Comparison of Functional Constituents and Biological Activity of the Seed Extracts from Two Mulberry Fruits
The seeds from two mulberry fruits [Morus alba (MA) and Cudrania tricuspidata (CT)] were examined for their oil content, and fatty acid, phytosterol and tocopherol compositions and contents. Moreover, polyphenolic compounds and biological activity of the two defatted seed residue extracts were also evaluated. Oil contents of MA and CT seeds were 29.36% and 16.69%, respectively, while MeOH extracts of the defatted MA and CT seed residues were 5.10% and 6.22%, respectively. The two seed oils were composed of 81.4 and 74.37% linoleic, 5.75 and 11.39% oleic, 8.40 and 10.18% palmitic acid, and 3.52 and 3.0% stearic acids, and two other minor fatty acids, such as linolenic and arachidic acids. MA seed had higher contents of phytosterols (507.59 mg/100 g of oil), tocopherols (99.64 mg/100 g of oil), and total flavonoid (106.50 mg/100 g of seed) than CT seed, whereas CT seed had higher levels of total polyphenol than MA seed. The MeOH extract of MA seed residue showed higher antioxidant, anti-diabetic, and anti-melanogenic activity than that of CT seed residue. trans-Resveratrol (9.62 mg/100 g), quercetin (54.83 mg/100 g), and 4-prenylmoracin (48.70 mg/100 g), were found to be the main polyphenolic components in the MeOH extract of MA seed residue. These results indicate that MA seeds are good sources of essential dietary phytochemicals with antioxidant, anti-diabetic and anti-melanogenic activity.
- Hasler CM. 1998. Functional foods: Their role in disease prevention and health promotion. Food Technol 52: 63-70.
- Kim HK. 2004. Current status and prospect of nutraceuticals.Food Indus Nutr 9: 1-14.
- Gonzalez-Paramas AM, Esteban-Ruano S, Santos-BuelgaC, Pascual-Teresa S, Rivas-Gonzalo JC. 2004. Flavanol content and antioxidant activity in winery byproducts. J Agric Food Chem 52: 234-238.
- Shrikhande AJ. 2000. Wine byproducts with health benefits.Food Res Int 33: 469-474.
- Parry J, Su L, Moore J, Cheng Z, Luther M, Rao JN, WangJY, Yu LL. 2006. Chemical composition, antioxidant capacities, and antiproliferative activities of selected fruit seed flours. J Agric Food Chem 54: 3773-3778.
- Maier T, Schieber A, Kammerer DR, Carle R. 2009.Residues of grape (Vitis vinifera L.) seed oil production as a valuable source of phenolic antioxidants. Food Chem 112: 551-559.
- Bakowska-Barczak AM, Schieber A, Kolodziejczyk P.2009. Characterization of Canadian black currant (Ribes nigrum L.) seed oils and residues. J Agric Food Chem 57: 11528-11536.
- Kim HJ, Cha JY, Choi ML, Cho YS. 2000. Antioxidative activities by water-soluble extracts of Morus alba and Cudrania tricuspidata. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol43: 148-152.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (3)
- Lee, Yu-Jin ; Kim, Eun-Ok ; Choi, Sang-Won 2011. "Isolation and Identification of Antioxidant Polyphenolic Compounds in Mulberry (Morus alba L.) Seeds" 한국식품영양과학회지 = Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 40(4): 517~524
- Jeon, Hye Lyun ; Hong, Yoon Pyo ; Lee, Ji Hyun ; Kim, Hyung Don ; Kim, Mee Ree 2012. "Antioxidant Activities and Quality Characteristics of Mulberry Concentrate, Freeze-dried Mulberry, and Pomace" 한국식품영양과학회지 = Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 41(10): 1402~1408
- Jeong, Yong Tae ; Kang, Min Ju ; Kim, Jin Hee 2015. "Melanogenesis Inhibitory Activities of Mulberry Seed Ethanol Extracts" 大韓化粧品學會誌 = Journal of the society of cosmetic scientists of Korea, 41(3): 263~268
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기