A Regression Test Selection and Prioritization Technique
Regression testing is a very costly process performed primarily as a software maintenance activity. It is the process of retesting the modified parts of the software and ensuring that no new errors have been introduced into previously tested source code due to these modifications. A regression test selection technique selects an appropriate number of test cases from a test suite that might expose a fault in the modified program. In this paper, we propose both a regression test selection and prioritization technique. We implemented our regression test selection technique and demonstrated in two case studies that our technique is effective regarding selecting and prioritizing test cases. The results show that our technique may significantly reduce the number of test cases and thus the cost and resources for performing regression testing on modified software.
- B. Beizer, “Software Testing Techniques,” Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
- K. K. Aggarwal, Yogesh Singh, and Arvinder Kaur, “Code Coverage Based Technique for Prioritizing Test Cases for Regression Testing,” ACM SIGSOFT, Vol.29, No.5, pp.1-4, 2004.
- K. Fischer, F. Raji, and A. Chruscicki, “A methodology for retesting modified software,” In Proceedings of the National Telecommunications Conference B-6-3, pp.1-6, Nov., 1981.
- G. Rothermel and M. Harrold, “A Safe, Efficient Algorithm for Regression Test Selection,” Proceedings of International Conference on Software Maintenance,” pp.358-367, 1993.
- W. E. Wong, J. R. Horgan, S. London and H. Aggarwal, “A Study of Effective Regression in Practice,” Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on software reliability Engineering, pp.230-238, Nov., 1994.
- Y. Chen, D. Rosenblum, and K. Vo, “Test Tube, A system for selective regression testing,” In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Software Engineering, 211-220, May, 1994.
- J. Laski and W. Szermer, “Identification of program modifications and its applications in software maintenance,” In Proceedings of the 1992 Conference on Software Maintenance (Nov.). pp.282-290, 1992.
- D. Binkley, “Semantics Guided Regression Test Cost Reduction,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol.23, No.8, pp.498-515, 1997.
- M.J Harrold, and M.L Soffa, “An incremental approach to unit testing during maintenance”, In Proceedings of the Conference on Software Maintenance (Oct.). pp.362-367, 1998.
- T. Graves, M.J. Harrold, J.M. Kim, A. Porter, and G. Rothermel, “An empirical study of regression test selection techniques,” Proceedings 20th International Conference on Software Engineering, Kyoto, Japan. IEEE Computer Society Press: Los Alamitos, CA, pp.188？197, 1998.
- G. Rothermel and M. Harrold, “Analysing Regression Test Selection Techniques,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol.22, No.8, pp.529-551, 1996.
- G. Rothermel, R.H. Untch, C. Chu and M.J. Harold, “Test Case Prioritization,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol.27, No.10, pp.928-948, Oct., 2001.
- A. Srivastava and J. Thiagarajan, “Effectively Prioritizing Tests in Development Environment,” Proceedings of the International Symposium of Software Testing and Analysis, Rome, 22-24 pp.97-106, July, 2002.
- Kim, J. M., and A. Porter, “A history-based test prioritization technique for regression testing in resource constrained environments,” In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Software Engineering, pp.119-129, 2002.
- Z. Li, M. Harman, and R. M. Hierons “Search algorithms for regression test case prioritization,” IEEE Trans. On Software Engineering, Vol.33, No.4, April, 2007.
- NDSL :
- 한국정보처리학회 : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기