Interpreting Conservativeness in Design Criteria for Flexural Strengthening of RC Structures Using Externally Bonded FRP
This paper presents the influence of various flexural strengthening design criteria specified by three important design guidelines (ACI440, TR55, FIB14) on the resulting strength, ductility and conservativeness of FRP strengthened RC elements. Various generalised mathematical relations in non-dimensional form are presented that can be employed to develop design aids for the FRP-strengthening process. A design methodology is prescribed based on these equations enabling the designer to optimally and intuitively incorporate sufficient ductility while designing for strength. In order to better interpret conservativeness within design codes, four distinct levels of embedded conservativeness are identified, which cover the entire range of sources of conservativeness. Finally, a detailed parametric study is presented, using the proposed design equations and methodology, to determine the influence of each of these four levels of conservativeness on final design solutions. Specific criteria that are useful while calibrating design guidelines are also presented.
- Kansara, K. D. and Ramanjaneyulu, K., “Time-dependent Strength Limit-states for Service Life Estimation of Reinforced Concrete Bridges,” SERC Research Report No. RCS-MLP12641-RR-2007-2, Structural Engineering Research Centre, Chennai, India, 2007.
- Teng, J. G., Chen, J. F., Smith, S. T., and Lam, L., FRPstrengthened RC Structures, John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, England, 2002.
- ACI440.2R-08, Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures, American Concrete Institute, Michigan, ACI Committee 440, 2008.
- Concrete Society TR55, “Design Guidance for Strengthening Concrete Structures Using Fibre Composite Materials,” Technical Report No. 55 (2/e), The Concrete Society, Surrey, 2004.
- International Federation of Structural Concrete, “Externally Bonded FRP Reinforcement for RC Structures？Technical Report on the Design and Use of Externally Bonded FRP for RC Structures,” FIB Bulletin 14, Lausanne, 2001.
- Japan Society of Civil Engineers, “Recommendations for Upgrading of Concrete Structures with Use of Continuous Fibre Sheets,” JSCE Concrete Engineering Series 41, Tokyo, 2001.
- CSA S806-02, “Design and Construction of Building Components with FRP,” Canadian Standards Association, Toronto, 2002.
- Kansara, K. D., Ibell, T. J., and Darby, A. P., “Evaluation of Flexural Strengthening Design Criteria for FRP Strengthened RC Structures,” Research Report, Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, University of Bath, Bath, UK, 2009.
- Razaqpur, G. and Ali, A. M., “A New Concept for Achieving Ductility in FRP-Reinforced Concrete,” Proceedings of the First International Conference on Composites in Infra structures (ICCI 96), Tucson, 1996, pp. 401-413.
- ACI318-08, Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete, American Concrete Institute, Michigan, 2005.
- Aprile, A. and Feo, L., Concrete Cover Rip-off of RC Beams Strengthened with FRP Composites, Composites (Part B: Engineering), Vol. 38, 2006, pp. 759-771.
- BS 8110, Structural Use of Concrete？Part 1: Code of Practice for Design and Construction, British Standards Institution, London, 1997.
- CEN Eurocode 2 (EN 1992-1-1), Design of Concrete Structures？Part 1-1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, European Committee for Standardisation, Brussels, 1994.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2012. "" International journal of concrete structures and materials, 6(1): 41~47
- 2012. "" International journal of concrete structures and materials, 6(1): 49~57
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기