Estimation of Genetic Variance Components of Body Size Measurements in Hanwoo (Korean Cattle) Using a Multivariate Linear Model
The objectives of this study were to quantify the combination values of the principal components and factors calculated using body measurements of Hanwoo (Korean Cattle) and estimate their heritabilities. The technique of multivariate analysis was used to reduce a large number of variables to a smaller number of new variables and characterize cattle according to body shape. The analyses were performed using 1,979 cattle at 12 months of age and 936 cattle at 24 months of age. The data for the analyses was obtained from progeny tests performed on Korean Cattle for 6 years from 2003 to 2008. The phenotypic correlations among these traits were estimated to range from 0.32 to 0.90 at 12 months of age and from 0.21 to 0.82 at 24 months of age. The first principal components (PC1s) indicated a weighed average of overall body measurements, accounting for 99.91% of the total variation for both periods of test. The two first PCs had positive coefficients for all body measurements. The major sources of PC, such as chest girth (CG), body length (BL), rump height (RH), and wither height (WH) were similar for both test periods. The heritabilities for PC1, the first factor score (FS1), and the second factor score (FS2) were estimated by multivariate REML method. The estimated heritabilities for PC1, FS1, and FS2 were 0.33, 0.38, and 0.40, respectively, at 12 months of age and 0.26, 0.76, and 0.58 at 24 months of age. Further studies are needed to determine whether the heritabilities of FS1 and FS2 at 24 months of age were overestimated.
- Cattell, R. B. 1978. The Scientific Use of Factor Analysis in Behavioral and Life Sciences. Plenum Press, New York.
- Essl, A. 1998. Longevity in dairy cattle breeding: a review. Livestock Prod. Sci. 57:79-89.
- Gutierrez, J. P. Goyache, F. 2002. Estimation of genetic parameters of type traits in Asturiana de los Valles beef cattle breed. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 119:93-100.
- Hotelling, H. 1993. Analysis of complex of statistical variable into principal components. J. Educ. Psychol. 24(1):498-520.
- Meyer, K. 1986. Restricted maximum likelihood to estimate genetic parameters - in practice. In: Proc. 3rd World Congr. Genet. Appl. Livest. Prod., Lincloln, NE, USA, X: 455-459.
- Meyer, K., Brotherstone, S., Hill, W. G. and Edwards, M. R. 1987. Inheritance of linear type traits in dairy cattle and correlations with milk production. Anim. Prod. 44:1-10.
- Norris, D., Selapa, N. W., Banga, C. B. and Ngambi, J. W. 2008. Estimation of (Co) Variance Components for Type Traits in Charolais Cattle. J. Biol. Sci. 8(1):229-232.
- Pearson, K. 1991. On line and planes of closet fit to systems of points in space. Philosophical Magazine, Sep. 6(2):559-572.
- Roughsedge, T., Brotherstone, S. and Visscher, P. M. 2000. Effect of cow families on type traits in dairy cattle. Anim. Sci. 60:391-398.
- Royal, M. D., Pryce, J. E., Woolliams J. A. and Flint, A. P. F. 2002. The genetic relationship between commencement of luteal activity and calving interval, body condition score, production, and linear type traits in Holstein Friesian dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 85:3071-3080.
- SAS, 2004. SAS/STAT 9.1 User's Guide Volume 1. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC., USA.
- Setatti, M. M., Norris, D., Banga C. B. and Benyl, K. 2004. Relationships between longevity and linear type traits in Holstein cattle population of Southern Africa. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 36:807-814.
- Vagi, J. 1997. Utilisation of population genetic multivariate methods in the evaluation of results of cattle type traits judgment. Acta Biol. Hung. 48:105-112.
- Veerkamp, R. F. and Brotherstone, S. 1997. Genetic correlations between linear type traits, food intake, live weight and condition score in Holstein Friesian dairy cattle. Anim. Sci. 64:385-392.
- Vesela Z., Pribyl, J., Safus, P., Vostry K. Seba, K. and Stolc, L., 2005. Breeding value for type traits in beef cattle in the Czech Republic. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 50:385-393.
- Vukasinovic, N., Moll, J. and Kunzi, N. 1997. Factor analysis for evaluating relationships between herd life and type traits in Swiss Brown cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 49:227-234.
저자의 다른 논문
- 2005 "돼지 melanocortin-4 receptor (MC4R) 유전자의 경제형질과의 연관성에 관한 연구" 생명과학회지 = Journal of life science 15 (6): 968~971
- 2006 "MTDFREML 방법과 Gibbs Sampling 방법에 의한 한우의 육질형질 유전모수 추정" 한국동물자원과학회지 = Journal of animal science and technology 48 (3): 337~344
- 2011 "한우 씨수소의 근교계수와 유효집단크기의 추정" 한국동물자원과학회지 = Journal of animal science and technology 53 (4): 297~302
- 2011 "한우의 도체 형질이 경제성에 미치는 영향" Korean journal for food science of animal resources = 한국축산식품학회지 31 (4): 603~608
- NDSL :
- 한국축산학회 : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기