen accounted for 8% of the mountain streams investigated. These results indicated that the concentrations of nitrate nitrogen in the mountain streams were low in the entire Hyogo Prefecture. In general, the mountain stream water in Hyogo Prefecture appears to not have been affected by wet and dry deposition originating from anthropologic sources in mountain streams and Japan. On the other hand, sites with more than 0.8 mg/L nitrate nitrogen were distributed over the entire Hyogo Prefecture, which were classified into five groups. Each group showed unique geographical, geological and anthropological characteristics. No common characteristic among five groups were discover. These results suggest that the cause of high concentrations of nitrogen in mountain streams is not from a uniform set of conditions.
- Mitchell MJ, Iwatsubo G, Ohrui K, Nakagawa Y. Nitrogen saturation in Japanese forests: An evaluation. For. Ecol. Manage. 1997;97:39-51.
- Ohrui K, Mitchell MJ. Nitrogen saturation in Japanese forested watersheds. Ecol. Appl. 1997;7:391-401.
- Stoddard JL. Long-term changes in watershed retention of nitrogen. In: Baker LA, ed. Environmental Chemistry of Lakes and Reservoirs (Advances in Chemistry Vol. 237): American Chemical Society; 1994. p. 223-284.
- Aber J, McDowell W, Nadelhoffer K, et al. Nitrogen saturation in temperate forest ecosystems: Hypotheses revisited. Bioscience 1998;48:921-934.
- Kawakami T, Honoki H, Yasuda H. Acidification of a small stream on Kureha Hill caused by nitrate leached from a forested watershed. Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 2001;130:1097-1102.
- Yoh M, Konohira E, Yagi K. Regional distribution of natural stream nitrate in central Japan. Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 2001;130:655-660.
- Holloway JM, Dahlgren RA, Hansen B, Casey WH. Contribution of bedrock nitrogen to high nitrate concentrations in stream water. Nature 1998;395:785-788.
- Komai Y, Umemoto S, Takeda Y, Inoue T, Imai A. Characteristics of distribution of nitrate nitrogen in mountain streams of granite area. In: The 68th Annual Meeting of the Japan Society of Limnology; 2003. p. 224 (Abstract).
- Takeuch H, Kunimatsu T, Ono J, Hida Y. Nitrogen concentration and geology in mountain stream(5) Concentration of nitrogen in Ryoke belt of Kink district. In: The 38th Japan Water Environmenta and Technology (JWET) Annual Meeting; 2004. p. 281 (Abstract).
- Sindo J, Konohira E, Yoshioka T, Okamoto K, Kawashima H. Nationwide estimation of nitrogen load and nitrogen concentration in natural stream water. Environ. Sci. 2005;18:455-463.
- NDSL :
- 대한환경공학회 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기