Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of the methanolic extract of Mucuna pruriens Bak. roots
The methanolic extract of natural roots of Mucuna pruriens was screened for hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects in carbon tetrachloride ( $CCl_4$ ) induced hepatotoxicity in Albino rats. The degree of protection was measured by estimating biochemical parameters like serum glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase, serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase, total protein and level of serum bilirubin (both total and direct). The extract also reduced $CCl_4$ induced lipid peroxidation both in-vitro and in-vivo. Hepatoprotective activity of methanolic extract at dose 300 mg/kg body weight, i.p., was comparable with standard drug Silymarin (25 mg/kg, i.p.). Furthermore, histopathological experiments were also carried out to support the study.
- Anonymous. (1995) The Wealth of India. Volume VI, pp. 442-444, National Institute of Science and Communication ,CSIR, New Delhi, India.
- Aruna V, Naidu KG, Satyanarayana T, Ganapaty S. (1998) Phytochemical studies on the roots of Mucuna pruriens Baker. Indian drugs, 35, 356-358.
- Blois M. (1958) Antioxidant determinations by the use of stable free radicals. Nature, 26, 1199-2000.
- Dhar ML, Dhar MM, Mehrotra BN, Ray C. (1968) Screening of Indian plants for biological activity part 1. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 6, 232-247.
- Ellman GL. (1959) Tissue sulphydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys. 82, 70-77.
- Gao X, Ohlander M, Jeppsson N, Bjork L, Trajkovski V. (2000) Changes in antioxidant effects and their relationship to phytonutrients in fruits of sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) during maturation. J. Agricultural Food Chem. 48, 1485-1490.
- Handa SS, Kaur MK. (1996) Supplement to cultivation and utilization of medicinal plants. 2, 63-64.
- Houghton PJ, Shari KP. (1994) The effect on blood clotting of some West African plants used against snakebite. J. Ethnopharmacology, 44, 99-108.
- Jauk L, Galati EM, Kirjavainen S, Forestieri AM, Tovata A. (1993) Analgesic and antipyretic effects of Mucuna prureins. Int. J. Pharmacognosy, 37, 213-216.
- Johnson DE, Kroening C. (1998) Mechanism of early Carbon tetrachloride toxicity in cultured rat hepatocytes. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 83, 231-239.
- Kosalec I, Bakmaz M, Repeliniak S, Vladimirknezevic S. (2004) Quantitative analysis of the flavonoids in raw propolis from northern Croatia. Acta Pharmaceutica 54, 65-72.
- Kurata M, Suzuki M, Agar MS. (1993) Antioxidant system and erythrocyte life span in mammals. Biochem Physiol. 106, 477-487.
- Luna LG. (2002) Manual of histology; staining methods of Armed Force Institute of Pathology, 3rd Ed, Mc Graw Hill Book Co. Ltd.
- Majumdar DN, Zalani CD. (1953) Mucuna pruriens DC, Alkaloidal constituents III, isolation of water soluble alkaloids and a study of their chemical and physiological characterization. Indian J. Pharm. 5, 62-65.
- Malloy HT, Evelyn KA. (1937) The determination of bilirubin with the photometric colorimeter. J. Biol. Chem. 119, 481-490.
- Niranjan GS, Katiyar SK. (1974) Chemical composition of some legumes. J. Indian Chem. Soc. 56, 872-877.
- Ohkawa H, Onishi N, Yagi K. (1979) Assay of lipid peroxidation in animal tissue by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem. 95, 351-358.
- Rathi SS. (2002) The effect of Memordica charantia and Mucuna pruriens in experimental diabetes and on key metabolising enzymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism. Phytother. Res. 16, 236-243.
- Rietman S, Frankel S. (1957) A colorimetric determination of serum glutamic oxaloacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 28, 56-63.
Saraswat B, Visen PK, Patnaik GK, Dhawan BN. (1993) Anticholestastic effect of Picroliv, active hepatoprotective principle of Picrorhiza kurroa against
$CCl_4$induced cholestasis. India J. Exp. Biol. 31, 316-318.
- Soler- Rivas C, Espin JC, Wicker HJ. (2000) An easy and fast test to compare total free radicals scavenger capacity of total food stuffs. Phytochemical Analysis11, 1-9.
Srivastava SP, Chen NO, Hotlzman JL. (1990) The in vitro NADPH dependant inhibition by
$CCl_4$of the ATP dependant Calcium uptake of hepatic microsomes from male rats. Studies on the mechanism o inactivation of the hepatic microsomal calcium pump by $CCl_3$radical. J. Biol. Chem. 265, 8392-8399.
- Woolson RF. (1987) Statistical methods for the analysis of biomedical data. John Wiley and Sons Inc. New York.
- Yerra R, Malaya G, Mazumder UK. (2005) In Vitro lipid peroxidation and antimicrobial activity of Mucuna pruriens seeds. Iranian Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics 4, 32-35.
- NDSL :
- DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.3742/OPEM.2010.10.2.079
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기