Determination of Suitable Kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea var. gongylodes) Cultivars for Pickle Preparation
This study was designed to determine the best cultivar of kohlrabi for making pickles among KM-1 (Worldcol), KM-2 (Bejo), KM-3 (Takii), and KM-4 (Monsanto) cultivars. The initial pH of pickles was different in all cultivars; however, they all had a pH in the range of 3.81~3.86 after 28 days of storage. The pickles made from KM-4 had the lowest acidity, while there was no significant difference in acidity among the KM-1, KM-2, and KM-3 pickles. The salinity of all kohlrabi pickles was consistent during the storage period. The changes of color values were accelerated in the following order: KM-4>KM-1>KM-2>KM-3. Though kohlrabi pickles were non-fermented, the change in reducing sugar contents was similar to that of a fermented pickle. The highest value of reducing sugar content was found in pickles made with KM-4. In all cases, the firmness of the pickle decreased as time of storage increased. On the initial day, KM-4 pickle showed the highest firmness with 807.4 g. KM-4 also showed the highest firmness on the 28th day of storage with 602.3 g. In sensory evaluation, the KM-4 pickle exhibited the highest texture (hardness) among the pickles. The pickle made with the KM-4 cultivar showed relatively higher firmness of texture than other cultivars, suggesting that KM-4 could be utilized in other kinds of processed foods, in addition to being pickled.
- Kim AJ, Han MR, Woo N, Kang SJ, Lee GS, Kim MH.2008. Physicochemical properties of Korean ginseng pickleswith Chija and Omija. Korean J Food Nutr 21: 524-529.
- Collins P. 2006. Real slow food. The New Scientist 192:63-65.
- Park BH, Jeon ER, Kim SD, Cho HS. 2009. Changes in the quality characteristics of lotus root pickle with beet extract during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38:1124-1129.
- Jeong JE, Shin JE, Hwang KJ, Lee JW, Kim SI. 2009.Changes in the components and acceptability of cucumber-hot pepper pickles during storage. Korean J FoodCookery Sci 25: 345-349.
- Kim AJ, Han MR, Joung KH, Cho JC, Park WJ, HanCW, Chang KH. 2008. Physiological evaluation of KoreaGinseng, Deoduk and Doragi pickles. Korean J Food Nutr21: 443-447.
- Jun HA, Yoon JY, Hwang JS, Joo NM. 2004. Optimization on organoleptic characteristics of cauliflower pickles.Korean J Food Culture 19: 193-199.
- Son EJ, OH SH, Heo OS, Kim MR. 2003. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of turnip pickle added with chitosanduring storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32:1302-1309.
- Bartolome LG, Hoff JE. 1972. Firming of potatoes: biochemical effects of preheating. J Agric Food Chem 20:266-270.
- Yook C. Chang K, Park KH, Ahn SY. 1985. Pre-heating treatment for prevention of tissue softening of radish root kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 17: 447-453.
- Fleming HP, Thompson RL, Mcfeeters RF. 1996. Assuring microbial and textural stability of fermented cucumbers by pH adjustment and sodium benzonate addition. J Food Sci 61: 832-836.
- Mcfeeters RF, Fleming HP, Thompson RL. 1985. Pectinesterase activity pectin methyl methylation and texture changes during storage of blanched cucumber slices. J Food Sci 50: 201-205.
- Fleming HP, Mcfeeters RF, Thompson RL. 1987. Effects of sodium chloride concentration on firmness retention of cucumbers fermented and stored with calcium chloride.J Food Sci 52: 653-657.
- Lee JW, Han EH, Cho JG, Baek NI, Lee YH. 2009.Isolation of glucosylglycerides from the red kohlrabi sprouts (Brassica oleracea var. gongylodes). Abstract No. 162 presented at Annual Meeting of the Korean J Hort Sci Technol. Gyeongsang National University, Gyeongnam, Korea.
- Gerendas J, Breuning S, Stahl T, Sundermann MV,Muhling KH. 2008. Isothiocyanate concentration in kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea L. var. gongylodes) plants as influenced by sulfur and nitrogen supply. J Agric Food Chem56: 8334-8342.
- Chadwick J. 1995. The busy person's guide to preserving foods. Story books, Vermont, USA. p 115-139.
- Mustoe S. 2006. Turkish cookery. SAQI, England. p 40-157. London.
- Ku KH, Park WS, Lee KA. 2005. Effects of process conditions on the color and firmness of salted radish root (Danmooji) at model system. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr34: 1477-1484.
- Jeong TS, Jeong EJ, Lee SH. 2008. Effects on the quality characteristics of Mul-kimchi with Omija (Schizandra chinensisBaillon) water extract. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr37: 1301-1306.
- Fleming HP, McFeeter RF, Daeschel Ma, Humphries EG,Thompson RL. 1988. Fermentation of cucumbers in anaerobic tack. J Food Sci 53: 127-133.
- Yang YH, Park SH, Ann SM, Kim KM, Kim MR. 2005.Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of Mul-kimchi (Watery Kimchi) prepared with red cabbage. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 15: 574-581.
- Kim JG, Choi HS, Kim SS, Kim WJ. 1989. Changes in physicochemical and sensory qualities of Korean pickledcucumbers during fermentation. Korean J Food SciTechnol 21: 838-844.
- Zhao D, Ding X. 2008. Studies on the low-salt Chinese potherb mustard (Brassica juncea, Coss.) pickle. I－The effect of a homofermentative L(+)-lactic acid producer Bacillus coagulans on starter culture in the low-salt Chinesepotherb mustard pickle fermentation. LWT 41: 474-482.
- Lim JW, Moon JS, Kim HD, Na DJ, Son JY. 2004.Changes quality characteristics of Kimchi by storagecontainers. Korean J Food Nutr 17: 80-85.
Fleming HP, Etcheoos JL, Thompson RL, Bell TA. 1975. Purging of
$CO_2$from cucumber brines to reduce bloater damage. J Food Sci 40: 1304-1310.
- Der PW, Huang CB, Chi CP. 1988. Desalination of the spent brine from pickled prunes processing by electrodialysis.J Food Sci 53: 134-137.
- Oh YA, Lee MJ, Kim SD. 1990. Changes in the pectic substances during ripening of salted cucumber pickle. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 19: 143-150.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- Lee, Hee Yul ; Park, Kyung Sook ; Joo, Ok Soo ; Hwang, Chung Eun ; Ahn, Min Ju ; Jeong, Young Sim ; Hong, Su Young ; Kwon, Oh Kyung ; Kang, Sang Soo ; Yuk, Heung Joo ; Kim, Haeng-Ran ; Park, Dong-Sik ; Cho, Kye Man 2015. "Changes in Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia L.) Pickle during Ageing" 한국식품영양과학회지 = Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 44(3): 401~411
- Kim, Ki-Bbeum ; An, Dong-Gi ; Hwang, Su-Young ; Nam, Jung-Suk ; Choi, Soo-Keun 2015. "Quality Characteristics of Radish Pickle added with Different Amounts of White Wine" 한국조리학회지 = The Korean journal of culinary research, 21(4): 72~85
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기