Antidiabetic activity of Argyreia speciosa (sweet) (Burm.f.)Boj. in normoglycemic and Streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats
Effect of ethanol (ASE) and water (ASW) extracts of Argyreia speciosa on blood glucose and lipid profile was investigated in normoglycemic and Streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic animals. In oral glucose and sucrose tolerance test, treatment with ASE and ASW (100 and 200 mg/kg) and Glidenclamide (10 mg/kg) significantly improved the glucose and sucrose tolerance in normal animals. In addition, respective treatment for fifteen-day resulted in significant percentage reduction in serum glucose (SG) ie., 30.39% (lower dose of ASE) and 33.21% (higher dose of ASW). In standardized STZ (50 mg/kg, iv)-induced diabetic rats, a single dose of ASE and ASW treatment exhibited reduction in SG levels at different time intervals compared to basal levels. Administration of both the doses of ASE and ASW for fifteen-day days exhibited greater percentage reduction in glycemia (24.6%, 24.7%, 23.9% and 21.9% respectively) and also ameliorated restored to near normal value of all tested lipid parameters. Further, treatment also exhibited significantly improved glucose tolerance over the period of 120 min compared to diabetic control group. Eventhough treatment failed to increase serum insulin levels significantly but peripheral utilization of insulin was increased as evident by insulin tolerance test. Taken together, present study supports the traditional usage of title plant in the treatment of diabetes mellitus.
- Ananthan R, Latha M, Pari L, Baskar C, Narmatha V. (2004) Modulatory effects of Gymnema montanum leaf extract on alloxan induced oxidative stress in wistar rats. Nutrition 20, 280-285.
- Ashok K, Tiwari J, Madhusudana Rao. (2001) Diabetes mellitus and multiple therapeutic approaches of phytochemicals. Present status and future prospects Pharmacology Division and Natural Product Laboratory, Organic-I Division, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad: India.
- Chattopadhyay RR, Sarkar SK, Ganguly S, Banerjee RN, Basu TK. (1992) Effect of extract of leaves of Vinca rosea Linn. on glucose utilization and glycogen deposition by isolated rat hemidiaphragm. Ind. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 36, 137-138.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. (1972) Estimation of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative centrifuge. Clin. Chem. 18, 499.
- Ghosh R, Sharatchandra KH, Rita S, Thokchom IS. (2004) Hypoglycemic activity of Ficus hispida (bark) in normal and diabetic rats. Ind. J. Pharmacol. 36, 222-225.
- Ghosh R, Sharatchandra KH, Rita S, Thokchom IS. (2004) Hypoglycemic activity of Ficus hispida (bark) in normal and diabetic rats. Ind. J. Pharmacol. 36,222-225.
- Gokhale AB, Damre AS & Saraf MN. (2003) Investigations in to the Immunomodulatory activity of Argyreia speciosa. J. Ethnopharmacol. 84, 109-114.
- Gokhale AB, Damre AS, Kulkarni KR & Saraf MN. (2002) Preliminary evaluation of anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic activity of S. lappa, A. speciosa andA. aspera. Phytomedicine 9, 433-437.
- Goldberg RB. (1981) Lipid disorders in diabetes. Diabetes Care 4, 561-572.
- Gray AM, Flatt PR. (1997) Nature’s own pharmacy: the diabetes perspective. Proc. Nut. Soc. 56, 507-517.
- Gray AM, Flatt PR. (1999) Insulin-secreting activity of the traditional antidiabetic plant Viscum album (mistletoe). J. Endocrinol. 160, 409-414.
- Habbu PV, Shastry R., Mahadevan KM, Joshi HK & Das SK. (2008) Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects of Argyreia speciosa in rats, Afr.J .Trad. Compl. Altern. Med. 5, 158-164.
- Habbu PV, Shastry RA, Mahadevan KM & Sneha C. (2009) Antiamnesic activity of Argyreia speciosa in mice. Int. J. Green Pharm. (In Press).
- Habbu PV, Shastry RA, Mahadevan KM, Manjunath H. (2009) Antimicrobial activity of flavanoids sulphates and other fractions of Argyreia speciosa (Burm.f.) Boj. Ind. J. Exp. Bio. 47, 121-127.
- Habbu PV, Mahadevan KM, Kulkarni PV, Daultsingh C, Veerapur VP, Shastry RA (2010) Adaptogenic and in vitro antioxidant activity of Argyreia speciosa (Burm.f) Boj. In acute and chronic stress paradigms in rodents. Ind. J. Exp. Bio. 48, 53-60.
- International Diabetes Federation. (2005) Position Statement. Brussels.
- Kasiviswanath R, Ramesh A, Kumar KE. (2005), Hypoglycemic and antihyperglycemic effect of Gmelina asiatica Linn. in normal and Alloxaninduceddiabetic rats. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 28, 729-732.
- Lernmark A. Ott J. (1998) Sometimes it’s hot. Sometimes its not. Nature Genet. 19, 213-218.
- Li Y, Wen S, Kota BP, Peng G, Qian Li G, Yamahara J. et al. (2004) Punica granatum flower extract, a potent a - glucosidase inhibitor, improves postprandialhyperglycemia in Zucker diabetic fatty rats. J. Ethnopharmacol. 99, 239-244.
- Matti R, Das UK, Ghosh D. (2005) Attenuation of hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia in streptozotocininduced diabetic rats by aqueous extract of seed of Tamarindus indica. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 28, 1172-1176.
- Pathak RM, Ansari S, Mahnood A. (1981) Changes in chemical composition of intestinal brush border membrane in alloxan induced chronic diabetes. Ind. J. Exp. Biol. 9, 503-505.
- Petra M, Britta T, Macki K & Eckart E. (1999) Flavanoid sulphates from Convolvulaceae. Phytochemistry 50, 267.
- Punitha R, Manoharan S. (2006) Antihyperglycemic and antilipidperoxidative effects of Pongamia pinnata (Linn.) Pierre flowers in alloxan induced diabetic rats. J. Ethanopharmacol. 105, 39-46.
- Rajasekar P, Kaviarasan S, Anuradha, CV. (2005) Lcarnitine administration prevents oxidative stress in high fructose-fed insulin resistant rats. Diabetologica Croatica 34, 21-28.
- Rajkumar M, Uttam KD, Debidas G. (2005) Attenuation of hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia in streptozotocininduced diabetic rats by aqueous extract of seed of Tamarindus indica. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 28, 1172-1176.
- Roa KN, Kirishna MB, Srinivas N. (2004) Effect of chronic administration of Boerhaavia diffusa Linn. Leaf extract on experimental diabetes in rats. Trop. J. Pharm. Res. 3, 305-309.
- Shani J, Goldschmied A, Joseph B, Ahronoson Z, Sulman FG. (1974) Hypoglycemic effect of Trigonella foenum graecum and Lupinus terminis (Leguminosae) seed and their major alkaloids in alloxan diabetic and normal rats. Arch. Inter. Pharmacodyna. Ther. 210, 27-31.
- Sharma PC, Yelne MB, Dennis TJ. (2004) Database on medicinal plants used in Ayurveda. pp 550, Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha New Delhi.
- Sharma SB, Nasir A, Prabhu KM, Murthy PS, Dev G. (2003) Hypoglycaemic and hypolipidemic effect of ethanolic extract of seeds of Eugenia jambolana in alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits. J. Ethanopharmacol. 85, 201-206.
- Siddique O, Sun Y, Lin JC, Chein YW. (1987) Facilitated transdermal transport of insulin. J. Pharmacol. Sci. 76, 341-345.
- Srivastava A, Shukla Y. (1998) Aryl esters and a Coumarin from Argyreia speciosa, Ind. J. Chem. 37B, 192-194.
- Swanston-Flatt SK, Flatt PR, Day C, Bailey CJ. (1991) Traditional dietary adjuncts for the treatment of diabetes mellitus. Proc. Nut. Soc. 50, 641-651.
- Warrier PK, Nambiar VP, Ramankutty C. (1994) Indian medicinal plants-a compendium of 500 species. pp191. Orient Longman New Delhi.
- Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. (2004) Global prevalence of diabetes. Diabetes Care 27, 1047-1053.
- World Health Organization. (1980) Second Report of the WHO Expert Committee on Diabetes Mellitus. pp.66 Technical Report Series. 646, Geneva.
- Yanardag R, Colak H. (1998) Effect of chard (Beta vulgaris L. var. cicla) on blood glucose levels in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits. Pharm. Pharmacol. Commun. 4, 309-311.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2010. "" Oriental pharmacy and experimental medicine : OPEM, 10(4): 278~287
- NDSL :
- DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.3742/OPEM.2010.10.2.090
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기