Changes in Nutritional Components throughout Germination in Paddy Rice and Brown Rice
The aim of this study was to investigate changes in 7 nutritional components (fatty acid, protein, fat, ash, total dietary fiber (TDF), $\gamma$ -aminobutyric acid (GABA), and $\gamma$ -oryzanol) of paddy rice (PR) and brown rice (BR) throughout the germination process, as measured at different shoot lengths (10 mm, 20 mm, and 30 mm). With the increase of shoot length, the nutritional components' concentrations increased, as compared to the concentrations measured before germination. Moreover, BR exhibited higher GABA, $\gamma$ -oryzanol, and protein than PR. Among the components, TDF, GABA, and $\gamma$ -oryzanol showed significant concentration differences throughout germination, while the others exhibited only slight variations. In particular, GABA and $\gamma$ -oryzanol were predominantly increased in grains of 10 mm shoot length. These compounds might prove to be important factors from germinated rice. Additionally, the germinated cultivar 'Keunnun' might also prove to be a very important food source, owing to its high GABA and $\gamma$ -oryzanol contents. These results suggest that variations in nutritional components related to the increase of shoot length may prove to be important when considering the beneficial aspects of rice on human health.
- Zhang L, Hu P, Tang S, Zhao H, Wu O. 2005. Comparative studies on major nutritional components of rice with a giant embryo and a normal embryo. J Food Biochem 29:653-661.
- Kallithraka S, Salacha MI, Tzourou I. 2009. Changes in phenolic composition and antioxidant activity of white wine during bottle storage: accelerated browning test versus bottle storage. Food Chem 113: 500-505.
- Yang F, Basu TK, Ooraikul B. 2001. Studies on germination and antioxidant contents of wheat grain. J Food Sci Nutr 52: 319-330.
- Komatsuzaki N, Tsukahara K, Toyoshima H, Suzuki T,Shimizu N, Kimura T. 2007. Effect of soaking and gaseous treatment on GABA content in germinated brown rice. J Food Eng 78: 556-560.
- Rimsten L, Haraldsson AK, Anderson R, Alminger M,Sandberg AS, Aman P. 2003. Effects of malting on beta-glucanase and phytase activity in barley grain. J Sci Food Agric 82: 904-912.
- Mikola K, Brinck O, Jones BL. 2001. Characterization of oat endoproteinases that hydrolyze oat avenins. Ceral Chem 78: 55-58.
- Subba Rao MV, Muralikrishna G. 2002. Evaluation of the antioxidant properties of free and bound phenolic acids from native and malted finger millet (ragi, Eleusine coracana Indaf-15). J Agric Food Chem 50: 889-892.
- Lee YR, Kim JY, Woo KS, Hwang IG, Kim KH, KimKJ, Kim JH, Jeong HS. 2007. Changes in the chemical and functional components of Korean rough rice before and after germination. Food Sci Biotechnol 16: 1006-1010.
- Chung YM, Lee JC, Kim KS, Eun JB. 2001. Chemical compositions of 26 varieties of Korean rice straw. Food Sci Biotechnol 10: 267-271.
Rogers EJ, Rice SM, Nicolosi RJ, Carpenter DR,McClelland CA, Romanczyk Jr LJ. 1993. Identification and quantitation of
$\gamma$-oryzanol components and simultaneous assessment of tocols in rice bran oil. J Am Oil Chem Soc70: 301-307.
- Woo SM, Jeong YJ. 2006. Effect of germinated brown rice concentrates on free amino acid levels and antioxidant and nitrite scavenging activity in kimchi. Food Sci Biotechnol 15: 351-356.
- Tran TU, Suzuki K, Okadome H, Ikezaki H, Homma S,Ohtsubo K. 2005. Detection of changes in taste of japonica and indica brown and milled rice (Oryza sativa L.) during storage using physicochemical analyses and a taste sensing system. J Agric Food Chem 53: 1108-1118.
- Ramezanzadeh FM, Rao RM, Windhauser M, PrinyawiwatkulW, Tulley R, Marshall WE. 1999. Prevention of hydrolytic rancidity in rice bran during storage. J Agric Food Chem 47: 3050-3052.
- Genkawa T, Uchino T, Inoue A, Tanaka F, HamanakaD. 2008. Development of a low-moisture-content storage system for brown rice: storability at decreased moisture contents. Biosystems Eng 99: 515-522.
Xu Z, Godber JS. 1999. Purification and identification of compounds of
$\gamma$-oryzanol in rice bran oil. J Agric Food Chem 47: 2724-2728.
Xu Z, Hua N, Godber JS. 2001. Antioxidant activity of tocopherols, tocotrienols, and
$\gamma$-oryzanol components from rice bran against cholesterol oxidation accelerated by 2,20-azobis(2-methylpropionamidine) dihydrochloride. J Agric Food Chem 49: 2077-2081.
- Ang JF, Crosby GA. 2005. Formulating reduced-calorie foods with powered cellulose. Food Technol-Chicago 59: 35-38.
- Yu L, Adams A, Watkins B. 2009. Comparison of commercial supplements containing conjugated linoleic acid. J Food Compos Anal 114: 20-27.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Method 923.03. Association of Official Analytical Communities, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Kim SL, Berhow MA, Kim JT, Chi HY, Lee SJ, ChungIM. 2006. Evaluation of soyasaponin, isoflavone, protein, lipid, and free sugar accumulation in developing soybean seeds. J Agric Food Chem 54: 10003-10010.
- AOAC. 1997. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Method 923.03 and 991.43. Association of Official Analytical Communities, Gaitherburg, MD, USA.
- Oh SH, Oh CH. 2003. Brown rice extracts with enhanced levels of GABA stimulate immune cells. Food Sci Biotechnol 12: 248-252.
Zhang G, Brown AW. 1997. The rapid determination of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid. Phytochemistry 44: 1007-1009.
- Chotimarkorn C, Benjakul S, Silalai N. 2008. Antioxidant effects of rice bran extracts on refined tuna oil during storage. Food Res Int 41: 616-622.
- Singh N, Singh H, Kaur K, Bakshi MS. 2000. Relationship between the degree of milling, ash distribution pattern and conductivity in brown rice. Food Chem 69: 147-151.
- Tsugita T, Kurata T, Kato H. 1980. Volatile components after cooking rice milled to different degrees. Agric Biol Chem 44: 835-840.
- Wennermark B, Ahlmen H, Jagerstad M. 1994. Improved vitamin E retention by using freshly milled whole-meal wheat flour during drying. J Agric Food Chem 43: 1348-1351.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (4)
- 2011. "" Korean journal of crop science = 韓國作物學會誌, 56(4): 413~419
- Kwak, Ji-Eun ; Yoon, Sung-Won ; Kim, Dae-Jung ; Yoon, Mi-Ra ; Lee, Jeong-Heui ; Oh, Sea-Kwan ; Kim, In-Hwan ; Lee, Jun-Soo ; Lee, Jeom-Sig ; Chang, Jae-Ki 2013. "Changes in Nutraceutical Lipid Constituents of Pre- and Post-Geminated Brown Rice Oil" 한국식품영양학회지 = The Korean journal of food and nutrition, 26(3): 591~600
- Eo, Geum Hee ; Kim, Jung Tae ; Bae, Joo Eun 2014. "Effects of Sanitary Education Administered to Elementary and Middle School Foodservice Employees with Work Experience" 대한영양사협회 학술지 = Journal of the Korean dietetic association, 20(4): 296~305
- Mahmud, MM Chayan ; Das, Animesh Chandra ; Lee, Seul-Ki ; Kim, Tae-Hyeong ; Oh, Yejin ; Cho, Yoo-Hyun ; Lee, Young-Sang 2016. "Germination-Induced Changes in Flavoring Compound Profiles and Phytonutrient Contents in Scented Rice" Korean journal of crop science = 韓國作物學會誌, 61(4): 242~250
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기